Home

Which School Should Be #1?

This is a discussion on Which School Should Be #1? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #25
Rookie

GetYaWeigtUp's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Which School Should Be #1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Here's the thing about USC. They've won National Championships, after replacing more lost talent. Potentially the defense could be better up front than it was last year. Everson Griffen is possibly the best defensive end they've had in LA in decades.

Will they beat OSU? I have no idea, but if going on past track records they haven't had a problem beating big time teams on the road or at home, with first year starters or frehsman playing.
Not so fast my friend....Here's my issue with USC. They dont have a Carson Palmer/Matt Leinhart type player at QB anymore. they dont have a Reggie Bush/Lendale White type RB anymore, and they definately don't have a Mike Williams/Dwayne Jarrett/Steve Smith type playmaker at WR anymore. All of those guys were great. The playmakers they have now have not shown to be consistently good. McKnight is the only player who I can see exploding and carrying that offense.

The guys they have now are just talented not great yet. USC showed us last year with a veteran QB that they didn't have the same explosiveness like in years past. They ran the ball very well in a few games particularly Nebraska (but who didn't) but they never showed any ability to go downfield with any consistency. I'm not saying they won't breakthrough and get it done this year. I just dont have any reason to believe they will as right now. Pat Turner was the highest rated WR in the country his fresman year and hasnt produced anything yet. He had a chance last year to really show his ability and he faltered.

USC will be good and actually get a boost from a weak PAC-10. Oregon, Cal, and UCLA will be down from last year. All will have new QB's. Arizona State will be their only real competition.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2008, 04:26 PM   #26
Rookie

GetYaWeigtUp's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishMet89
What also suprises me is that nobodys mentioned Mizzou.
What Mizzou?
Chase Daniels arm got him to the heisman race alongside him, Jeremy Maclin he's got speed to burn. The Tigers also have not got the toughest schedule in 2008. Running games the issue though, remember Mizzou were #1 for a short period in 07.

They will be good again but I can't see them winning at Texas. Illinois will be a tough opener also. They have to replace their production at RB and TE. If they beat Illinois they will have a good chance to run the table because their schedule is weak, but they'll have to win at Texas, beat Kansas again, and then win the Big 12 championship over Oklahoma most likely. They have a easier schedule then most of the other elite teams but have to find a RB who can carry the load like Temple did last year.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #27
KOL
Charmer

KOL's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetYaWeigtUp
Not so fast my friend....Here's my issue with USC. They dont have a Carson Palmer/Matt Leinhart type player at QB anymore. they dont have a Reggie Bush/Lendale White type RB anymore, and they definately don't have a Mike Williams/Dwayne Jarrett/Steve Smith type playmaker at WR anymore. All of those guys were great. The playmakers they have now have not shown to be consistently good. McKnight is the only player who I can see exploding and carrying that offense.

The guys they have now are just talented not great yet. USC showed us last year with a veteran QB that they didn't have the same explosiveness like in years past. They ran the ball very well in a few games particularly Nebraska (but who didn't) but they never showed any ability to go downfield with any consistency. I'm not saying they won't breakthrough and get it done this year. I just dont have any reason to believe they will as right now. Pat Turner was the highest rated WR in the country his fresman year and hasnt produced anything yet. He had a chance last year to really show his ability and he faltered.

USC will be good and actually get a boost from a weak PAC-10. Oregon, Cal, and UCLA will be down from last year. All will have new QB's. Arizona State will be their only real competition.
Imagine, the OSU @ USC game could be the National Championship advert, we could see these 2 in Miami.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #28
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:

I guess we'll see. People said the same thing after Carson Palmer left. No one knew about Leinart.

As far as not having those other guys. Their backfield is very talented. CJ Gable, Stefon Johnson are as good as anyone. Actually they are very deep at RB. I am not sure the status of Marc Tyler, but he could be the best of the bunch. Joe McKnight may very well end up being the second coming of Reggie Bush. He showed the same flashes as a freshman that Bush did as a freshman.

Mark Sanchez has the tools to be the next great USC QB. At WR, Ronald Johnson, David Ausberry, Travon Johnson and the rest of the group are maturing, and are very gifted physically. Losing Fred Davis will hurt.

I guess point being, I've heard this song and dance before. We've heard they've lost to much, that they have no chance with the new players to beat some powerful OOC foe. Fact of the matter is, they aren't replacing more now than they have before, and they haven't lost to an OOC opponent outside of the UT game since 2002, while playing top schools on the road or home.

Ask Illinois how much explosiveness they lacked when they were reasonably healthy. And that was without CJ Gable.

Will they win? Again I don't know, but many fans of opposing power schools have learned the hard way about writing USC off.

Last edited by bkrich83; 05-06-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #29
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishMet89
Imagine, the OSU @ USC game could be the National Championship advert, we could see these 2 in Miami.
Going on recent history, USC will stomp OSU in to the ground, and then lose to Stanford or Arizona and blow their chance at a title.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:

And when Carson Palmer graduated everyone said USC would struggle because they didn't have a QB, only to find out they had an even better QB in the wings. With all of the 5* talent at USC, someone will step up.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:36 PM   #31
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
And when Carson Palmer graduated everyone said USC would struggle because they didn't have a QB, only to find out they had an even better QB in the wings. With all of the 5* talent at USC, someone will step up.
We'll find out right off the bat. They open at Virginia, then face OSU.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2008, 04:41 PM   #32
MVP

davin's Arena

OVR: 13

1. Georgia
2. Florida
3. USC
4. Ohio State
5. West Virginia

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »