Home

Do I/should I preorder the game to guarantee that I get it on the 15th?

This is a discussion on Do I/should I preorder the game to guarantee that I get it on the 15th? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #17
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Do I/should I preorder the game to guarantee that I get it on the 15th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilesThing
I walked in to those stores for their midnight release for Halo and GTA and walked out of there with a game the same as the preorder guys. The difference was that I wasn't tied to that store if something went wrong with their shipment showing up or if another store was selling it without a huge crowd.

But if it makes you feel better to preorder, by all means do it. I just don't see any advantages to it, at least for the consumer.
See my post above this one for the advantages. In regards to being "tied to that store"......you can transfer that money to another game. So unless this is the only game this year you're buying you really have nothing to worry about in regards to losing your deposit.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 06-05-2008, 11:26 AM   #18
Rookie

WilesThing's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
All that you say is 100% true but what you say doesn't tell the whole story. Couple of points here:

1. how much interest is $5 going to earn you for 3 weeks? you're "missing out" there on what, a penny or maybe three?

2. yes you can find it anywhere but per my post, do you really want to even drive ONE place and them not have it and have to drive somewhere else or would you rather be taking the game and going home and playing?

Although it may sound like I work for Gamestop or whatever (I don't!) and I don't have any vested interest in what any of you do I can tell you from my experience that you do NOT want to have to mess with wondering where you are getting the game on release day if you are a hardcore video-football-gamer.

Put $5 down, give Gamestop your interest pennies and consider that "lost money" as peace of mind payment.
You're kinding of missing what he's trying to say.

1) He's not pointing out that the money you put down on a game is pennies in interest that you're losing. He's saying that the reasons these game stores tell you to preorder (to make sure you have a copy in case the whole town sells out which never happens) is not genuine. They want you to preorder so they can have a few million sitting in the bank earning interest on June 1st instead of July 15th.

2) You're assuming that the store you preorder at won't have any problems (long lines, shipment on time). That's a big assumption, one that I used to make in the past and got burned too many times. I would gladly run the risk of driving a few more minutes if it meant I didn't have to wait till 2:00am to get my preordered copy or worse, have to wait till the next day when my slacker buddy just walked up to Wal-Mart and got it at midnight.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #19
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
I walked in to those stores for their midnight release for Halo and GTA and walked out of there with a game the same as the preorder guys. The difference was that I wasn't tied to that store if something went wrong with their shipment showing up or if another store was selling it without a huge crowd.

But if it makes you feel better to preorder, by all means do it. I just don't see any advantages to it, at least for the consumer.
Best Buy has never done a Midnight release in my city, so for me that wouldn't work.

I am not tied to Gamestop if I put $5 bucks down on a reserve. I have even got my money back before. (not sure if they do that still) I have never had a game showup at Gamestop for the midnight release and like ODogg said, I'd rather have a peace of mind then maybe having to drive to a couple of different stores. Wal-Mart is the only other store that I would know of that would have it at midnight, but I have been there before and they didn't have them on the shelf. At least at Gamestop I know I will have my game at Midnight.

I told you advatanges for myself in why I don't think preordering is a bad thing. Like I said, for you it might be pointless, but for others like myself it's not.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

Quote:

1) He's not pointing out that the money you put down on a game is pennies in interest that you're losing. He's saying that the reasons these game stores tell you to preorder (to make sure you have a copy in case the whole town sells out which never happens) is not genuine. They want you to preorder so they can have a few million sitting in the bank earning interest on June 1st instead of July 15th.

2) You're assuming that the store you preorder at won't have any problems (long lines, shipment on time). That's a big assumption, one that I used to make in the past and got burned too many times. I would gladly run the risk of driving a few more minutes if it meant I didn't have to wait till 2:00am to get my preordered copy or worse, have to wait till the next day when my slacker buddy just walked up to Wal-Mart and got it at midnight.
They allow people to preorder the day before, so they might not collect much from me.

If the gamestop you have it ordered at has a problem, go to Wal-Mart with your buddy and then get your money back. What's the problem?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:

I realize that and honestly do not care. I don't think anyone else really does either unless they have a particular grudge or dislike of the company. I know why these companies REALLY do the preorder thing but I also realize there is some truth to the fact they do use it as a way to gauge how many copies each store will need too. If they make money from it then that is fine by me.

Quote:
Well I can honestly say i've never had any problems with preordering but I have when I haven't preordered so I"m just going by my personal experience.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #22
Rookie

WilesThing's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
Best Buy has never done a Midnight release in my city, so for me that wouldn't work.

I am not tied to Gamestop if I put $5 bucks down on a reserve. I have even got my money back before. (not sure if they do that still) I have never had a game showup at Gamestop for the midnight release and like ODogg said, I'd rather have a peace of mind then maybe having to drive to a couple of different stores. Wal-Mart is the only other store that I would know of that would have it at midnight, but I have been there before and they didn't have them on the shelf. At least at Gamestop I know I will have my game at Midnight.

I told you advatanges for myself in why I don't think preordering is a bad thing. Like I said, for you it might be pointless, but for others like myself it's not.
The stores I'm talking about are Gamestop and EB. They don't do midnight releases JUST for people who preordered.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #23
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

Quote:
The stores I'm talking about are Gamestop and EB. They don't do midnight releases JUST for people who preordered.
Are you saying Best Buy opens at Midnight for every big release? Like I said in my city Best Buy never does a midnight release.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #24
Rookie

WilesThing's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
Are you saying Best Buy opens at Midnight for every big release? Like I said in my city Best Buy never does a midnight release.
No, I'm not talking about Best Buy. I'm saying that the stores I go to for midnight releases without preordering games are EB and Gamestop, sometimes Wal-Mart. I'm just pointing out that I'm standing in line right next to you at midnight, but my money's not tied to that store if I decide to go elsewhere.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »