Home

NCAA Next-Gen vs. Old-Gen

This is a discussion on NCAA Next-Gen vs. Old-Gen within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #25
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: NCAA Next-Gen vs. Old-Gen

I think it is pretty sad that this is even a debate at all.

This is the second edition of NCAA on the next gen, and EA's 3rd year of next gen football. I don't recall any threads titled "Which is better, PS1 or PS2?" 5 years ago.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2007, 08:05 AM   #26
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Thanks for the opinions guys, I'll probably go out and get this after xmas. Thanks especially to PSU_DW2 for your in depth opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 12-17-2007, 09:06 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I think it is pretty sad that this is even a debate at all.

This is the second edition of NCAA on the next gen, and EA's 3rd year of next gen football. I don't recall any threads titled "Which is better, PS1 or PS2?" 5 years ago.
I believe the main reason for this is because the jump from PS2 to PS3 and XBOX to XBOX 360 is not that big of a leap. Many will disagree but the Big 3 moved on the there next consoles to soon. I hope we can get a longer life span for the 360 and PS3, can't forget the Wii. Peace.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:01 AM   #28
MVP

drlw322's Arena

OVR: 24

how is the presentation on the current gen

Old 12-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #29
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlw322
how is the presentation on the current gen
Non existant. The PS2 version is superior in every aspect, including player models, except that the PS2 version has automatic FG's and the pursuit angles were so broken that the game was unplayable.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 4

I haven't played last gen 2008, but I do own last gen 2007 and I going by conventional wisdom that 2008 improves on 2007, then I agree 2008 last gen is an overall more solid game than current gen.

Without a doubt, last gen's engine is a much more solid and optimized for its platforms while the current gen engine definitely needs more work. 2007 was much smoother, i'm sure the browsing the menus feels so great compared to current gen, player models are better and i'd still be coaching my own school in Dynasty mode. However, I do remember giving up big plays in 2007 because of the poor pursuit angles, that was definitely a problem and I remember because of it I was scared to call man coverage without two zone safeties. And oh I do remember the much better presentation. The pre-game booth analysis from the commentators, the shot of the team running out the tunnel, the camera pans through the crowd, the on-field referees and chain gang, the shots of the coach's reaction to events on the field (made me feel more like a coach seeing "myself" out there), and of course, the actual emphasis on stadium rowdiness. That last one in particular is a major characteristic of college football and absolutely should be highlighted in future current gen installments. I'm sorry but I have to say, the presentation overall still sucks compared to 2K's efforts. I don't see any real excuse why a game released 3-4 years ago with the same media license still has presentation that blows this and Madden's out of the water (ESPN NFL 2K5).

But to be fair, on the other hand, the post-patch current gen with sliders that work for me is a game I can be satisfied with until 2009. I currently have competitive games with realistic turnovers and effective passing games. The Campus Legend mode has an edge in that you actually play out the climax of your high school career and get your stats and star ranking based on your performance. And the recruiting is a step in the truth realism direction. And then of course (i'm not sure if this in last gen), accurately modeled stadiums. I've been a number of games at Michigan Stadium and look and feel of the stadium in the game is definitely familiar.

Overall, last gen is easily more solid and current gen is still very much "under construction". Current gen is playable for me but still leaves much to be desired for next year.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:28 AM   #31
Banned

bsb13's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
the pursuit angles were so broken that the game was unplayable.
Is this true even on the heisman level?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #32
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsb13
Is this true even on the heisman level?
it is true but the fix is not to hit the burst button before you cross the line of scrimage.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »