Home

recruiting limitations

This is a discussion on recruiting limitations within the NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
MVP
 
jdrhammer's Arena
 
OVR: 19
Join Date: Feb 2008
Icon3 recruiting limitations

I've been signing too much talent. I try not to, but I end up overdoing. Sometimes the CPU adds on 4* players I don't even want, and I usually cut most of them.

I've always went pretty heavy on 3* guys. I've had two top 3 classes in a row and I'm gonna tone it down.

I only have 11 slots opening up, plus any early entries. I play with Ole Miss and I still target 35, but here's how I started in pre-season.

5* - 1 (in-state CB)
4* - 4 (3 of the 4 are interested, the other is a QB, I'm losing the starter)
3* - 13 (Most are in-state or pipeline states. All may be, I can't remember)
2* - 12 (Same as above, I quit looking at 2* prospects around the 1200-1300 overalls)

I have to put in-state guys at the top of the board. So that puts some 2*s in higher than most of the 4*s.

I'm only gonna offer 11 players in week one. When one of those commits elsewhere, I'll offer another in his place.

I'm only offering 2 uninterested prospects on each side of the ball, max. Even several of the 2 and 3 * guys aren't interested right off the bat.

I may oversign, but it will only be by 4-6. I'm trying to avg out my classes.

I'm working on limiting promises. I'll be thinking of something for that.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? I may not get to do much this weekend with the game. I writing a paper I'm taking a break on at this moment.
jdrhammer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
Pro
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bawlmer
Re: recruiting limitations

It may take a while to balance your roster out, but I always limit the number of players at a certain position to recruit each year. But I try to recruit at least one player at each position, every year.
If I can get a full class I try to get.
Qb 1
Rb 3
Wr 2
Te 1
OL 4
DL 3
LB 3
DB 4
K/P 1
thats 22 a year, but if there is real need, I may alter it a bit.
In 4 seasons with early draft and redshirts each Sr class usually drops to around 16-18.
What this also does is makes it so (example) you don't have 2 Sr FS grad and no backups. Plus I switch some positions like CB to S or a OT to OG to fill up the depth chart with experienced players.
I think this also makes it realistic because if my Sr QB grads then the next guy in line may be a RS Jr Qb that was a 3 star or a Soph that was a 4 star and are close in ratings so there is a position battle.


I also limit myself in that when I am going after multiple players at a position and offering scholarships, once I fill up my spots I stop recruiting the other players at that position. Even if I get the 15th rated Qb, I don't continue recruiting the 5th rated.
Bamboospine1998 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #3
MVP
 
jdrhammer's Arena
 
OVR: 19
Join Date: Feb 2008
Re: recruiting limitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboospine1998
It may take a while to balance your roster out, but I always limit the number of players at a certain position to recruit each year. But I try to recruit at least one player at each position, every year.
If I can get a full class I try to get.
Qb 1
Rb 3
Wr 2
Te 1
OL 4
DL 3
LB 3
DB 4
K/P 1
thats 22 a year, but if there is real need, I may alter it a bit.
In 4 seasons with early draft and redshirts each Sr class usually drops to around 16-18.
What this also does is makes it so (example) you don't have 2 Sr FS grad and no backups. Plus I switch some positions like CB to S or a OT to OG to fill up the depth chart with experienced players.
I think this also makes it realistic because if my Sr QB grads then the next guy in line may be a RS Jr Qb that was a 3 star or a Soph that was a 4 star and are close in ratings so there is a position battle.


I also limit myself in that when I am going after multiple players at a position and offering scholarships, once I fill up my spots I stop recruiting the other players at that position. Even if I get the 15th rated Qb, I don't continue recruiting the 5th rated.
I agree with pretty much all of that. I hate having to cut players. I'd rather them go to the rival and make them more competitive. I try to keep Qb's spread apart a little. I like having at least a 2 yr gap. I like a strong arm and big QB. I always keep a QB on the roster that is fast, mid to upper 80's spd just to have a change of pace. Plus it's easier to get a 3 * mobile QB to separate the others. I normally stairstep all the positions like you said.

Thanks for the response. I'm already looking forward to mid-July. I only played about 4 or 5 seasons of Dynasty in July/August and put the game down. Some time over Xmas break I picked it back up and now I'm in 2015 and going strong.
jdrhammer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:13 AM   #4
Asst 2 the Comm Manager
 
TheShizNo1's Arena
 
OVR: 33
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 25,482
Re: recruiting limitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboospine1998
It may take a while to balance your roster out, but I always limit the number of players at a certain position to recruit each year. But I try to recruit at least one player at each position, every year.
If I can get a full class I try to get.
Qb 1
Rb 3
Wr 2
Te 1
OL 4
DL 3
LB 3
DB 4
K/P 1
thats 22 a year, but if there is real need, I may alter it a bit.
In 4 seasons with early draft and redshirts each Sr class usually drops to around 16-18.
What this also does is makes it so (example) you don't have 2 Sr FS grad and no backups. Plus I switch some positions like CB to S or a OT to OG to fill up the depth chart with experienced players.
I think this also makes it realistic because if my Sr QB grads then the next guy in line may be a RS Jr Qb that was a 3 star or a Soph that was a 4 star and are close in ratings so there is a position battle.


I also limit myself in that when I am going after multiple players at a position and offering scholarships, once I fill up my spots I stop recruiting the other players at that position. Even if I get the 15th rated Qb, I don't continue recruiting the 5th rated.
Interesting. This seems more like a strategy than a limitation. I might have to try this, especially with the QB's.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
Just once I'd like to be the one they call a jerk off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya


...
TheShizNo1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
MVP
 
jdrhammer's Arena
 
OVR: 19
Join Date: Feb 2008
Re: recruiting limitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshiznetno1
Interesting. This seems more like a strategy than a limitation. I might have to try this, especially with the QB's.
Yeah, it kind of is strategy, but it limits you from loading up at several positions. I want a full roster regardless. I just don't want star players rotting on the bench. I hardly have anyone transfer either. It's more or less strategy to keep from over recruiting.
jdrhammer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
Pro
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bawlmer
Re: recruiting limitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
Yeah, it kind of is strategy, but it limits you from loading up at several positions. I want a full roster regardless. I just don't want star players rotting on the bench. I hardly have anyone transfer either. It's more or less strategy to keep from over recruiting.

Yeah I guess it is more of a strategy or approach to recruiting rather than a limitation.
I always look at it like if one year I can get the #1 Qb (like ND w/ Claussen) and the next season I can get a top 3 like Christ, then fair play to me. But I don't see many schools getting QB's of that quality in one season. Also if after getting Claussen I can only sign some 3 stars for a year or two and then bring in a top 5 guy it creates a position battle.
My dynasties are usually Maryland, and sometimes a second with FAU. So its not like I am automatically going to have all the 5 * guys interested right away.
Bamboospine1998 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
MVP
 
jdrhammer's Arena
 
OVR: 19
Join Date: Feb 2008
Re: recruiting limitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboospine1998
Yeah I guess it is more of a strategy or approach to recruiting rather than a limitation.
I always look at it like if one year I can get the #1 Qb (like ND w/ Claussen) and the next season I can get a top 3 like Christ, then fair play to me. But I don't see many schools getting QB's of that quality in one season. Also if after getting Claussen I can only sign some 3 stars for a year or two and then bring in a top 5 guy it creates a position battle.
My dynasties are usually Maryland, and sometimes a second with FAU. So its not like I am automatically going to have all the 5 * guys interested right away.
That's about what I do, unless it is an in-state guy or something. I still let them go on occasion.
jdrhammer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 AM.

Top -