Home

Will we ever have realistic overthrows?

This is a discussion on Will we ever have realistic overthrows? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-04-2007, 02:54 PM   #9
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69
Re: Will we ever have realistic overthrows?

I have never seen a bounced pass on the PS3 but I have seen some very low fingertip ones that had to be reviewed to verify the pass. It's never been a trap though. I do however overthrow my receivers quite a bit. Usually on crossing routes when I am scrambling out of the pocket, that usually leads to me leading the receiver too much, but that has made for some really good stretch catches. I overthrow the receivers on deep routes plenty too and it makes me sick! I have a guy wide open and I just miss him, drives me crazy, LOL.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Old 12-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 6

I've had a few overthrows on the 360. Usually if I'm leading the receiver on a cross route while stepping or running toward him. It definitely needs to happen more often though. Same with tipped passes. Bounced passes. Hell, maybe even a muffed pass every now and again during precip weather games.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #11
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

This all ties into my biggest want in the passing game when it comes to Madden/NCAA - dynamic catches. Right now we have a bunch of catch animations that track the ball to the hands - it often looks fine but can sometimes look strange as the ball changes in trajectory all of a sudden. This system also makes realistic accuracy on the QB's behalf harder to pull off, and quite 'systematic' when they are inaccurate (i.e. looks the same each time like it's just another preset animation).

What the engine needs is to scrap every catch animation in the game and simply have guys dynamically track their arms and hands to the ball. That way, positioning, arm length, and the ability to go and get balls can be represented realistically, and at the same time it will make poorer WR's harder to complete a pass to outside of them just flat out dropping it. They need to work on more errant throws too but with a system like this, velocity, ball positioning, area of contact on the hands/chest etc can dictate catches, and it would create a game where the target you're throwing to has a huge impact on what's overthrown or not. I.e. throwing an overthrown ball to Moss would be much harder than it is to overthrow a Titans WR
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4

Geez, preach it brother! Those underthrows frustrate the hell out me -- even after the patch. I am playing with Air Force whose QB has a THP rating of 89. Unfortunately, he will constantly underthrow receivers, which usually results in an int. I like to run the HB sideline go route, but even when he is wide open, my QB will underthrow him considerably and it will be right over the middle no-less..

QBs might be accurate in this game, but there is no threading the needle or control over where the balls can be placed. LBs and DL in this game are like warhawks who constantly know where the ball will be. And with the underthrows, then it just sucks to even try to complete anything.

Last edited by Strngboy; 12-05-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:41 PM   #13
Pro

Soonerd2's Arena

OVR: 7

I throw the ball 40+ times a game and I overthrow recievers mainly on corner routes. (I do roll out though, generally off play action) It's not the overthrow that the thread is calling for though. I agree, the game needs passes where the ball just sails on him. On an out route or something.

I want the reciever to be able to catch the ball with his shoulders parallel to the line of scrimmage. Like on a swing pass. Trips with the two outside recievers blocking down. Or just my RB out of the backfield in the flat.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:55 PM   #14
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

completly agree with the OP.. i do believe OT are the main reason why the passing game is not good enough.

hope they tweak this for next version.
Not only 1 o 2 overthrows, i do mean make them regular.. they are extremely regular.. most incomplete passes are UT, OT.

also they need to make DB and WR react properly..What i´m saying sometimes my QB undethrow a WR and the WR has the ability to SUPER REACT, cut in a dime, go back and catch the pass... soo unrealistic...
Old 12-05-2007, 11:36 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
I haven't played NCAA in a while, but the thought crossed my mind watching both college and pro football this weekend. Every pass in a video game is either caught, dropped, intercepted, swatted away, or a bullet pass that is incomplete (note "bullet", a really fast pass).

Never do you completely overthrow a guy running a fly down the field, never do you throw the out pass above a guy's head. Never do you bounce pass a ball to a reciever. The ONLY way to get incompletions is to miss a "bullet" pass on a slant or something. Because nearly EVERY ball gets made a play on, it makes things different than real life (and must affect the DB balance). People want good completion percentages, but because defenders touch more balls in the game than real life, that affects things (interceptions, etc).

Just wondering if anyone else noticed this. I know they're just games, but I saw a lot of QB's sail balls over the weekend, and not once do we get that in games.

since the patch (ps3) i've had quite a few overthrown balls. They actually stand out now b/c I can remember yelling at my QB like it was his fault. come to think of it, it was his fault!! You gotta make that pass!!

but seriously, I've had my share, I have them more on crossing patterns, I'll have a man wide open and can't connect, but as far as a "go" route, don't recall too many of those, hell, I usually don't have enough time to look down field, my line is weak at the moment (2nd yr dynasty)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2007, 11:40 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
I have never seen a bounced pass on the PS3 but I have seen some very low fingertip ones that had to be reviewed to verify the pass. It's never been a trap though. I do however overthrow my receivers quite a bit. Usually on crossing routes when I am scrambling out of the pocket, that usually leads to me leading the receiver too much, but that has made for some really good stretch catches. I overthrow the receivers on deep routes plenty too and it makes me sick! I have a guy wide open and I just miss him, drives me crazy, LOL.
i've seen a couple of "traps" get reversed, it was pretty cool

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »