Home

NCAA Football 09 Owen Schmitt vs DeSean Jackson OS Exclusive Video

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 09 Owen Schmitt vs DeSean Jackson OS Exclusive Video within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2008, 12:28 PM   #33
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: NCAA Football 09 Owen Schmitt vs DeSean Jackson OS Exclusive Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I think it's kind of distracting that there's no momentum. The game definitely looks good from a graphical standpoint. The QB guess the coverage thing was nice; could've been cooler if presented better. But during the whole video I don't think I gave the OL/DL/LBs a second thought. It's much like the earlier hi-def IGN video where the game appears to be fun w/two players. Watching players zip around the field with little to no regard for anything in this video seems like it might get tiring pretty quickly. As would having people backpedal forever and still throw strikes. Seems like they're definitely going back to the "speed kills" gameplay of PS2 '04 version; just not sure if it's going to have as much substance as that game had gameplay-wise.
I've come to realize that EA just cant make a true to life sim & this is the only way I will ever be able to enjoy the game. I cant understand why the pocket issue & interactions havent been addressed though we've complained for yrs but guess what? Its not changing anytime soo so I'm just rolling with it. They have the license & have finally broke me down..They win! lol
Old 05-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #34
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
The 20 yd. dropback is still in full effect I see.
If the 20 yard dropback is in I can almost guarantee nano blitzing will be there too. Also, let's realize that the difficulty level is not going to change the fact that it can be done. We go through this every year and say well they were playing on Pro or Freshman or whatever, then when we get the game we realize that it doesn't matter what they were playing on, the same thing is possible on all levels.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #35
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
If the 20 yard dropback is in I can almost guarantee nano blitzing will be there too. Also, let's realize that the difficulty level is not going to change the fact that it can be done. We go through this every year and say well they were playing on Pro or Freshman or whatever, then when we get the game we realize that it doesn't matter what they were playing on, the same thing is possible on all levels.
True..So true! Its not the level of play, its programing. Sigh
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #36
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplace
I've come to realize that EA just cant make a true to life sim & this is the only way I will ever be able to enjoy the game. I cant understand why the pocket issue & interactions havent been addressed though we've complained for yrs but guess what? Its not changing anytime soo so I'm just rolling with it. They have the license & have finally broke me down..They win! lol
I don't think they have to make a pure simulation game for it to be enjoyable myself, I just think it'd be good if the game forced users to adhere more to traditional football concepts. On one play, the QB was moving so fast from one side to the other it seemed like he ran back towards the defensive pursuit on purpose as if to taunt them. What was in this video looked custom-built for the tournament style players some people say are ruining the game. It's really not the players, it's the game itself. As LBz just pointed out about the 20yd drop and the nano-blitzes - it's almost like you have to have one in to counter the other. Particularly if Tiburon's not going to do the work to properly fix either of them. It's that rock/paper/scissors approach that's making the game more shallow than it should be imo.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 05-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
It's that rock/paper/scissors approach that's making the game more shallow than it should be imo.
And as I posted in another thread it is this formula that is the foundation of their football games and it has been the foundation for the majority of football games that were made and it all stems from the game that started it all, Tecmo Bowl. I don't think we really realize the impact Tecmo Bowl has on football games. The rock/paper/scissors approach to Tecmo Bowl has been a foundation for most games. The game was not about being realistic, it was about having fun. Everything was secondary to having fun.

EA's goal is to first produce a fun football game. I think for alot of us here on this board, Visual Concepts created sorta a problem. I love them to death, but they created a problem for us as well as for themselves. Most of the complaints about EA's game are along the lines of what VC has done with respect to blocking, tackling ect., Thus, what people want is for EA to be VC. The bad news for those people is EA is very much EA and they are going to stick to their formula because history shows that it works, it sells, it moves units. Now on the flip side, visual concepts did some things with the blocking and tackling that IMO are now dated, but the current state of games reveals that even those dated things were before their time.

But here is the important point. What they did is taken very lightly. And, it has not been shown where and why it matters. That's one reason why I think EA is not hasty in doing all that work. Their traditional formula has shown that it works, it moves units, it sells. All that stuff that VC did that many of us want them to do, I'd have to assume in their minds, it hasn't been shown where that stuff should take priority or why it matters.

I think Take Two and even Sega did VC an injustice in their WEAK marketing campaigns. They never highlighted these things and showed why it matters and why these things should become standards in football games and now they are receding into the background as somewhat irrelevant on the development side. At the end of the day, I understand EA. I don't necessarily agree, but I understand they are developing on a practical level. This formula of fun first, rock/paper/scissors, it is what put football games on the map, it is what moves units. Everything else is secondary
Old 05-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #38
Pro

JBucc's Arena

OVR: 8

I do find it kind of funny that guys who play football for a living still drop back 20 yards and roll out every play. I would like to see a QB play to see if he even attempts to stay in the pocket.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
And as I posted in another thread it is this formula that is the foundation of their football games and it has been the foundation for the majority of football games that were made and it all stems from the game that started it all, Tecmo Bowl. I don't think we really realize the impact Tecmo Bowl has on football games. The rock/paper/scissors approach to Tecmo Bowl has been a foundation for most games. The game was not about being realistic, it was about having fun. Everything was secondary to having fun.

EA's goal is to first produce a fun football game. I think for alot of us here on this board, Visual Concepts created sorta a problem. I love them to death, but they created a problem for us as well as for themselves. Most of the complaints about EA's game are along the lines of what VC has done with respect to blocking, tackling ect., Thus, what people want is for EA to be VC. The bad news for those people is EA is very much EA and they are going to stick to their formula because history shows that it works, it sells, it moves units. Now on the flip side, visual concepts did some things with the blocking and tackling that IMO are now dated, but the current state of games reveals that even those dated things were before their time.

But here is the important point. What they did is taken very lightly. And, it has not been shown where and why it matters. That's one reason why I think EA is not hasty in doing all that work. Their traditional formula has shown that it works, it moves units, it sells. All that stuff that VC did that many of us want them to do, I'd have to assume in their minds, it hasn't been shown where that stuff should take priority or why it matters.

I think Take Two and even Sega did VC an injustice in their WEAK marketing campaigns. They never highlighted these things and showed why it matters and why these things should become standards in football games and now they are receding into the background as somewhat irrelevant on the development side. At the end of the day, I understand EA. I don't necessarily agree, but I understand they are developing on a practical level. This formula of fun first, rock/paper/scissors, it is what put football games on the map, it is what moves units. Everything else is secondary
Absolutely stellar post.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #40
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

Quote:

I said in another thread the game reminds me of a college version of Tecmo Bowl with next gen graphics.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »