Home

Most Frustrating Aspect of NCAA 08

This is a discussion on Most Frustrating Aspect of NCAA 08 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #49
Rookie

racoon007's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Most Frustrating Aspect of NCAA 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
Most frustrating aspects of NCAA 08?

1. The passing game.

Precision passing is a joke; ball trajectory and speed is a joke; balls hitting WR's in the face is a joke; DB's jumping routes while your WR stands in one place is a joke; and I'm sure there's a couple more jokes to be had that I'm not thinking of.

2. Playing pass defense.

You cannot play football - at least not in any meaningful, strategic way - if stopping the pass is virtually impossible. Zone or man, dime or nickel, blitz or drop nine: the CPU will complete passes at will. About the only chance to stop the pass is to get bailed out by some ridiculous interception or by the CPU throwing short of the first down.

3. Interceptions.

A lot of guys like to say that all the interceptions they throw are their fault, and that there's no real issue with user picks. Watching replays and such often shows this to be the case, I'll admit. However, most of us have been playing this franchise long enough now that we should not be throwing 15 and 20 interceptions per season with a 97 or 98 rated QB, plain and simple. Likewise, unless I've done some serious work in recruiting a DB corps with multiple guys 94+, my secondary should not be housing three and four All-Americans every year.

4. Fumbles.

Imposing a 'cover up' button is a nice idea, but let's be honest here: it sucks. Ball carriers should fumble at a rate consistent with their ratings in conjunction with the tackle rating of the guy making the hit.

5. The CPU's dumb playcalling.

As above, you cannot play football in a meaningful, strategic way if the CPU does not react to your playcalling in a meaningful, strategic way. If I'm consistently running nickel zones, why in the hell does the CPU keep passing? (Oh, wait, because they're completing all their passes - see #2). Why aren't they checking to a pass if I'm stacking the box? Why are they running the option with a pocket QB? On defense, why is it that when I run the ball successfully on five straight plays they are in pass defense when I finally mix in a throw? I'll tell you why: because this is the same playcalling engine we've been seeing for ten years.
I am really surprised that no one mentioned the terrible run blocking in this game. epecially when running to the outside. Every time I run a play my blockers never pick up their assingment and just run off in one direction allowing the runner to get tackled for a 5 yard lose.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #50
MVP

GJEM's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmg
set knockdowns at 85, int at 10 and dumb cpu ints are gone. I had a K-State dynasty going and through 5 games we had 16 ints, i started over with these adjustments to my sliders and through 4 games we have 6 ints. You might get a little ticked off because now they will drop alot of ints
I'm sorry my previous post I quoted the wrong thing.

Has anybody tried this? Timmg do you set this for both CPU and User? I'll try anything at this point. Just like others have mentioned, I'm tired of getting handed an automatic 4-6 wins just because my DB's are all of the sudden the best players in D1 and I'm using Wyoming.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #51
Pro

OVR: 7

What can get me fired up is when the CPU will rush 3 ang get to your QB, but you can bring 6-7 guys and amazingly no-one gets through somehow.

You can pass for 10-11 straight plays & call a shotgun Spread draw but the CPU AI will be in 4-3 ready for the run. Safety's not ever biting on a pump fake, PA either not working at all, or working extremely well.

JTS..Just get rid of that if you can't implement it right...No way my entire OL should get blown up like that, just not realistic at all..And sad thing is it isn't as bad as last year.

OL Blocking..Why do my linemen release the DE right before I get there ANd if he would've held him 1 more second, I had a nice run set up. Same with my FB, Watch him run and block someone I wasn't running toward, but miss the LB running at me.

Option, Need to have a rating or slider setting or somethin. No way should Penn State be as fluent as WVU when running the option.They almost always make the right pitch at the right time. But you try it first time late in the season, CPU AI acts like they've been waitin on it all day.

FUn Game, Just aggrivating at times...I won't go into the whole INT debacle since that horse has been beaten enough.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2007, 02:29 PM   #52
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoon007
I am really surprised that no one mentioned the terrible run blocking in this game. epecially when running to the outside. Every time I run a play my blockers never pick up their assingment and just run off in one direction allowing the runner to get tackled for a 5 yard lose.
This bugs me too.....Just too many other things wrong I guess.
Or perhaps I got used to it on old gen '07 where blockers just did dumb stuff like pick up a blitzing free safety and letting the DT come in untouched. Or just standing there doing nothing with defenders waltzed around.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #53
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoon007

Weird, I haven't had any problems with the running game. I actually think it's too easy. Once you break a run outside with a fast RB its usually a huge gain. There are some plays, especially draws out of the shotgun, where you hand it off and ur RB and if someone breaks thru the line and u do get suction-tackled. I think the running game is fine its just the passing game that needs work.

One year its too easy to throw deep the next its impossible. Go figure
Old 10-03-2007, 06:53 PM   #54
MVP

timmg's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJEM
I'm sorry my previous post I quoted the wrong thing.

Has anybody tried this? Timmg do you set this for both CPU and User? I'll try anything at this point. Just like others have mentioned, I'm tired of getting handed an automatic 4-6 wins just because my DB's are all of the sudden the best players in D1 and I'm using Wyoming.
yes its for cpu & user, i got tired of the cpu always throwing ints in the red zone. Your dbs still play the ball, but they wont pick it off every time. TRY IT
Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #55
MVP

GJEM's Arena

OVR: 12

All I can say is WOW, I thought the day that I share this would be the day hell froze over. I just used Timmg KNDW and INT sliders and I went through an entire game WITHOUT an INT...yes 0. I played BGSU vs. EMU although not powerhouses still, I kept waiting on the CPU to throw a pick and it never came. EMU passed 27 times I deflected 4 passes they had the ball 17:33 and the game went into O.T.. I did not sim anything playing all downs and I normally control just one player. Anyways just wanted to share for anybody that is about to give up on the game. So now I'm finally going to start my Wyoming dynasty with realistic results. I'll see how they play through a whole year. Thanks timmg!

I did use these just for USER because I found a slider set that I don't have a problem with USER throwing INT's just the CPU.

KNDW-85
INT-10

*They look weird but so far it's the magic combo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2007, 08:05 PM   #56
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJEM
All I can say is WOW, I thought the day that I share this would be the day hell froze over. I just used Timmg KNDW and INT sliders and I went through an entire game WITHOUT an INT...yes 0. I played BGSU vs. EMU although not powerhouses still, I kept waiting on the CPU to throw a pick and it never came. EMU passed 27 times I deflected 4 passes they had the ball 17:33 and the game went into O.T.. I did not sim anything playing all downs and I normally control just one player. Anyways just wanted to share for anybody that is about to give up on the game. So now I'm finally going to start my Wyoming dynasty with realistic results. I'll see how they play through a whole year. Thanks timmg!

I did use these just for USER because I found a slider set that I don't have a problem with USER throwing INT's just the CPU.

KNDW-85
INT-10

*They look weird but so far it's the magic combo.
Not to rain on your parade, but it's just a coincidence, dude. The last few games I played were with INTs and knockdowns at 100 for both sides (just messing around to see what would happen) and I didn't see anything crazy happen with INTs. I threw a couple and the CPU threw like 3 in 3 games. It's been my stance from the beginning that the bottom line is that neither slider does much of anything; the INT problem just is what it is.

Last edited by Village Idiot; 10-05-2007 at 08:14 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »