Home

Ratings are NOT broke just dumbed down!!!

This is a discussion on Ratings are NOT broke just dumbed down!!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 12:45 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Ratings are NOT broke just dumbed down!!!

I just did some testing and by adjusting man coverage and zone coverage ratings i have gotten much better pass defense. Also the lack of pass rush is a result of slow defensive lineman. No need to adjust their speed just acceleration...finally we have been asking for a noticeable difference in ACC and EA has finally given it to us. A DE with 75 SPD and 99 ACC will get off the line faster than a DE with 85 SPD and 75 ACC. I know its a pain in the ***, especially with the roster glitch, it looks like there needs to be a massive re-rate of rosters. Don't check OVRs, they mean nothing. Check position specific ratings. I alos have a theory about punt and kickoff coverage I believe it has to do with Pursuit ratings...I'll test it and report later.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:51 AM   #2
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Ratings are NOT broke just dumbed down!!!

Very interesting theory. It seems as if nothing is what it appears to be. Like Batman.

Speaking of, I bet he'd have a 99 in agility.
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Old 07-19-2008, 01:05 AM   #3
Rookie

tfin1212's Arena

You could be right but it would suck to have to do all of that editing and besides i buy this game for the dynasty and it'll suck even more that all the new recruits throughout the nation will come in with screwed up ratings.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:21 AM   #4
MVP

deucepoppi17's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niq54
I just did some testing and by adjusting man coverage and zone coverage ratings i have gotten much better pass defense. Also the lack of pass rush is a result of slow defensive lineman. No need to adjust their speed just acceleration...finally we have been asking for a noticeable difference in ACC and EA has finally given it to us. A DE with 75 SPD and 99 ACC will get off the line faster than a DE with 85 SPD and 75 ACC. I know its a pain in the ***, especially with the roster glitch, it looks like there needs to be a massive re-rate of rosters. Don't check OVRs, they mean nothing. Check position specific ratings. I alos have a theory about punt and kickoff coverage I believe it has to do with Pursuit ratings...I'll test it and report later.
But EA has been quoted saying that SPD is for long distance down the field and ACC is a burst. Which would make complete sense and prove right. DL with a high ACC will explode into the backfield but they would never catch a fast WR down the sideline.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:30 AM   #5
Rookie

Thumbs down Re: Ratings are NOT broke just dumbed down!!!

As expected raising the PURSUIT ratings of every WR and DB has drastically changed the kickoff and punt coverage. I also have raised each DB and WR block shedding ratings. (THINK, IN REAL LIFE IT IS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO BLOCK SOME ONE IN SPACE. ESPECIALLY A 180 POUND DB OR WR RUNNING FULL SPEED. ON THE CONTRAST SINCE THEY ARE LIGHT IF YOU GET A CLEAN SHOT< WATCH OUT, BUT WITH ALL THEIR BLOCK SHEDDING RATINGS LOW THEY GET PICKED OFF EASILY. ALSO MOST LONG RUNS IN REAL LIFE ARE THROUGH THE TACKLES AND BETWEEN THE CORNERS NOT AROUND THEM LIKE IN NCAA. ITS BEEN A STAPLE IN VIDEO GAME FOOTBALL TO IMMEDIATELY RUN OUTSIDE TO BREAK LONG RUNS WHEN THAT IS NOT REALITY) anyway the kicking tream can still be push-blocked out of the way like REAL football. Rarely do return teams get clean shots to roll up and block head on sprinting kickoff teams. I believe in previous years NCAA special teams were handled simply by an Special Teams Engine and it didn't matter what players were in the unit. Now ratings matter. Of course it would be perfect if we were given FORMATION SUBs to put in our best players for corresponding special teams, but I think it is good to see that player ratings DO matter. I think this helps make the game more realistic.

Everyone wants the game to be more realistic, and players to play to their ratings. For the most part this year they do. Its just the ratings are completely messed up. The reason LBs don't cover is because their coverage ratings are in the 50s and 60's move them up to the 70s and you actually get decent coverage. Its the same with DBs. A DB may be rated a 90 OVR but his coverage ratings may be in the 70's. While this may work for a LB it cause HUGE holes when DBs cant cover an area. I tested the ratings and AWR really doesn't affect ANY POSITION besides QBs. It does affect OVRs though. So you'll see high rated players play BAD because their position specific ratings are low. I remember it was posted somewhere that EA was trying to stop players from simply worrying about OVRs and actually look for players who can play.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:57 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfin1212
You could be right but it would suck to have to do all of that editing and besides i buy this game for the dynasty and it'll suck even more that all the new recruits throughout the nation will come in with screwed up ratings.

I just simmed a first year of a dynasty and all I can suggest is that you recruit more DBs than WRs. The DBs will show up on kick coverage rather than WRs. I know everyone likes WRs, I play as MICHIGAN so I always get good WRs but it is wise to stock up on DBs for special teams...I'd rather have them out there than WRs anyway.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:15 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

I don't know what skill level you play on but every long run I have had on NCAA in the past ten years has been up the middle or in between the tackles. I never bounce anything outside or I lose yardage or gain nothing. Team defense speed is just too good on Heisman level to get around. Most all of my long runs are a burst through the middle and then make a juke move on the secondary and then get to the sideline and race, but I never go around everybody. I think you are doing some interesting stuff so I'm not being confrontational, I just don't even bother choosing sweeps and stuff. The only play I have ever had luck with around the end is the option and that is only if my QB gets outside the tackles and draws everybody to him and pitches to a fast back as he's falling to the ground and my back races to the endzone. That was especially common on NCAA 08
Old 07-19-2008, 02:23 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrestedJOX
I don't know what skill level you play on but every long run I have had on NCAA in the past ten years has been up the middle or in between the tackles. I never bounce anything outside or I lose yardage or gain nothing. Team defense speed is just too good on Heisman level to get around. Most all of my long runs are a burst through the middle and then make a juke move on the secondary and then get to the sideline and race, but I never go around everybody. I think you are doing some interesting stuff so I'm not being confrontational, I just don't even bother choosing sweeps and stuff. The only play I have ever had luck with around the end is the option and that is only if my QB gets outside the tackles and draws everybody to him and pitches to a fast back as he's falling to the ground and my back races to the endzone. That was especially common on NCAA 08
I understand, most realism players DO run between the tackles, I include my self in that group. But I see the outside run being used WAY too much by people online, and with online dynasty it can be a real pain in the ***. Your CBs get all the tackles and LBs get 2 or 3 because cheesers only use the sideline. I was just stating how I'm attempting to tweak the game's gameplay engine with ratings to get more realistic games/results. I'm not insulting anyone.

Last edited by Niq54; 07-19-2008 at 02:28 AM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »