Home

It's not the devs, it's the testers!!!!!

This is a discussion on It's not the devs, it's the testers!!!!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2008, 03:21 AM   #33
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: It's not the devs, it's the testers!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Let's not cut EA any slack, if they really cared they would ask for community involvement to look at what they are doing.
They have asked for community involvement, and have taken advantage of that! They flew Pastapadre and cdj to NYC a month and a half ago to playtest the game and give impressions about things that needed tweaking, and made several changes based on that. Sending out betas is a complicated process. First, you can't play them on any regular console -- you need a special kind of console and they are in extremely limited supply. Second, they update builds constantly. Just while we were there yesterday they updated a Madden build. So to try and send beta discs out to people so that they could play and respond to it and not spend a lot of time dealing with repetitive issues that have already been addressed in subsequent builds is very tough. The reality is that there's a relatively small window where regular fans of the series, like you or me, would be able to give constructive feedback -- and EA has already taken steps to try and gather that feedback. Yesterday we were in there playing Madden for 14 hours straight and Phil Frazier of all people was still hanging out with us and taking notes of our thoughts at 1 AM on a Friday night. EA definitely cares about making the game better, but it's just tough with the compressed development cycle of an annual sports game to catch every bug or deal with every gameplay issue.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:33 AM   #34
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
They have asked for community involvement, and have taken advantage of that! They flew Pastapadre and cdj to NYC a month and a half ago to playtest the game and give impressions about things that needed tweaking, and made several changes based on that. Sending out betas is a complicated process. First, you can't play them on any regular console -- you need a special kind of console and they are in extremely limited supply. Second, they update builds constantly. Just while we were there yesterday they updated a Madden build. So to try and send beta discs out to people so that they could play and respond to it and not spend a lot of time dealing with repetitive issues that have already been addressed in subsequent builds is very tough. The reality is that there's a relatively small window where regular fans of the series, like you or me, would be able to give constructive feedback -- and EA has already taken steps to try and gather that feedback. Yesterday we were in there playing Madden for 14 hours straight and Phil Frazier of all people was still hanging out with us and taking notes of our thoughts at 1 AM on a Friday night. EA definitely cares about making the game better, but it's just tough with the compressed development cycle of an annual sports game to catch every bug or deal with every gameplay issue.

I love it! Not from a sarcastic standpoint, I just love that now that you know the people that work on the games you see things differently.... You're still in the "all-time lead" for railing on EA,, but you're losing your lead swiftly.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:38 AM   #35
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:

so what the hell are you saying man, we should just give up? I don't get this..

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2008, 03:44 AM   #36
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Yesterday we were in there playing Madden for 14 hours straight and Phil Frazier of all people was still hanging out with us and taking notes of our thoughts at 1 AM on a Friday night. EA definitely cares about making the game better ...
This is really nice to hear. Thanks for sharing it.

Quote:
... but it's just tough with the compressed development cycle of an annual sports game to catch every bug or deal with every gameplay issue.
I get that, I guess, but I think most of us hardcore types would truly be satisfied with NCAA 08.2.7 or whatever, but EA seems to think they have to really go "above and beyond" with the hype-machine "new features" and whatnot. You know, damn it already: keep what works, fix what's broken, and throw in some graphics upgrades and better atmosphere on the side. I mean, really, what's so difficult about that? Maybe that's the biggest problem: it's not that these devs are too lazy or not trying, it's that they're trying too hard.

Last edited by Village Idiot; 06-01-2008 at 03:47 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:50 AM   #37
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

I need to win the lottery so I can have my own line of sports games designed solely for sports sim junkies.

I would expect little to no profit of course, but I wouldn't waste a nickel on Crip walking Mascots (hey to J Unit!), mini games, or cheerleader "dancing with the stars".

I'm not knocking 09...in fact I'm still waaaaaay too excited for this game.

I'm just thinking out loud how I wish it were possible to ignore the basis of business (MONEY MONEY MONEY) and get a college football title with only realism and hard core gamers in mind.

As close as a video game can get at least.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:30 AM   #38
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
You guys are, as EA is, overcomplicating it. Just give the game to someone knowledgeable and then TALK to them about the game. Forget that survey nonsense.
Quote:
so what the hell are you saying man, we should just give up? I don't get this..
He is saying you are wrong ODogg. You have made the point that EA needs to give the game out to knowledgable gamers early in the process so they can find flaws and help EA fix them. Rhombic has noted that they DID do that. They had three guys at EA over a month ago to play the game and report what they liked and didn't like. Those guys were CDJ from NCAA Strategies, Pastapadre and Dave Wales from PSU.com who all wrote terrific articles on the game and what needed fixing. Pastapadre blogged on the exact differences from that build and the most recent NCAA game (http://www.pastapadre.com/2641/ncaa-...-two#more-2641). They also gave out beta copies to Steve on OS and vetzballin.com for feedback. These were all done to help find the flaws and finetune the game.

Just because EA gave out the game early to get more feedback doesn't mean they can fix ALL the flaws afterwards. There is no foolproof method to help create the perfect game. There were a lot of little things wrong with NCAA '08 along with a few major areas. I didn't think they could fix everything in one year (who did?) but it sounds like they fixed most things with some smaller areas to work on. NCAA '09 will be great and everyone there loved it. Don't worry. I'm sure you will have a blast playing after your four hour road trip to get the game early.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 4

maybe the lack of pass rush could be becaue when 2 very good teams play like usc and ohio st how many sacks should you have
it should work if you have a bad Oline then you should be giving up
sacks if you got a good Oline then you shoudnt be giving up alot of sacks all the videos I have saw its all been good teams just a thought
Old 06-01-2008, 10:08 AM   #40
Roll Tide!

Coach Bryant's Arena

OVR: 25

The lack of pass rush will be addressed next year. Just another reason for you to buy next year's game!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »