Home

Playbooks

This is a discussion on Playbooks within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 30
Re: Playbooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Offensively, they need the ability to run most running plays to the strong & weak sides in most formations. For example, in the I formation, I should be able to run iso, lead, blast, toss, sweep, ect to the strong & weak sides. EA mostly has one or the other.
You can. I believe it's hot route then right stick.

On another hand, what happened to custom playbooks?
Old 04-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Offensively, they need the ability to run most running plays to the strong & weak sides in most formations. For example, in the I formation, I should be able to run iso, lead, blast, toss, sweep, ect to the strong & weak sides. EA mostly has one or the other.

And they just need more plays. There are basic pass pattern combinations still missing from the game.

Defensively, I think they need to change the play calling format. Similar to offense, EA needs blitzes & slants to the strong & weak sides. I should be able to blitz my MLB to the strong or weak A gap in ALL 4-3 defenses. I should be able to blitz my weak and/or strong OLBs from any base defense.

Instead of trying to add all combinations, they should change the format & let us combine them ourselves. Instead of calling the set, then the shift, then the defense, they should:

let us call the set, then the blitzes/stunts, then the coverage. So, if I want to blitz my MLB & LOLB, I don't have to look for the 3 defenses that allow for that. I could do it from any defensive set with a MLB & LOLB. Or if I want man 2 coverage, I'm not stuck with the blitz package in the 3 or so man 2 defenses.

I know they have to allow for folks less knowledgable about football. Instead of allowing us to call any blitz from any set with any coverage, provide only options that work with what's been called previously. From a 4-3 there will be a set of blitzes & stunts that can be run. Once you call a blitz/stunt package, that would limite what coverages you have available.
yes yes yes yes yes. exactly. i think there was a football game out at one point (nfl 2k series?) where you did basically assemble each defensive call, starting with the line stunts/shifts, moving on to linebacker coverages/blitzes and ending with the secondary. This would be a HUGE remedy to the defensive playbooks, which are even thinner than offense. Personally, i love using the 46/bear alignment but there are only 10 or so plays to choose from and the only zone blitz available rushes 8 defenders, not a play i like to use with any regularity. I wonder if EA just refuses to implement such a system due to some sort of game-development ego, because it seems pretty obviously superior to me.

Also, soldier: I know! custom playbooks used to be the only ones i used and they are MIA on next gen. It's like peanut butter with no jelly. Or bananas even.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:35 PM   #11
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
You can. I believe it's hot route then right stick.
I meant without having to audible

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
On another hand, what happened to custom playbooks?
What happened to creat-a-play? That's what I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHorra
yes yes yes yes yes. exactly. i think there was a football game out at one point (nfl 2k series?) where you did basically assemble each defensive call, starting with the line stunts/shifts, moving on to linebacker coverages/blitzes and ending with the secondary.
Gameday maybe?

Quote:
This would be a HUGE remedy to the defensive playbooks, which are even thinner than offense.
Yeah, it would increase the number of defensive play calls by 10 fold just by changing the play call method.

Quote:
I wonder if EA just refuses to implement such a system due to some sort of game-development ego, because it seems pretty obviously superior to me.
I think they don't know how to have the offense react to what we would be able to do. The current blocking mechanics can't even account for nano blitzing. I think it's why they don't add much of what we want. Every change probably exposes more problems in their engine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2008, 06:47 PM   #12
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
I think they don't know how to have the offense react to what we would be able to do. The current blocking mechanics can't even account for nano blitzing. I think it's why they don't add much of what we want. Every change probably exposes more problems in their engine.
With slide protection back in the game, it should be easier to pick up blitzes. Nothing more frustrating than an OL not using an inside-out pass blocking scheme. Free runs at my QB by an inside blitz drive me nuts.

I do agree with you about the playbooks. I'd like to see a 2K style of defense where you pick your defensive front and then the coverage. I personally don't like defensive hot routes. I think its a little ridiculous to make a defensive call and then to proceed to hot route a bunch of guys to do different things. I'd rather have a more extensive playbook than an elaborate hot routing scheme.

I'd like to see some basic pass plays come into the game as well. There aren't enough slants in the game and NCAA made that pass, as well as comeback routes, too dangerous to use regularly. There were times when you wanted to attack a certain part of the field and you felt limited in how to do it with the playbooks last year. It doesn't sound like they really added much to them though. We'll have to see.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:21 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Gameday maybe?
Gameday/Gamebreaker definitely didn't do it on the PS1.

I know 2K5 and APF let you pick the DL play and then a back 7 play.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:56 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I do agree with you about the playbooks. I'd like to see a 2K style of defense where you pick your defensive front and then the coverage. I personally don't like defensive hot routes. I think its a little ridiculous to make a defensive call and then to proceed to hot route a bunch of guys to do different things. I'd rather have a more extensive playbook than an elaborate hot routing scheme.
The defensive hot routes would almost be acceptable if the CPU didn't get to the line and snap the ball as soon as everyone was set 90% of the time. It's been my experience that once i get to the player whose assignment i want to change, the play begins and i am in no man's land.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #15
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
With slide protection back in the game, it should be easier to pick up blitzes. Nothing more frustrating than an OL not using an inside-out pass blocking scheme. Free runs at my QB by an inside blitz drive me nuts.
I'm glad slide protection is back, but the blocking AI needs improvement. OL shouldn't stand around because no one was lined up over them. They should provide help to a certain side. Same for RBs.

Quote:
The only "hot routes" I want are the ability to shade my corners inside/outside, have them press/bail and drop my SS into the box. I wouldn't use more than that as it would disturb the defense.

Quote:
I'd like to see some basic pass plays come into the game as well. There aren't enough slants in the game and NCAA made that pass, as well as comeback routes, too dangerous to use regularly. There were times when you wanted to attack a certain part of the field and you felt limited in how to do it with the playbooks last year. It doesn't sound like they really added much to them though. We'll have to see.
Too often I can't find a call to match what I want to do on a certain play. The basic patterns you mention are in too few plays. I think the offensive play calling system needs an update too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 6
Location: PA, but born & rasied in Hollis, Queens NY. MM username: jkhaalis991

Quote:
The defensive hot routes would almost be acceptable if the CPU didn't get to the line and snap the ball as soon as everyone was set 90% of the time. It's been my experience that once i get to the player whose assignment i want to change, the play begins and i am in no man's land.
I agree. I get to the line and I want to put my FS on a man, I have to switch to the FS, press x, left stick the option "choose man", then select the man I want the FS to cover. By that time the CPU has already hiked the ball b4 I can finish. What I would like them to put in the game(they had this feature in one of the madden series)is you can assign your best cover guy to the opponents best WR. That made it more realistic. Also why did they take out where you can see who had the advantage on offense & defense? Remember when you could move the R stick down & it would tell who was tired, who was fresh, if some1 on the OLINE was weak against some1 on the DLINE? I loved that feature.

I have been apart of "The Tradition" since NCAA started online dynasties. Come check it out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »