Home

After 2 days, I have discovered the reason for the high CPU pass % (must read)

This is a discussion on After 2 days, I have discovered the reason for the high CPU pass % (must read) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 34
Re: After 2 days, I have discovered the reason for the high CPU pass % (must read)

I figured out a couple of things, that have allowed me to have a fighting chance against the CPU QB.

Every QB in the game is programmed to look short-intermediate middle 1st, then sideline, and if absolutely positively nothing else is there, THEN they look long.

It's basically the reverse of reality, when a real QB will look downfield 1st and then progressively check down.

What I did in a ND(Me) vs Michigan game on Heisman, was primarily user control a safety in zone or 1 and 2 man coverage. Whatever zone I am playing, I make sure I have the LB positioned in the middle of the dang field, and I control the safety who is playing robber coverage.

I strafe towards towards the middle of the field to jump any slants, crosses, etc.

I actually say the CPU hold the ball, and actually take a couple of shots down the field. To my utter shock, the QB also threw the ball away out of bounds.

I havent played online yet, and to be perfectly frank, I'm not looking forward to the experience, so all of this probably goes out the window there, but it worked in the last game I played on heisman vs. the CPU.

I" held" Michigans big bad 77 overall redshirt freshman QB to 60% completion %...in this dang game, I'll take that and run.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #18
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: After 2 days, I have discovered the reason for the high CPU pass % (must read)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
It's a combo of the following.

1. "Lazy" blitzing and defensive movement (i.e what you are describing with the LBs and DLs)

2. Too many instances of O linemen knocking down half of the D line, be it by chop blocking them, pancaking them, or simply stone walling them in the "rodeo" tussle. This of course kills any notion of a consistent 4 man rush or pocket collapse with half of your line laying on the ground within a second of the snap.

3. Hyper Smart QBs who find the open man everytime and who get rid of the ball very quickly.

4. Reduced aggressiveness by the DBs, LBs, and Safeties in pass coverage and inability to stay with WRs for any real length of time.

Take all 4 and that is why the QBs seem unstoppable and defense seems "hit or miss".

Yes the game is very FUN. But these issues, in my opinion....do exist.
you forgot the inabhility for CPU QB to throw deep, they never go deep, so they never risk passes.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:48 AM   #19
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

It’s always been like this, it’s nothing new. Most likely it is the result of the physics engine not running during pre-snap movements. Why would you waste the CPUs needed to run it and slow the player down from making pre-snap adjustments. Your LB doesn't lose speed all of a sudden, it would happen to any player you move. Size, speed, ratings, etc don't matter in pre-snap, its about getting your players lined up and that's it.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #20
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewaat
Fully agree with the OP...I'm about to do a test and set my LB's at 99 speed and see what happens. If they are slow then we've got a problem.
I'm really curious to see how this worked out....
Old 07-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
C'mon guys, I know I'm not the only one who notices this!!! Try it! The defensive control response is very much lacking in comparison to the offensive controls.

Joshin: The QB sits in the pocket for so long b/c as I said, it seems like after the snap the LB, DL lose alot of their speed after the snap. This makes it near impossible for blitzes or even a reguar pas rush to be effective.

This needs to be fixed.
I noticed it the other night while playing Tug of War, Derek Nicholson was as slow as a slug in the middle of the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #22
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
It's a combo of the following.

1. "Lazy" blitzing and defensive movement (i.e what you are describing with the LBs and DLs)

2. Too many instances of O linemen knocking down half of the D line, be it by chop blocking them, pancaking them, or simply stone walling them in the "rodeo" tussle. This of course kills any notion of a consistent 4 man rush or pocket collapse with half of your line laying on the ground within a second of the snap.

3. Hyper Smart QBs who find the open man everytime and who get rid of the ball very quickly.

4. Reduced aggressiveness by the DBs, LBs, and Safeties in pass coverage and inability to stay with WRs for any real length of time.

Take all 4 and that is why the QBs seem unstoppable and defense seems "hit or miss".

Yes the game is very FUN. But these issues, in my opinion....do exist.
I agree with this 100%..In addition I am noticing a disturbing trend where the player about to sack the CPU suddenly stops, jumps, or turns around in the other direction...I can count at least 5 times where I have a QB sacked on a playaction and the player suddenly develops brain freeze..it's frustrating and obviously programmed by EA to fit into this offensive concept..The reality is wide open gameplay play simply means we dumbed down the defense..thats it...
Old 07-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #23
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

yea, all of you make good points. the lb's getting slow after the snap is one of the first things i noticed. i'm on heisman and the cpu qb's get about 55% up to 70% for the good qb's. they have all day to throw but i'm not having a problem covering. still no rush. i don't feel they made the defense dumber but just removed the warping animation. the d sucked last year. to much suction blocking. the defensive players controled by the cpu(on your team) don't speed burst on the blitzes. but the biggest problem is the dline dosent engage. watch how many steps they take before they get to the oline. unless u pinch they run around for a few steps before the rush. they go left then run into the online or whatever you have called they just don't go after the qb. i don't even want to get into the outside containment by the d ends. doesnt exist.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #24
Rookie

Jmustang1968's Arena

OVR: 1

I think they did this to prevent the in motion bug so the defender will keep up with the motion player regardless of speed. I thought I remembered reading that from a dev q&a or something. But when the ball is snapped, they revert to their 'in-game' speed ratings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »