Home

Question about HDTV"s and NCAA

This is a discussion on Question about HDTV"s and NCAA within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2008, 10:25 PM   #25
MVP

hogfan's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Question about HDTV"s and NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrod580
Buy the cheap HDMI cable!!!! It transfers a totally digital signal therefore the quality doesn't matter unless it is so bad it is losing bits. Gold ends and shielding matter with analog signals because matching the exact signal from the source to the tv or receiver is vital. With digital if you get the signal at all it will be perfect. This is why hd tv over a $10 antenna looks just as good as over a $1000 antenna. If you are buying component or composite cabels then get good quality. If you are buying HDMI or optical, go with the cheap one.
You are correct.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2008, 10:46 PM   #26
Rookie

WilesThing's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrice20022002
I have to disagree. Ten years ago, I would say stay away from Plasma. But now, burn-in, or image retention, is no worse than a CRT. With the advent of pixel-shifting, white-washing and picture-inversion, plasma's are so the way to go.
This is absolutely correct. Modern plasmas have nixed the burn-in problem. If people would do some homework before they buy a tv this would be clearly obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetYaWeigtUp
I can agree with you and the other poster, all of those settings are familiar and I've seen them, but to be honest, when the TVs come, they are in a box and we randomly pick one to use as a display. Once we turn it on, we look at the different settings and we'll turn it to dynamic mode but it really isnt that huge of a difference. Its noticeble but not a TV seller.
It may not be a tv seller but if you don't have a tv on "vivid" or "dyanmic", it'll be a tv non-seller. People will take one look at the tv with proper calibrated brightness settings sitting next to the wall of blazingly bright tv's and wonder why that other tv is so dark. All tv's coming straight from the factory default to the horribly bright settings just so they can try to look a little more vibrant than the set beside them, and when people come home they keep it on that setting because they don't know how to change it or they think it looks good. If they only knew...
Old 06-30-2008, 01:11 AM   #27
Rookie

GetYaWeigtUp's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilesThing
It may not be a tv seller but if you don't have a tv on "vivid" or "dyanmic", it'll be a tv non-seller. People will take one look at the tv with proper calibrated brightness settings sitting next to the wall of blazingly bright tv's and wonder why that other tv is so dark. All tv's coming straight from the factory default to the horribly bright settings just so they can try to look a little more vibrant than the set beside them, and when people come home they keep it on that setting because they don't know how to change it or they think it looks good. If they only knew...
There is no horrible setting. Default doesnt look bad by any means. The vivid settings just make it brighter but its all based on the room you put it in. I've had people putting TVs in a room with 5 huge windows and dont need more brightness and wouldnt prefer it. But if your putting it in a basement it would be more recommended. In the store, TVs are in a well-lit room so therefore we dont even need to use the dynamic settings but we do just to show off its power. Good associates show customers how to adjust the TVs to fit their needs. Go into a store and try and figure out which TV is on Vivid or Dynamic and guess. You may be able to pick out a few but not many, because all of the TVs arent set up on that. Mainly the ones that they wanna show off more because its a higher cost. So when people see the TVs that are brighter, the next thing they look at is the price, and its usually more expensive because the more expensive tend to look better. Once a custo sees a TV is $4000, they usually walk away. Not many people make those purchases very often. I sold a handful of 4000 TVs but hundreds of TVs that cost $500-$2000.

PLUS....every store has what is called "install" which means they offer you the option for them to come out and hook up the TV to make it shine for you. Yes its extra money but its worth it for those who dont have a clue. All you really need is HDMI cables and your fine, get the install (for the clueless) and they'll make it shine just like in the stores, if not better. Remember not all of the TVs are at their best in the store because they are sharing the same signal, thats why you see 30 TVs all on the same channel.

Last edited by GetYaWeigtUp; 06-30-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:27 AM   #28
Rookie

WilesThing's Arena

Quote:
There is no horrible setting. Default doesnt look bad by any means. The vivid settings just make it brighter but its all based on the room you put it in. I've had people putting TVs in a room with 5 huge windows and dont need more brightness and wouldnt prefer it. But if your putting it in a basement it would be more recommended. In the store, TVs are in a well-lit room so therefore we dont even need to use the dynamic settings but we do just to show off its power. Good associates show customers how to adjust the TVs to fit their needs. Go into a store and try and figure out which TV is on Vivid or Dynamic and guess. You may be able to pick out a few but not many, because all of the TVs arent set up on that. Mainly the ones that they wanna show off more because its a higher cost. So when people see the TVs that are brighter, the next thing they look at is the price, and its usually more expensive because the more expensive tend to look better. Once a custo sees a TV is $4000, they usually walk away. Not many people make those purchases very often. I sold a handful of 4000 TVs but hundreds of TVs that cost $500-$2000.

PLUS....every store has what is called "install" which means they offer you the option for them to come out and hook up the TV to make it shine for you. Yes its extra money but its worth it for those who dont have a clue. All you really need is HDMI cables and your fine, get the install (for the clueless) and they'll make it shine just like in the stores, if not better. Remember not all of the TVs are at their best in the store because they are sharing the same signal, thats why you see 30 TVs all on the same channel.
My god. You keep saying one wrong thing after another. You don't need more brightness in a dark room and less in a bright room. It's the exact opposite. Have you ever been in a movie theater when the movie's going and somebody opens the exit door to the outside? A bunch of sunlight comes pooring in and you can barely see what's being projected on screen. Or when you shine a flashlight on a wall in a brightly lit room. You can barely see the flashlight spot, but do the same thing in a dark room and it's plain as day.

The same goes for tvs. The brighter the room (like a large lit warehouse full of blazing bright tvs), the brighter the tv has to be for the image to be clearly visible (vivid or dynamic settings). The darker the room (the typical home or theater), the dimmer the picture should be to reduce eye strain and marred pictures (normal or properly calibrated settings). Flip the script on that in a warehouse store and people do notice and think the darker tv looks much worse than the unnecessarily bright one.

Oh, and the store installers just hook all the hardware up and set a few settings. They don't calibrate the tv settings. That would take a vectorscope that a professional calibrator would use.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:22 PM   #29
Rookie

WilesThing's Arena

For the OP, here's a couple of articles to help you get started:

Four Styles of HDTV

HDTV Tune-Up Tips
Old 06-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #30
Rookie

GetYaWeigtUp's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilesThing
Oh, and the store installers just hook all the hardware up and set a few settings. They don't calibrate the tv settings. That would take a vectorscope that a professional calibrator would use.
This is how I know you dont have a clue...I have installed, we are trained t DO IT ALL. Thats the most important piece of the install is the calibration of all TV settings and Remotes. We make it all happen. I've never seen someone have to call a 3rd party just to make their TV look good, thats ridiculous. Everyone I know has an HD TV and no one I know has ever had to call another company to make it look right in there room. THATS A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY. Thats why best buy has "GEEK SQUAD" and Circuit City has "FIREDOG."

Piece Sir!
Old 06-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #31
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

To the OP, I prefer LCD. Lightweight, 1080p pic for a reasonable price, if you have a little more to spend you can get a 4ms response time and 120hz refresh rate. No motion blur and most are in the 30,000to1 CR. DLP is the cheapest but has an inherent fuzziness to larger displays. Plasma is the best pic but weighs a ton. A 42" weighs in around 100lbs. Too much for me. I like to be able to move my TV by myself......

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #32
Rookie

WilesThing's Arena

Quote:
This is how I know you dont have a clue...I have installed, we are trained t DO IT ALL. Thats the most important piece of the install is the calibration of all TV settings and Remotes. We make it all happen. I've never seen someone have to call a 3rd party just to make their TV look good, thats ridiculous. Everyone I know has an HD TV and no one I know has ever had to call another company to make it look right in there room. THATS A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY. Thats why best buy has "GEEK SQUAD" and Circuit City has "FIREDOG."

Piece Sir!
Wow. And you really think you know what you're talking about when you're selling this stuff to people? I work in television. I'm a camera man for a station in Dallas. I know a thing or two about how tvs work. But don't take my word for it. I sit around all day with engineers who could build tvs let alone calibrate them, and they all would back up everything I've said. And you're right that most people wouldn't need a professional calibration done on their set. They usually run $25-$100. But every set could use some simple tests and color bars that the link in my previous post mentioned.

And I hate to break it to you, but you and all those people you know who have HD sets that think they have an awesome picture are probably staring at a flaming torch with how bright they have it. But you go right on ahead talking about how a dark basement would need high brightness and how you're TRAINED.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »