Home

NCAA Football Defensive Strategy: Safety

This is a discussion on NCAA Football Defensive Strategy: Safety within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2008, 05:34 PM   #9
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: NCAA Football Defensive Strategy: Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
I've been playing the safey since NCAA '04. You are pretty spot on here. I'm so comfortable playing that position it is the only one that I will play. It is second nature to me. I remember on year I had 24 interceptions in a season. That is an astranomical number I know, but in '04 I was that good. It also lets me line people up to use the hit-stick more effectivly. I have gotten real good at comming up in run support and laying the lumber, and killing WR across the middle. Great Article on one of the best postitions to play while on D.
This is not to attack you personally, but that number of picks indicates severe flaws in the gameplay mechanics/A.I. of the game. Because of these flaws I have always felt that safety was an "overpowered" position in EA football games, especially against the CPU. It isn't as bad in two player games, but it still can be too easy to make plays.

The article talks about knowing your assignment, but I've seen so many people freelancing while playing safety, but still be able to recover and make plays that they ratings of the player they are controlling says they shouldn't make.

Its very similar with linebackers too. Players don't get punished for having no discipline what so ever. I hope that begins to change starting this year.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:37 PM   #10
All Star

OVR: 24

Do you guys that play with the safties recommend one over the other? FS or SS. Or do you take the worse or better safety if the ratings are imbalanced? I always tended to get LB or DL but going to look at safety more now.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #11
Rookie

Freezer Boy's Arena

OVR: 11
Good article,I guess I might give it a shot to.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #12
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
This is not to attack you personally, but that number of picks indicates severe flaws in the gameplay mechanics/A.I. of the game. Because of these flaws I have always felt that safety was an "overpowered" position in EA football games, especially against the CPU. It isn't as bad in two player games, but it still can be too easy to make plays.

The article talks about knowing your assignment, but I've seen so many people freelancing while playing safety, but still be able to recover and make plays that they ratings of the player they are controlling says they shouldn't make.

Its very similar with linebackers too. Players don't get punished for having no discipline what so ever. I hope that begins to change starting this year.
It's a fair statement. I also agree that 24 is an insane number. But for the most part I was just playing within the defense. That was until I was in the high teens then I kinda went for it. The problem and I think that you will agree is that in 04 the cpu would prematurely abandon the running game so there were more chances for me to make plays in the secondary.

dkrause, I use the FS. I don't know why but when ever I use the SS it feels backwards to me.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 11
I don't recognize me 'not' using safeties, but I've always been a front seven guy, I do notice many users online use the safety. I'll try to use them more.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 26

I stopped using the safety after the '04 version. It's just waaaaaaay too easy for me personally to make plays from the FS position. I can control the entire field on EA's games, and it shouldn't be that way. But then again, I AM PHENOMENAL.

I use the CB or a DE now to make it more challenging and more fun. The CB position is the most challenging and most rewarding for me personally because I would rather play in the secondary than anywhere on the front 7.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 4

Interesting info. I have to say that I have never been one to manually control a secondary player from the line of scrimmage. I've always started as a lineman or MLB, but I am considering doing a bit more manual secondary control this year. I don't think i'll dare touch a CB off on the line of scrimmage, but I am considering more safety play in zone coverage.

awful demo - Lonnie1892
Quote:
Me no like game. Graphics make Lonnie puke. Lonnie no play NCAA no more. NCAA=suck. Lonnie=not suck. - AuburnAlumni
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2008, 12:39 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1
I have exclusively learned how to control the FS position. Besides the spike in INT's, run support is much better, even if it's a draw with a solid tackle it should only be a five yard gain max, given your LB's and linemen are well blocked. It seems the easiest for a FS is to have double coverage, and just roam, like a much better Rodney Harrison, Bob Sanders, or Ed Reed. And CB is definitely the hardest, until you can see yourself off the line.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »