Home

Here's How To Fix the Return Game "Problem"

This is a discussion on Here's How To Fix the Return Game "Problem" within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2008, 08:33 AM   #25
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Here's How To Fix the Return Game "Problem"

Ok I need to get back home and see exactly what settings I have but last night I was only getting to the 35'ish on returns. I think it was at the expense of running spped though. Originally I made a "rule" that I wouldn't use sprint until I got to the 20. However while testing sliders I stopped doing that and was not getting the returns to the 45-50 like before. If I remember correctly it was because I was at 0 or a little above for RB Ability. However it made the RB speed way slow so I raised it up. Maybe there's a happy medium?? Someone can test it if they'd like as I'm at work.

In any case if there isn't a happy medium for KO returns I'll just continue with the "No sprint until the 20" plan.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

Last edited by Skyboxer; 07-15-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
Not sure where to start.

How about this? This is the best video football game every made.

Now, I'm going to try to not go overboard here. That is, I don't want to get on a roll where I end up writing 5,000 words explaining why this game is so great, so I'm just going to stick with the topic at hand: the purported "problem" with the return game.

Here's what you do the next time you return a punt.

You line up. It doesn't matter what play you called. You pick one of the defenders (i.e., NOT the return man). Try to jump the snap (you don't have to use the JTS feature per se - although you can - I just mean jump the snap in a more literal way, with the sprint button and the left stick).

Whomever you selected (not the return man), make note of what his assignment is. Let's use someone who's rushing the punt for example. Obviously, your goal after you've gotten a good jump is to get after the punter, so that's what you do: push the left stick at him, hold the sprint button, and try to either nail the punter or block the punt.

If this seems really obvious, it should.

Now this is what's most important. Assuming the punter got the ball off, the screen flips, right? At that point, you have to get your *** back downfield and get in position to block for the returner. In other words, play your assignment with the defender of your choice, but do not switch to the return man; instead, wait until he catches the ball and he's activated automatically.

Problem solved.

Go try it.
You're a genius. Works like a charm. Granted we've had to tweak some things here and there but the game many of us have wanted is there. Just gotta kinda find it.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:58 AM   #27
Redskins Pride

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootzilla
You're a genius. Works like a charm. Granted we've had to tweak some things here and there but the game many of us have wanted is there. Just gotta kinda find it.
It's cool that the workarounds work, but goddamn. don't they play the game before they launch it?

really dissappointing.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #28
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Having to come up with "House Rules" this early is pretty sad. Most games, you don't have to do that until the "honeymoon" is over. Just goes to show you how glaring some of these problems are and how game devs are using patches as a crutch, rathing then releasing a finished game.
I know it's near impossible for you to look at EA games with a singe ounce of objectivity, but come on. Even the mighty 2k football games, which were my favorite of all-time, and I know you are a big fan of required fixes and work-arounds from the jump.

Do you even have NCAA yet?

Can we please just let the EA bias go at some point and just judge the game on it's actual merits, not on who developed it?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #29
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

wow, I can't believed this actually worked.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Old 07-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #30
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetaternuts
Thanks for the info. Dont have the game yet, so i wanna see what the issue is first, but if its as bad as everyone says, ill go with your method.

On another note, is it just punt block or all punt returns? I dont choose punt block unless i realistically need it, i usually set up return left/right, are those broken too?
Just wanted to see if anyone who had the game (Undefeated, Solidice, cb, ODogg, AA etc) could comment on this

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #31
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I know it's near impossible for you to look at EA games with a singe ounce of objectivity, but come on. Even the mighty 2k football games, which were my favorite of all-time, and I know you are a big fan of required fixes and work-arounds from the jump.

Do you even have NCAA yet?

Can we please just let the EA bias go at some point and just judge the game on it's actual merits, not on who developed it?
My sentiments about EA football have nothing to with bias against EA. In fact, I think I have played NHL 08 more then any other video game I have ever owned, including NFL 2k5. In addition, I just picked up Nascar 09 to enjoy some racing fun but that is another story.

I think it speaks more about the state of gaming next gen when games are pushed out with obvious flaws because game devs can patch (at least the first one) without much cost to the company, leaving consumers to deal with such issues until said patch arrives. I mean the roster bug is one thing because it most likely slipped through the cracks. I mean who would think naming all the players would break the game when auto naming does not? The return problem was a known issue and the game was shipped anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #32
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetaternuts
Just wanted to see if anyone who had the game (Undefeated, Solidice, cb, ODogg, AA etc) could comment on this
I'm going to play and test this method out right now. Sounds similar to what I was doing with returns last night...until 2:30 am! My wife thinks I'm psychotic. LOL. Anyway, my NCAA-oliday continues today.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »