Home

When do we get next-gen AI ?

This is a discussion on When do we get next-gen AI ? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: When do we get next-gen AI ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooneyeleven1
From the previews I have been reading it seems the INT problem has been improved with sliders. So, I have to find something else to complain about.......(even though i am really excited for this game more-so that any other in the past).

It seems as though the play calling is bland and predictable and the CPU offense does not take chances down field. This could become annoying. So my question I pose to you experts is when do we get a next gen AI system because it sounds like 09 does not. (I have gathered most of my opinions from Bill's blog)

Thanks for taking the time to listen.
What is "next gen" AI?
Old 07-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
MVP

capp34's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
What is "next gen" AI?
LMAO took the words right out of my mouth.

Kings of the Kourt Commissioner

KOTK Discord - https://discord.gg/Swj5cJe
Old 07-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4

What sucks is I like to play safety and now it's in my head that I don't need to even cover deep because the CPU will never take that shot. I believe Madden 08 had the same problem. I think i will have to change my position.
R.I.P. #21
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
What is "next gen" AI?
I don't know what next Gen AI is but I do know that competent AI knows that you should throw one in the end zone on the last play of the game inside your opponents 40.

How about we start with that and then we can set our sights on this next gen ai thing.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #13
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
What is "next gen" AI?
Please. You know exactly what he means. So maybe the phrase "next gen AI" is ambiguous if not meaningless, but his post, that you quoted, clearly mentions a couple things he has in mind, and that's not to mention that subsequent posts also elaborate on the idea. We all appreciate what you're doing, but don't talk down to people, bro.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #14
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Taken from a Cracked.com piece called A Gamer's Manifesto

Quote:
...Yet, in Doom III, the bad guys were flailing at us with the same straight-line Ulysses S. Grant calvary charge that failed them twelve years earlier in Doom. Far Cry had bad guys that went into spinning seizures when they got confused; Crysis is better, yet enemies will still stand stupidly by while their friends are gunned down in their field of vision.

These days we get so overjoyed every time an enemy actually shoots from cover in a game that we forgive the fact that real, advanced A.I. is as much an unfulfilled promise as the flying car. Where are the FPS bad guys who can adapt their strategy on the fly? Enemies who themselves have six different guns and switch up according to what the situation calls for? Bad guys who work in teams, who strategize, who create diversions to distract you? Where's the enemy Solid Snake who sneaks up on you with the silence of a ninja's church fart?

"Do NOT duck inside those doors, men! Honorable warriors need no cover!"

Chances of that happening...

Almost zero. One, there's more and more focus on multiplayer for this sort of game. This takes some of the pressure off programmers because in multiplayer, other humans supply their own A.I. Even the ones who are complete morons.

Two, as developers have lamented, the guts of the new consoles are geared to make the gaming equivalent of dumb blondes. It has to do with the fact that both the XBox 360 and the PS3's Cell CPU use "in-order" processing, which, to greatly simplify, means they've intentionally crippled the ability to make clever A.I. and dynamic, unpredictable, wide-open games in favor of beautiful water reflections and explosion debris that flies through the air prettily.

That means a generation of games will likely play just like the last generation. Only shiny.

The bold and underlining is my emphasis.

Now of course I have no idea if the statement about the processing methodology of the 360 and PS3 is true or not, but the A.I. does seemed to have advanced far less than every other aspect these games.

If I chose to run Cover Zero all game, and the CPU, regardless of their core offensive philosophy, never attempts to challenge me down field even if they have a match up advantage on the outside, well that just speaks volumes about the A.I.'s deficiencies.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:11 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
Please. You know exactly what he means. So maybe the phrase "next gen AI" is ambiguous if not meaningless, but his post, that you quoted, clearly mentions a couple things he has in mind, and that's not to mention that subsequent posts also elaborate on the idea. We all appreciate what you're doing, but don't talk down to people, bro.
Agreed.

I hope he actually DOES know what we mean, or I'll lose any hope that I have left with these games.

Let's go with a competent AI, since EA needs a break down.

An AI that doesn't get picked off 4 times per game (Fixed, I GUESS.)

An AI that doesn't play Rich Gannon style offense, dink and dunk hogwash (The main issue I'm seeing so far from people here.)

An AI that doesn't juke move out of bounds when there isn't a defender near-by.

An AI that can take advantage of human mistakes (I'll keep dreaming.)

An AI smart enough to cover kick/punts - I've seen this issue long before '09, so I'm not surprised it's here again. It's like playing Arena football, I'll always end up on the 50.

I am pleased to finally see a bunch of you jumping on the AI issue, that I've been complaining about since registering here. The AI is pathetic, and flawed every single year, and they know about it. So, if you need an actual list of what could be considered as ''competent/next gen'' AI, EA - I'll hook you up with a PM with 20 reasons why your current AI systems totally stinks.

Last edited by Anti Honor; 07-06-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Honor

I am pleased to finally see a bunch of you jumping on the AI issue, that I've been complaining about since registering here. The AI is pathetic, and flawed every single year, and they know about it. So, if you need an actual list of what could be considered as ''competent/next gen'' AI, EA - I'll hook you up with a PM with 20 reasons why your current AI systems totally stinks.
I agree the AI is lacking in too many areas.

Last year I suggested team sliders (similar to the ones used in the 2k basketball games) for NCAA and Madden to help teams utilize different playstyles.

In anycase, something needs to be done. Especially, about some of the issues that have existed EVERY year on NextGen. Like the lack of deep pass attempts by the AI.

It 'seems' that EA knows that most people play multiplayer and these issues will not be as apparent in online and multiplayer games.

People like me who wants a challenging AI, so that I can mirror the NCAA and NFL seasons IRL have been screwed on NextGen.

I'm holding out hope, to see if the AI in Madden is any better this year.

However, The CPU vs. Human vids in that game have been MIA to this point. And that has me a little concerned about EA's NFL version also.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »