Home

Reading Defense

This is a discussion on Reading Defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2008, 02:18 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Reading Defense

Can somone tell me things to look for that will help me know what kind of defense people are in. Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Reading Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepoundstone
Can somone tell me things to look for that will help me know what kind of defense people are in. Thanks

I think the trick is to see all 11 on defense. Sort of use your peripheral vision and look at the entire defense. Don't worry about looking at your receivers because you know where there will be. Watch the 4 db's. Identify the coverage. The coverage will dictate where and when to thorw the ball. And If you read the defense incoreectly you will probally throw a pick. The quicker you learn to read defenses the better qb you will be. and don't look at the rush. You gotta "feel" the presure. Practice.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
MVP

heitkamp94's Arena

OVR: 9

Sending a man in motion is a great way to read whether its man or zone. Not only does it expose the coverage of the DB's but it will sometimes cause shifts in the Lb's that can give away a blitz. Also man coverage blitzes are more common than zone.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

I was just going to suggest sending a guy in motion. If someone follows him the whole way, it's man. If not, it's zone.

Of course, I'm not the best person to get advice from. i think I through almost 40 INTs last season in my dynasty... ya, it's that bad. I just struggled passing when I got behind.

I was good for the first 5 games of this season... I had thrown 6 TDs and 4 INTs. Then I blew up in my last game and threw 5 INTs.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
MVP

davin's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
I was just going to suggest sending a guy in motion. If someone follows him the whole way, it's man. If not, it's zone.

Of course, I'm not the best person to get advice from. i think I through almost 40 INTs last season in my dynasty... ya, it's that bad. I just struggled passing when I got behind.

I was good for the first 5 games of this season... I had thrown 6 TDs and 4 INTs. Then I blew up in my last game and threw 5 INTs.
In one season, through the first 10 games, I was at about a 25 TD to 3 INT. I threw 7 interceptions in the final 3 games, and barely threw any passing TDs. It seems once I am shocked by how accurate I am, and actually think about it, I just blow it and throw INTs left and right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

also look at the basics

for instance, some teams have unique defensive schemes, like air force, which usually leads to either 1 deep safety or 3, telling you that, if 1 deep s, that you should have some deep options, but if there are 3 deep, then you'll have your choice of underneath passes

also, if you see cbs or olbs creeping to the line, keep your eyes on who they should be manning up on (if the guy blitzes, you should have an easy quick pass, but be sure to not delay throwing too long or the safety will likely be there to break it up)

if all else fails, come out in a 4 wide set with both inside guys running out routes, works 90+% of the time
Old 02-13-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
Pro

Soonerd2's Arena

OVR: 7

Just watch the OLB's. If they come up to the line and don't lame a minor adjustment it's zone. It's man if they slide over a foot or two. If in doubt use motion.

I feel the same way about our QB's btw. You can be doing amazing and there is always like 3 or 4 passes a game tha are just flat out off target. I guess it just depends on the route if you get picked off. I think thats why you have 5TD games and 5INT games.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
Pro

TrevJo's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin
In one season, through the first 10 games, I was at about a 25 TD to 3 INT. I threw 7 interceptions in the final 3 games, and barely threw any passing TDs. It seems once I am shocked by how accurate I am, and actually think about it, I just blow it and throw INTs left and right.
Yeah I was kicking butt in season 3 with Idaho, I completed my first 20 passes or so before I threw a pick in game 2, then still finished with a 200+ rating in game 2. Then in game 3 against Hawaii I got behind and my RB got hurt, so I pretty much abandoned the run, which is something I never do. Threw 3 picks in the 2nd half (including a pick-six) to fall behind by 24 points, nearly pulled off the miracle comeback after that, but in the end the picks killed me, broke my 17-game winning streak. Got too confident in my passing game I guess.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »