Home

Question about HDTV"s and NCAA

This is a discussion on Question about HDTV"s and NCAA within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 10
Question about HDTV"s and NCAA

Guys,

I am planning to make my first HDTV purchase before I get this game and I need a little feedback. I've researched info that indictaes that Plasma TV's could be a problem for gaming because of possible "burn" in the screen. Do any of you guys have a Plasma TV and what have been your experiences. Also, what is the difference if one TV has a 10,000:1 contrast ratio vs 1,000,000:1. How much does that equate to a better picture overall?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Question about HDTV"s abd NCAA

I've heard the same about plasma. Also heard something about how an expensive bulb ($300?) needs to be replaced after a certain amount of hours. But you need to research it. I'd definitely go with LCD.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
MVP

hogfan's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
I've heard the same about plasma. Also heard something about how an expensive bulb ($300?) needs to be replaced after a certain amount of hours. But you need to research it. I'd definitely go with LCD.

This is probably better for the technology and entertainment forum as there is already a thread on this topic.

First off, there is no bulb for Plasma... that is for DLP and other projection technologies.

I have had a Panasonic plasma for over a year. I game on it quite a bit(NCAA, HALO 3, Guitar Hero). No problems.

First off... Burn in is virtually non existent. It WAS a problem 10 years ago when they first came out. Unfortunately, the same outdated information still persists. It's pretty incredible some of the stories I've heard.

Occasionally you will get image retention if you leave something onscreen for an extended amount of time(black bars on a movie for example). HOWEVER, you won't notice it while you are playing a game or watching tv or a movie. the only time you would notice it is if you switched a video input that didn't have anything connected to it. For example, you select video input 3 on your tv and the screen is completely black because whatever you have connected to that input isn't on. That is the only time you'd notice it.

FINALLY, the image retention(which you can't see during normal viewing, anyway) goes away VERY QUICKLY. 5 minutes tops.

Burn in or image retention should not be a factor in your purchasing decision, IMO.

To further address your question, good plasmas(Panasonic, Samsung, Pioneer) have better contrast ratios than the better LCDs(Sony and Samsung). Contrast ratio is one of the most important parts of picture quality. Know this, though. Most of those contrast ratio numbers are fubar. There is no standardized way of measuring it so companies can fudge the numbers. With that being said, it is widely known by videophiles and proffesional sites that Plasma have a better contrast ratio.

If you want to PM me with your specific situation, I'd be more than happy help you out. I researched this for over a year and can list the pros and cons of both.

Also check out this thread:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ma-vs-lcd.html
Old 06-28-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Co-sign everything hogfan said. I've been gaming on a 50" Vizio plasma since Jan 07 without a hitch. The only thing I would add is that if you do go the plasma route, it's probably a good idea to limit yourself to short gaming sessions (a couple hours or so) for the first 50-100 hours of the sets life. After that anything short of an all-nighter should be ok.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
Rookie

razcan's Arena

OVR: 9

Hogfan nailed it, personally though stay away from Samsung low-mid end plasmas.

2nd- about contrast ratio, they are meaningless numbers outside of a particular company. For example, 10000:1 for Samsung may be the same as 2000:1 for Sony, those ratios only hold weight when judging sets within the same manufactures arsenal. They aren't standard values.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
All Star

OVR: 33

One of my friends put it simply like this.

LCD for close viewing.

Plasma for further viewing.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:58 PM   #7
Rookie

WilesThing's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
One of my friends put it simply like this.

LCD for close viewing.

Plasma for further viewing.

Hope that helps.

What???

And the previous guys were right about plasma. Burn-in doesn't exist unless your plasma's from last decade. All the current plasma sets have built in technology to prevent it from happening.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:44 PM   #8
All Star

OVR: 33

my bad.

LCD's are better for looking at when ur close. perhaps 2-3 metres are way.

Plasma's are beter for looking at from a longer distance. Perhaps 5+ metres.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »