Home

recruiting limitations

This is a discussion on recruiting limitations within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19
Icon3 recruiting limitations

I've been signing too much talent. I try not to, but I end up overdoing. Sometimes the CPU adds on 4* players I don't even want, and I usually cut most of them.

I've always went pretty heavy on 3* guys. I've had two top 3 classes in a row and I'm gonna tone it down.

I only have 11 slots opening up, plus any early entries. I play with Ole Miss and I still target 35, but here's how I started in pre-season.

5* - 1 (in-state CB)
4* - 4 (3 of the 4 are interested, the other is a QB, I'm losing the starter)
3* - 13 (Most are in-state or pipeline states. All may be, I can't remember)
2* - 12 (Same as above, I quit looking at 2* prospects around the 1200-1300 overalls)

I have to put in-state guys at the top of the board. So that puts some 2*s in higher than most of the 4*s.

I'm only gonna offer 11 players in week one. When one of those commits elsewhere, I'll offer another in his place.

I'm only offering 2 uninterested prospects on each side of the ball, max. Even several of the 2 and 3 * guys aren't interested right off the bat.

I may oversign, but it will only be by 4-6. I'm trying to avg out my classes.

I'm working on limiting promises. I'll be thinking of something for that.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? I may not get to do much this weekend with the game. I writing a paper I'm taking a break on at this moment.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: recruiting limitations

It may take a while to balance your roster out, but I always limit the number of players at a certain position to recruit each year. But I try to recruit at least one player at each position, every year.
If I can get a full class I try to get.
Qb 1
Rb 3
Wr 2
Te 1
OL 4
DL 3
LB 3
DB 4
K/P 1
thats 22 a year, but if there is real need, I may alter it a bit.
In 4 seasons with early draft and redshirts each Sr class usually drops to around 16-18.
What this also does is makes it so (example) you don't have 2 Sr FS grad and no backups. Plus I switch some positions like CB to S or a OT to OG to fill up the depth chart with experienced players.
I think this also makes it realistic because if my Sr QB grads then the next guy in line may be a RS Jr Qb that was a 3 star or a Soph that was a 4 star and are close in ratings so there is a position battle.

I also limit myself in that when I am going after multiple players at a position and offering scholarships, once I fill up my spots I stop recruiting the other players at that position. Even if I get the 15th rated Qb, I don't continue recruiting the 5th rated.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #3
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboospine1998
It may take a while to balance your roster out, but I always limit the number of players at a certain position to recruit each year. But I try to recruit at least one player at each position, every year.
Qb 1
Rb 3
Wr 2
Te 1
OL 4
DL 3
LB 3
DB 4
K/P 1
In 4 seasons with early draft and redshirts each Sr class usually drops to around 16-18.
What this also does is makes it so (example) you don't have 2 Sr FS grad and no backups. Plus I switch some positions like CB to S or a OT to OG to fill up the depth chart with experienced players.
I think this also makes it realistic because if my Sr QB grads then the next guy in line may be a RS Jr Qb that was a 3 star or a Soph that was a 4 star and are close in ratings so there is a position battle.

I also limit myself in that when I am going after multiple players at a position and offering scholarships, once I fill up my spots I stop recruiting the other players at that position. Even if I get the 15th rated Qb, I don't continue recruiting the 5th rated.
I agree with pretty much all of that. I hate having to cut players. I'd rather them go to the rival and make them more competitive. I try to keep Qb's spread apart a little. I like having at least a 2 yr gap. I like a strong arm and big QB. I always keep a QB on the roster that is fast, mid to upper 80's spd just to have a change of pace. Plus it's easier to get a 3 * mobile QB to separate the others. I normally stairstep all the positions like you said.

Thanks for the response. I'm already looking forward to mid-July. I only played about 4 or 5 seasons of Dynasty in July/August and put the game down. Some time over Xmas break I picked it back up and now I'm in 2015 and going strong.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:13 AM   #4
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Qb 1
Rb 3
Wr 2
Te 1
OL 4
DL 3
LB 3
DB 4
K/P 1

Interesting. This seems more like a strategy than a limitation. I might have to try this, especially with the QB's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 03-02-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshiznetno1
Interesting. This seems more like a strategy than a limitation. I might have to try this, especially with the QB's.
Yeah, it kind of is strategy, but it limits you from loading up at several positions. I want a full roster regardless. I just don't want star players rotting on the bench. I hardly have anyone transfer either. It's more or less strategy to keep from over recruiting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
Yeah, it kind of is strategy, but it limits you from loading up at several positions. I want a full roster regardless. I just don't want star players rotting on the bench. I hardly have anyone transfer either. It's more or less strategy to keep from over recruiting.

Yeah I guess it is more of a strategy or approach to recruiting rather than a limitation.
I always look at it like if one year I can get the #1 Qb (like ND w/ Claussen) and the next season I can get a top 3 like Christ, then fair play to me. But I don't see many schools getting QB's of that quality in one season. Also if after getting Claussen I can only sign some 3 stars for a year or two and then bring in a top 5 guy it creates a position battle.
My dynasties are usually Maryland, and sometimes a second with FAU. So its not like I am automatically going to have all the 5 * guys interested right away.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

Quote:
Yeah I guess it is more of a strategy or approach to recruiting rather than a limitation.
I always look at it like if one year I can get the #1 Qb (like ND w/ Claussen) and the next season I can get a top 3 like Christ, then fair play to me. But I don't see many schools getting QB's of that quality in one season. Also if after getting Claussen I can only sign some 3 stars for a year or two and then bring in a top 5 guy it creates a position battle.
My dynasties are usually Maryland, and sometimes a second with FAU. So its not like I am automatically going to have all the 5 * guys interested right away.
That's about what I do, unless it is an in-state guy or something. I still let them go on occasion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »