Home

EA Conference Call With Sean Bailey, Lead Designer - Gamplay

This is a discussion on EA Conference Call With Sean Bailey, Lead Designer - Gamplay within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: EA Conference Call With Sean Bailey, Lead Designer - Gamplay

I'm with the rest of you guys about the lack of adaptive A.I. It puts more emphasis on the 'A' than the 'I'.

I guess i'm an outlier with my concern about effectives of man coverage. I've seen first hand in the demo and well as through impressions and videos how money the passing game can be. If I have a great secondary and LBs who are good in pass coverage, then I want to see their man coverage good at defending the pass.

I'm all for more noticeable distinction in the speed of players, but like someone else pointed out, I hope their ratings are realistic relative to their 40 times. It remains to be seen how this new curve effects speed development.

awful demo - Lonnie1892
Quote:
Me no like game. Graphics make Lonnie puke. Lonnie no play NCAA no more. NCAA=suck. Lonnie=not suck. - AuburnAlumni

Last edited by VWarrior; 07-09-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #18
stewaat

OVR:

So they purposely made the game easy? That's EXACTLY what it sounds like. Great.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #19
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggins
These make me sad

NO ADAPTIVE DEFENSIVE AI
This is pretty sad.

CPU DEFENSE PLAY CALLING
The CPU pretty much calls plays based on down and distance, not really based on formation. This is an area EA wants to work on in the future.

Are you kidding me?

CPU PLAY CALLING
In terms of playbooks, the team will execute the same playbook tendancies regardless of how the team personnel changes over time.

Disappointing.
Wow, those are very disappointing, especially the lack of an adaptive defensive AI. It's 2008, and the game's AI can't make adjustments if we run the same play over and over and over? How far have we really come?

I'm sure the game will be fun, but things like these are going to continue to hold back the series from achieving true greatness until they are addressed.

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Bulls / Mizzou / Sporting KC

PSN: MizzouTigerrr
Old 07-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #20
MVP

BoomerSooner11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPU
I'm all for the new Speed calculations. Sounds like a great idea to me. It'll really let the absolute speed guys be just that. I like that they'll be set apart.
This is about the only good news out of this, everything else you guys have posted is about he same way I feel.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #21
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
These make me sad

NO ADAPTIVE DEFENSIVE AI
This is pretty sad.

CPU DEFENSE PLAY CALLING
The CPU pretty much calls plays based on down and distance, not really based on formation. This is an area EA wants to work on in the future.

Are you kidding me?

CPU PLAY CALLING
In terms of playbooks, the team will execute the same playbook tendancies regardless of how the team personnel changes over time.

Disappointing.
Yes, this is very disappointing to read. It shows a serious disconnect between the sim oriented dynasty players and the lead producers in terms of what is absolutely critical to enhancing one-player games.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #22
MVP

BSanders's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
These make me sad

NO ADAPTIVE DEFENSIVE AI
This is pretty sad.

CPU DEFENSE PLAY CALLING

Are you kidding me?

CPU PLAY CALLING

Disappointing.
I'm with you on this, I can't believe it seems like we lose more stuff each version.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #23
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I think you guys are focusing on the negative too much. Sure there are a lot of things that we would like to have in the game (myself included) but that doesn't mean it won't be improved or fun at the same time. Most guys that have played it really liked the game this year with some saying its the best title since '04. Just take a deep breath and in less than a week we will all see for ourselves. I was underwhelmed by the demo but really want to play the retail version where I can get rid of the lousy controller mapping, change the difficulty and sliders as well as play longer than 2 minutes a quarter.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #24
Rookie

mike1409's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
These make me sad

NO ADAPTIVE DEFENSIVE AI
This is pretty sad.

CPU DEFENSE PLAY CALLING

Are you kidding me?

CPU PLAY CALLING

Disappointing.
I will take heat from people on this but from a company standard this makes perfect sense.

Only 5% of the people who play this game are hardcore SIM dynasty players.

The rest want to win 110-0 win 9 Heismans in a row and 50 game winning streaks. ( the features above don't matter) and will buy the next years game without hesitation.

Other players only play online ( the features above don't matter) these people have to buy the game each year as the old one can't be played anymore.

Obviously the adaptive AI is the hardest to program and would take countless hours to fix and adjust.

They have an exclusive market an it really is not worth the cost to make the game signifigantly better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »