Home

Hair Length

This is a discussion on Hair Length within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Hair Length

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
Count me among those who have a hard time caring about hair lengths and styles when bigger gameplay-related issues are out there. When the game plays great on the field and in dynasty mode, then worry about hair and shoe laces and sock lengths and visor colors and belt thickness. Way down the list of concerns in my book.
Honestly, comparing long hair to shoelaces is ridiculous. Long hair on players makes them very recognizable whereas shoelaces is a minor detail. And I've never understood the arguement that EA should fix all gameplay related issues first instead of trying to upgrade the game as a whole. Just because something is not gameplay related does not mean it is not worthwhile to upgrade or fix until the gameplay is "fixed" because that is very subjective, we may never see perfect gameplay in our life times. And lest anyone freak out about what i'm saying here, yes gameplay is a huge part of it but you can't deny sound and graphics are as well.

The bottom line is that adding dreadlocks and long hair should not be that difficult and is a heavily requested feature among both the regular Joe Schmo public and the hardcore OS gamer. If anyone doubts it just take a look at some of the wishlist threads. About every other post is dreadlocks, dreadlocks, dreadlocks.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 06-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #18
Rookie

oukingpen's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
The bottom line is that adding dreadlocks and long hair should not be that difficult and is a heavily requested feature among both the regular Joe Schmo public and the hardcore OS gamer. If anyone doubts it just take a look at some of the wishlist threads. About every other post is dreadlocks, dreadlocks, dreadlocks.
Actually, its one of the most difficult aspects of designing a game. I've read blogs and such from other designers (as well as a friend working on the COD: World at War) that it can be very complex. But with the way EA does their hair ("helmets" with little to no movement) I'd figure they'd cut corners to get it "in the game".
Old 06-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by oukingpen
Actually, its one of the most difficult aspects of designing a game. I've read blogs and such from other designers (as well as a friend working on the COD: World at War) that it can be very complex. But with the way EA does their hair ("helmets" with little to no movement) I'd figure they'd cut corners to get it "in the game".
Adam or one of the devs said it's just the head on the player models that is different. The NCAA team used a bald head-ie generic head to save memory whereas the Madden team uses a more varied system to allow for long hair. Although I'm by no means a programmer from the sounds of what was said, NCAA just needs to adopt the variable head model from the Madden team. It should be something they can do very simply as it's already designed.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Old 06-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #20
MVP

ASB37's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Adam or one of the devs said it's just the head on the player models that is different. The NCAA team used a bald head-ie generic head to save memory whereas the Madden team uses a more varied system to allow for long hair. Although I'm by no means a programmer from the sounds of what was said, NCAA just needs to adopt the variable head model from the Madden team. It should be something they can do very simply as it's already designed.
Im just saying it was in NCAA last gen and in Madden this gen. Ea stop being regressive. Thats all.

"You play to win the game."
Old 06-24-2008, 11:46 PM   #21
Rookie

Kodos's Arena

Quote:
Honestly, comparing long hair to shoelaces is ridiculous. Long hair on players makes them very recognizable whereas shoelaces is a minor detail. And I've never understood the arguement that EA should fix all gameplay related issues first instead of trying to upgrade the game as a whole. Just because something is not gameplay related does not mean it is not worthwhile to upgrade or fix until the gameplay is "fixed" because that is very subjective, we may never see perfect gameplay in our life times. And lest anyone freak out about what i'm saying here, yes gameplay is a huge part of it but you can't deny sound and graphics are as well.

I'm just saying that last year, the game wasn't ruined by the haircuts. It was ruined by the interceptions. Once they have a really solid base, then yes, devote more time to details like hair. Until then, give everything you've got to get that solid foundation.

I will agree that hair styles are more noticeable than some of the crap that guys worry about on this board. People get so upset about tiny details (like sock length or shoelace color) -- it just amazes me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2008, 11:54 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
I'm just saying that last year, the game wasn't ruined by the haircuts. It was ruined by the interceptions. Once they have a really solid base, then yes, devote more time to details like hair. Until then, give everything you've got to get that solid foundation.

I will agree that hair styles are more noticeable than some of the crap that guys worry about on this board. People get so upset about tiny details (like sock length or shoelace color) -- it just amazes me.
Well honestly i'm not a details guy but hair is not a detail in my opinion. It's one of the first things you notice about a person when you meet them and also very noticeable when you watch a football game. So to me it's integral to graphic realism to have it.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:59 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:

Agree with you completely. Hire one less hair styler at EA and open up another rec to a guy devoted to gameplay.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigsca
Agree with you completely. Hire one less hair styler at EA and open up another rec to a guy devoted to gameplay.
LOL..*shakes head*...dude, clever wording there but seriously, it's not a major thing for them to add. It's not a zero sum game where if they add hair they can't add refs or something.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »