Home

Anyone Else Not Agree With Shifty Moves on Left Stick and Spin on Right?

This is a discussion on Anyone Else Not Agree With Shifty Moves on Left Stick and Spin on Right? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-09-2008, 06:47 AM   #9
MVP

drlw322's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Anyone Else Not Agree With Shifty Moves on Left Stick and Spin on Right?

i was thinking about it, i think it will work like Fifa's skill stick. It works very well. Also NHL 08 had the same type feature. both used L and R stick but it was triggered by holding the L2 or LT trigger. (i think)

Old 03-09-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

I don't think the new stick play should be the main attraction, but the new moves are nice, as well as needed. Also, they need to make the stiff-arm animation visible. I also want to see more Truckin' like the good ole days. The moves added on '08 are nice additions, but they left the old ones out.

What worries me is that they said you'll likely see more long runs means the D will suck again.

I'd still like to see them tone down, or make you use your speed bursts wisely.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

I'm fine with it (PS3). It's no different than say, NBA2K8 or FIFA08 with the Right Analog Stick and using the Left Analog for directional movement. Actually, face buttons take less user skill IMO. It shouldn't be easy to pull of a great move by just pushing a button.

There will always be the classic control scheme though, so not to worry.

Edit: Whoops, didn't read drwl32's post. My thoughts exactly. They just need the defense to be on a level playing field or it will be arcade football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I think the control will be fine once getting used to it. My bigger inquiry however is how the HB's will be differentiated. For instance, yeah McFadden is doing all that juking and what not, but please don't tell me a guy like Jorvorskie Lane will be setting guys up shimmy, shimmy. I wonder how this is going to work for a guy like that. He should have an entirely different set of power moves like a stiff arm that actually works, shoulder charge. But as he charges some people over (larger defenders), he should lose his balance and you should have to regain it with the stick.

Also hopefully this means that we will be using the R stick to catch the ball. And please get rid o all those Rocket Catch and Spectacular Catch. Or at least let people defend it.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
In theory it sounds very intuitive to me, but implementation is everything of course.

There are tons things to consider, but one of the major keys will be if they give the defense its own set of animations(with the same level of user control) to balance out what the offense has. If not the offense will be too overpowered.
Agreed and that's my biggest concern since it is being marketed as "Break Away."
Old 03-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

Knowing madden, they will spend one year focusing on something new and innovating and the next year correcting it lol. Hopefully they'll tweak the defense so the jukes are not too overpowering. I dont want cedric benson shaking and baking.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #15
MVP

davin's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I think the control will be fine once getting used to it. My bigger inquiry however is how the HB's will be differentiated. For instance, yeah McFadden is doing all that juking and what not, but please don't tell me a guy like Jorvorskie Lane will be setting guys up shimmy, shimmy. I wonder how this is going to work for a guy like that. He should have an entirely different set of power moves like a stiff arm that actually works, shoulder charge. But as he charges some people over (larger defenders), he should lose his balance and you should have to regain it with the stick.

Also hopefully this means that we will be using the R stick to catch the ball. And please get rid o all those Rocket Catch and Spectacular Catch. Or at least let people defend it.
That is one thing that concerns me as well. I wish there was more mass to bigger players. I hate seeing a guy like Lane get destroyed by a 165 pound corner. If Lane is running through the hole, a 5'10 165 corner shouldn't demolish Lane. Also, I hope the backs are a lot more specialized in the game, more divided between speed and power and even balanced (and in balanced, I would like it to be so that it is not so easy for them to become amazing backs). Power backs right now are really not where it is at, the cpu is especially bad about using power backs. I am tired of seeing toss sweeps as half the runs with an 84 speed runningback.

Hopefully there is also a defensive feature to counter this "Break Away" system. Or if not feature, something that counters it from making an 80 overall back a monster game in and game out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #16
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I'll wait and see how well it works and how its implemented before I pass judgment on the new control(s). I must admit though I am intrigued by it.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »