Home

CPU Attempts Too Many Long FG's

This is a discussion on CPU Attempts Too Many Long FG's within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2007, 12:22 AM   #1
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30
CPU Attempts Too Many Long FG's

Anyone notice there's not much to the field position game this year? It seems like the CPU will attempt the FG from anywhere inside the 40. They attempt 57 and 58 yarders all the damn time. In turn, their pooch punt game takes a major hit, and I almost never get pinned deep. Not to mention, every time they miss one of these kicks (which is most of the time) I'm getting the ball in great field position.

My question is, strategically, what are we doing about this? Would it be an option to let them make these kicks? Since it's cheese for them to be trying them in the first place, it's kind of awkward to have them miss them all.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2007, 12:35 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: CPU Attempts Too Many Long FG's

i was going to write the same exact thing you just did. also, the computer loves fakes. if they are anywhere between my 40 and the 50 they do a fake punt about 65% of the time. also, they love going for it when it is 4th and 2 and around the 20-25 yard line.....no matter what the score is and how much time is left. sort of kills the game when they start doing this.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:17 AM   #3
Imperator

Anaxamander's Arena

OVR: 19

They must've tried to make the CPU play more like online cheesers or something. I've seen them go for it on their own 20 in the first quarter. I'm surprised they don't drop back 20 yards and put wide receivers in at QB.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:23 AM   #4
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxamander
They must've tried to make the CPU play more like online cheesers or something. I've seen them go for it on their own 20 in the first quarter. I'm surprised they don't drop back 20 yards and put wide receivers in at QB.
Theres always 09 for that. Wouldnt sliders help here, I dont think it would prevent them from trying them, but it would prevent them from making the 55+ fgs. Just a slight tweak on the sliders, so they dont always miss them.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:03 AM   #5
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
Wouldnt sliders help here, I dont think it would prevent them from trying them, but it would prevent them from making the 55+ fgs. Just a slight tweak on the sliders, so they dont always miss them.
Well that's exactly what I'm asking about. I mean, put it this way: Is it better to have the CPU get punished for idiotically attempting 55+ yard FG's, or should we just let them have a decent chance (say 40/60) of making them?

It's quite the catch-22. If you give them the chance to make them, all of a sudden 'field goal range' becomes the 40. That blows. But if you make it so they miss all of them, that guarantees better field position than you've truly earned.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2007, 06:04 AM   #6
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

The default leg power of kickers in the game is ludicrous. The sliders need to be toned down. I was just criticized by Corso and company for passing on a 54 yard field goal attempt on 4th and 3 and going for it. Most college kickers can't reach 54 yards let alone make it. I think in 2005 there were only 99 successful kicks in college from 50+ yards. That means that the average team made one 50+ yard field goal all year but the game seems to think this should happen all the time.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:02 AM   #7
Bacon

CM1847's Arena

OVR: 19

I saw more missed kicks with default sliders than I have since toning down the CPU accuracy and length sliders. My issue is that they are NEVER short on a kick, EVER. If they line up to kick a FG the kicker will 100% of the time get the ball far enough to make it, if you lower the accuracy slider enough they will be wide left or right on occasion.

I hate this, as the OP said, it takes out any sense of field position in the game. If you tune down the accuracy you will get the ball near hte 40 where they kicked from, if you leave the slider up they will get 3 points everytime they get inside hte 40. The only times I start from inside my own 20 are when I cause a turnover down there. Maybe once every 2-3 games will the CPU actually punt a ball that is too deep for me to return.

It should be a point of emphasis for EA next year, at least you can see some missed FGs this year, I think that was their only goal this time around, now they need to completely re-haul the CPU kicking game in terms of their going for it logic and stop making every kicker an NFL prospect. I had a freshman kicker put in a 53 yarder against me as time expired to send a game into OT, in the first game of his career.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:13 AM   #8

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

My experience on the PS2 has been the exact opposite. The CPU goes for it on 4th down WAY too much. Even from within the 30 yard line on 4th and long.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »