Home

Up and Coming Programs in NCAA Football 09

This is a discussion on Up and Coming Programs in NCAA Football 09 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Up and Coming Programs in NCAA Football 09

After last week's article discussing the top five rebuilding jobs in College Football, it is only prudent to look at the top five programs which could be on the cusp of greatness already. Check out the top up and coming programs in NCAA Football 09.

Quote:
"College football is a sport built around big-time programs facing off against each other in colossal match-ups to determine conference or national championships. However, every few years there is a newcomer to the Hall of Greatness that tries to spoil the party with a great season of its own.

Past national champions who were not perennial powers include Clemson in 1981, BYU in 1984, Colorado and Georgia Tech in 1990, and Tennessee in 1998. Nowadays, it seems the giants have a firm grip on the top of the college football world."
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
awesome stuff dude awesome stuff
Old 07-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 25
I don't think the Badgers though are that great. The defense was horrible in 07. You have a very deep RB core to run with, but since EA left out Zach Brown (over 500 yards last year as #3 back) for some no name freshman, it's not going to be as great. PJ Hill is good in real life but won't succeed in the digital world, where speed means everything. You do have the nation's best receiving TE however in Travis Beckum, but the QB situation is a mess. EA also left out two major freshmen WRs last year, Sophs. Kyle Jefferson and David Gilreath. Jefferson is projected to be the #1 WR this year, and Gilreath was the all-Big Ten team's returner.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Up and Coming Programs in NCAA Football 09

Quote:
Past national champions who were not perennial powers include Clemson in 1981, BYU in 1984, Colorado and Georgia Tech in 1990, and Tennessee in 1998.
I would be offended by this if I were a Tennessee fan.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3
i was actually thinkin about playing with Clemson before i ever read this article...playin with their RB tandum would be insane
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 9
BYU has been the best under the radar team the last few years. This year is their Boise State/Utah year. I still can't believe Wisconsin once was 12-1 and didn't even make the BCS, they have to get past Ohio State. Clemson=perennial underachievers, and being a fan of the Bowdens, it pains me to admit it. South Florida has built a powerhouse from scratch in record time, if they can make it to at least a debate about challenging the Gators for best team in Florida, then they are here (Of course, getting the wood put to them by a 5th string scout team QB in the Sun Bowl didn't help). Missouri is a complete team, they just don't appear to be as physically tough as Oklahoma; and that is what keeps them out of the BCS.
My up and comers:
Arizona State: Dennis Erickson touches gold wherever he goes at the college level, and he knows how to recruit speed and aggression.
Texas Tech: If a defense arrives anything remotely close to what is being hyped this season, the Big XII New World Order will arive.
North Carolina: Long shot at best, but Butch Davis ain't no slouch
Notre Dame: Their recruiting isn't strictly artificially solid on paper, they get great athletes. And there is only one direction this program can go after last year.
Baylor: Laugh all you want, I strangely sense a solid program rising in Waco
Old 07-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
I would be offended by this if I were a Tennessee fan.
I know some Tennessee fans might not like this, but they can't be mentioned in the same breath as USC, Ohio State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Miami, etc. One national championship in the last 50 years isn't a powerhouse
Old 07-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #8
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by janglar
BYU has been the best under the radar team the last few years. This year is their Boise State/Utah year. I still can't believe Wisconsin once was 12-1 and didn't even make the BCS, they have to get past Ohio State. Clemson=perennial underachievers, and being a fan of the Bowdens, it pains me to admit it. South Florida has built a powerhouse from scratch in record time, if they can make it to at least a debate about challenging the Gators for best team in Florida, then they are here (Of course, getting the wood put to them by a 5th string scout team QB in the Sun Bowl didn't help). Missouri is a complete team, they just don't appear to be as physically tough as Oklahoma; and that is what keeps them out of the BCS.
My up and comers:
Arizona State: Dennis Erickson touches gold wherever he goes at the college level, and he knows how to recruit speed and aggression.
Texas Tech: If a defense arrives anything remotely close to what is being hyped this season, the Big XII New World Order will arive.
North Carolina: Long shot at best, but Butch Davis ain't no slouch
Notre Dame: Their recruiting isn't strictly artificially solid on paper, they get great athletes. And there is only one direction this program can go after last year.
Baylor: Laugh all you want, I strangely sense a solid program rising in Waco
I considered AZ State, Texas Tech and Notre Dame as well for this list. Those three schools, with the talent they have, are all good choices if you want to win quick but feel the gratification of bringing a program up a notch in the prestige ranks

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »