Home

With a patch in the works for Madden to receive an accelerated clock...

This is a discussion on With a patch in the works for Madden to receive an accelerated clock... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #17
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: With a patch in the works for Madden to receive an accelerated clock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgun
No, playing shorter clocks just doesn't work. What happens when you want to take your time and look through your playbook? You might need the entire play clock sometimes to do this. So if you decide you want to look for a different play, the accelerated clock doesn't affect you. It only works when you break the huddle with more than say 20 seconds on the clock. The ultimate goal and purpose of the accelerated clock is to get you to the line of scrimmage with about 15-18 seconds on the clock which is about average for the NFL.
Right, but if the game has 25 second playclocks instead of 40 second playclocks, then it really doesn't make that much of a difference. The way NCAA has been until this year, and the way that it works on the game, is that there's a 25 second playclock, but it doesn't start until the ball is spotted and whistled ready for play.

If you play 7 or 8 minute quarters on NCAA, you get a realistic number of total snaps/plays from scrimmage, and while there are some issues with end of game situations, it's also important to note that since the game is really built to be played using 5 minute quarters, it's also possible to run a 2 minute offense faster/more clock efficiently than teams generally can in real life.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Let me see if I can explain this so it makes sense. I've long been one of the biggest proponents of the accelerated clock feature and here's why it makes a big difference to me.

There are quite a few of us that like to see realistic stats in Madden and NCAA as well, but for me more importantly Madden.

Madden 06 on the Xbox had the accelerated clock feature and I loved it. I played 12 minute quarters with accelerated clock on. Here's how it works and makes a huge difference. I get tackled inbounds and immediately go to the play calling screen. I pick my play in just a few seconds, hit A to break the huddle with 35 seconds on the play clock. Immediately, 20 seconds run off the clock and I'm standing at the line of scrimmage with 10-12 seconds on the clock. I can now snap the ball right away and what has just happened is what is basically the normal process in the NFL. I'm not standing at the line with 30 seconds on the clock and I don't have to worry about running any time off.

The same thing applies to the CPU. You notice how the CPU has a play ready immediately after one ends. Well as soon as you hit A on defense, the time runs off down to about 15 again. Without the accelerated clock, the CPU is usually going to snap the ball with 20+ seconds on the clock which upsets the balance of time of possession immensely.

The ultimate goal of course is to try and have both you and the CPU run 60-70 plays per game. If that happens you should see the running backs from both teams get their 18-22 carries and the qbs get their 18-28 passing attempts. Time of possession is usually a lot more realistic with accelerated clock as well.

How many times do you see teams run 10 play, 80 yard drives that take 2:12 off the clock in the NFL? Never, but you see it all the time in Madden without the accelerated clock. Oh and whoever asked would this mess up a 2 minute drill the answer is no. The accelerated clock is usually turned off in the last two minutes so you and the CPU can do whatever you like as it should be. In the last two minutes, whoever has the ball is usually trying to score quick or run the clock out so no accelerated clock is necessary.

Some of you think the answer is playing 6 or 7 minute quarters with no accelerated clock, but time of possession and almost all stats are severely skewed by playing this way. If you're happy playing those type of quarters, but all means do it, but I just don't like the idea that I can run out a whole quarter if I choose to just by getting a few first downs.

I hope that explains why it is important. Personally I'm tired of playing games where I run 80 plays to the CPUs 40 or the CPU has about a third of the time of possession that I do. Playing against San Diego and seeing Tomlinson getting 10 carries for 53 yards is not realistic.

The lack of the accelerated clock is the single biggest oversight that EA could make this year.
I would love this feature and appreciate everything you've said. Well done!
Old 07-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #19
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

from the vids it looks like the 40 is in. rhombic you don't see that?
Old 07-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #20
MVP

babyfat9's Arena

OVR: 14

play clock but i miss the Coolzone also !!!!!

Monsters of the Midway
Chicago Bears
Old 07-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #21
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigsca
I would love this feature and appreciate everything you've said. Well done!
yes, when the play ends, the play clock shows 40. but as soon as the play call screen comes up, it skips down to 25 every time without running down the game clock with it.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #22
Rookie

HuskAir's Arena

OVR: 5
Icon14 Re: With a patch in the works for Madden to receive an accelerated clock...

Quote:
Let me see if I can explain this so it makes sense. I've long been one of the biggest proponents of the accelerated clock feature and here's why it makes a big difference to me.

There are quite a few of us that like to see realistic stats in Madden and NCAA as well, but for me more importantly Madden.

Madden 06 on the Xbox had the accelerated clock feature and I loved it. I played 12 minute quarters with accelerated clock on. Here's how it works and makes a huge difference. I get tackled inbounds and immediately go to the play calling screen. I pick my play in just a few seconds, hit A to break the huddle with 35 seconds on the play clock. Immediately, 20 seconds run off the clock and I'm standing at the line of scrimmage with 10-12 seconds on the clock. I can now snap the ball right away and what has just happened is what is basically the normal process in the NFL. I'm not standing at the line with 30 seconds on the clock and I don't have to worry about running any time off.

The same thing applies to the CPU. You notice how the CPU has a play ready immediately after one ends. Well as soon as you hit A on defense, the time runs off down to about 15 again. Without the accelerated clock, the CPU is usually going to snap the ball with 20+ seconds on the clock which upsets the balance of time of possession immensely.

The ultimate goal of course is to try and have both you and the CPU run 60-70 plays per game. If that happens you should see the running backs from both teams get their 18-22 carries and the qbs get their 18-28 passing attempts. Time of possession is usually a lot more realistic with accelerated clock as well.

How many times do you see teams run 10 play, 80 yard drives that take 2:12 off the clock in the NFL? Never, but you see it all the time in Madden without the accelerated clock. Oh and whoever asked would this mess up a 2 minute drill the answer is no. The accelerated clock is usually turned off in the last two minutes so you and the CPU can do whatever you like as it should be. In the last two minutes, whoever has the ball is usually trying to score quick or run the clock out so no accelerated clock is necessary.

Some of you think the answer is playing 6 or 7 minute quarters with no accelerated clock, but time of possession and almost all stats are severely skewed by playing this way. If you're happy playing those type of quarters, but all means do it, but I just don't like the idea that I can run out a whole quarter if I choose to just by getting a few first downs.

I hope that explains why it is important. Personally I'm tired of playing games where I run 80 plays to the CPUs 40 or the CPU has about a third of the time of possession that I do. Playing against San Diego and seeing Tomlinson getting 10 carries for 53 yards is not realistic.

The lack of the accelerated clock is the single biggest oversight that EA could make this year.
Very well said. Right on point.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »