Home

Old 01-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5

I have'nt played this on next gen yet, but is this game really that far away from being a really good title? I'm playing 07 on the ps2 right now, and although the dynasty mode has a kind of a bare bones feeling to it, it is definitely playable and is doing a good job of filling my gaming time.

From what I've read about the ps3 and xbox 360 versions, if they make a couple of gameplay tweaks here and there, it should be pretty good. I would also like to see them add some type of coaching carousel and a few other administrative duties for the dynasty to aid the immersion factor.

Anybody have some thoughts on this? Is there hope that EA can turn the corner with this franchise? If they can just make a real solid game, (gameplay mostly) not spectacular but solid, it would have eons of replay value for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2008, 02:16 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: 09

Was this a silly topic? I'm just trying to justify my impending ps3 purchase with a little hope. I will accept negative responses as well.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

'08 next gen does alot of things right. The stadiums look great. The shrine and ability to save hilights are cool etc. EA does nail alot of the nuances of college football.

But I have 3 issues that really restrict my enjoyment of the game.

1. CPU Ints. The CPU seems to throw 3-4 Ints a game, with at least one going back for a TD. This turns close games into blowouts, and keeps me in games that I don't have any business being competitive.

2. User pics. I know there are OS'ers who will disagree with me, but I get frustrated by the passing game. It seems like my success is not based upon my read of the play, but rather the whims of the CPU defense. Sometimes it will let me complete the pass, other times defenders are able to break on the ball before my receiver for easy pics.

3. Menus are very slow. I think I am the only one bothered by this, but I find navigating menus to be very annoying. I use to love browsing all the stats in dynasty mode, but now it is so tedius, it really takes away from the enjoyment. (This is 360 though....maybe not an issue on PS3?)
Old 02-08-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Pro

Soonerd2's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
'08 next gen does alot of things right. The stadiums look great. The shrine and ability to save hilights are cool etc. EA does nail alot of the nuances of college football.

But I have 3 issues that really restrict my enjoyment of the game.

1. CPU Ints. The CPU seems to throw 3-4 Ints a game, with at least one going back for a TD. This turns close games into blowouts, and keeps me in games that I don't have any business being competitive.

2. User pics. I know there are OS'ers who will disagree with me, but I get frustrated by the passing game. It seems like my success is not based upon my read of the play, but rather the whims of the CPU defense. Sometimes it will let me complete the pass, other times defenders are able to break on the ball before my receiver for easy pics.

3. Menus are very slow. I think I am the only one bothered by this, but I find navigating menus to be very annoying. I use to love browsing all the stats in dynasty mode, but now it is so tedius, it really takes away from the enjoyment. (This is 360 though....maybe not an issue on PS3?)
I agree with you.

1. The CPU INT's are bad. I have just resorted to super-sim on defense.

2. As for my passing game, when the CPU tries to screw me over, I won't let them I'll user catch and cut off the DB, this works reall well accept for out routes but those are usually the user's fault. User catch solves alot of problems in the passing game. The only passes I do not user catch are quick slants, because switching will throw the timing off on that route.

3. You aren't the only one with the menu headaches man. I can't stand it either. Every time I try and hang up the phone with a recruit I have to do the "are you sure you want to hang up" option atleast twice.

I think special teams need to be addressed in a bad way. Nothing about it looks real to me.

The commentary, wow. Have you ever noticed that once in a while you will hear something you have never heard before. weird. I can finish every sentence, for the most part, that the commentators are going to say. CHANGE IT UP!

Alot of people have given up on this game long ago, but I am still playing the hell out of it. I'm too much of a college football fan to not play the games so I'll have 09 reguardless.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerd2
The commentary, wow. Have you ever noticed that once in a while you will hear something you have never heard before. weird. I can finish every sentence, for the most part, that the commentators are going to say. CHANGE IT UP!

Alot of people have given up on this game long ago, but I am still playing the hell out of it. I'm too much of a college football fan to not play the games so I'll have 09 reguardless.
Much of the commentary is the same as '03. I do think NCAA has one of the best announcing teams in sports video games....but there is still no excuse not to have a fresh new batch of commentary each year. That is one of those things that no matter how could it is one year, it can always be added to the next year.

I too get hooked in because I enjoy college football. The game still does enough right to lure me in. And I sure hope '09 will get back to the level that '04 was......but I can't say it is an automatic purchase for me. The last 2 seasons have been frustrating with alot of time spent in slider hell.......'07 (old gen) had the momentum feature to torment me, '08 (new gen) had the interception thing......I can't deal with anything else like that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2008, 11:55 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

I would like to see more of the college fight songs (a small clip just doesn't do it for me).

Or at least the ability to add more myself.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:38 AM   #7
Pro

Soonerd2's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreenpc
I would like to see more of the college fight songs (a small clip just doesn't do it for me).

Or at least the ability to add more myself.
I coud be way wrong here, but didn't an older version of madden play your music off your hard drive on the PA during the game inbetween plays and replays and stuff.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:54 AM   #8
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

well if you have it on 360, you can just play the music using the xbox guide blade, it will then mute the music in the menus on NCAA. i never tried it when on the field though, so i dont know what it would do then.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »