Home

It's time for the "DB Jump 60" and Swat the Ball" animation to die.

This is a discussion on It's time for the "DB Jump 60" and Swat the Ball" animation to die. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #17
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: It's time for the "DB Jump 60" and Swat the Ball" animation to die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
Didn't they fix the second one in Madden last year?
Man, I haven't played Madden in years
Old 04-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #18
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

I remember batted down passes on PS2, but on PS3, it's jump 60" and INT. I hardly see batted down balls.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:31 PM   #19
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewaat
How about they have off target passes this year haha. Seriously why can't my QB just let one go about 10 yards too far...

WITHOUT IT GETTING PICKED OFF

The % of balls that actually hit the ground clean in the game is probably like 10%...or probably even lower.

Great thread though. DB/WR interaction is a huge part of the game.
great post, this is my #1 complain on NCAA/MADDEN and any football game i played.
overthrows/under throws are no exist while IRL they are the most common incomplete results.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:08 AM   #20
Rookie

Jethown's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21
great post, this is my #1 complain on NCAA/MADDEN and any football game i played.
overthrows/under throws are no exist while IRL they are the most common incomplete results.
It makes me wonder if EA developers actually watch football...
Old 04-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 6

I still don't think football games can progress any further in realism/immersion without going to an analog approach to passing.

Take MLB 2k8 (or the MVP NCAA series from EA). Throwing from base to base with the analog stick provides just enough challenge to make fielding (or in football's case, passing) something we have to work to do.

Now all we do is hike the ball and hope one of a few things happens:

A) Our receiver totally breaks away from coverage and makes for an easy target
B) We try our best to throw a ball over the top of a linebacker who can jump 50 feet in the air
C) we somehow get a perfect lob pass deep for a huge gain

With an analog system (done right, not some lame attempt at it which fails miserably) we could have precision passing that allowed us to place balls where we wanted and how fast we want it to get there. This would also help with the possibility of underthrown/overthrown passes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #22
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios12787
I still don't think football games can progress any further in realism/immersion without going to an analog approach to passing.

Take MLB 2k8 (or the MVP NCAA series from EA). Throwing from base to base with the analog stick provides just enough challenge to make fielding (or in football's case, passing) something we have to work to do.

Now all we do is hike the ball and hope one of a few things happens:

A) Our receiver totally breaks away from coverage and makes for an easy target
B) We try our best to throw a ball over the top of a linebacker who can jump 50 feet in the air
C) we somehow get a perfect lob pass deep for a huge gain

With an analog system (done right, not some lame attempt at it which fails miserably) we could have precision passing that allowed us to place balls where we wanted and how fast we want it to get there. This would also help with the possibility of underthrown/overthrown passes.
That's an interesting idea but its probably very difficult to implement and do right. The user would still have to push a button to select the right receiver as you often have more than one player in an area of the field. Hitting a button and then using the r-stick would probably annoy a lot of people potentially worse than the vision cone. The button press and time it takes to push it needs to get better.

They still need to provide QB accuracy ratings for short vs. long passes as well as a quick release rating. Those two areas would really let you see some significant differences between QBs.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #23
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

The problem is EA..They cant get it right, its either under done or overdone. I really like the fact that the game makes you play smart & make good decisions. The problem is realism, DB not looking at the ball & running routes better than WR etc. I mean its almost impossible to get separation on even inferior talent. WR should be able to separate coming out of breaks, even against the best players.. Recovery is where great DB's make plays but its like they run the routes better than the WR's... The touch is off in the passing game so its almost impossible to throw over LB's between the hashes. I'm starting to believe EA just cant program this to be realistic without it being too easy or too hard.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 6

In response to the comments on my analog passing post:

Yes there are usually two or more receivers in the same area but if you implement a GOOD sensitive analog throwing system you can make it work to a point that you actually have to aim well in order to hit where you want to go.

If you combine this with the vision cone (old version where it automatically comes up and not having to move the stick to get it to show up) you could have two ways of measuring the precision of the pass.

1) The vision cone in the right area
2) The right amount of push / angle on the stick

I know it isn't going to be implemented anytime soon but it is still one of my hopes in a football game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »