Home

To offer or to not to offer... that is the question

This is a discussion on To offer or to not to offer... that is the question within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50
To offer or to not to offer... that is the question

How early do you guys offer players when recruiting them? Do you offer as soon as you can, do you wait? Is there a disadvantage or advantage depending on when?

Quick call... how does it work? is it best to recruit the old way or use quick call?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: To offer or to not to offer... that is the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
How early do you guys offer players when recruiting them? Do you offer as soon as you can, do you wait? Is there a disadvantage or advantage depending on when?

Quick call... how does it work? is it best to recruit the old way or use quick call?
For me, it usually depends on the caliber of the recruit and how many offers he has already received. If it's a big time 5-star recruit, I usually offer them a scholarship within the first couple of weeks because I want to let them know I'm serious about them. Also, they are getting offers from other programs, and I don't want them to make their decision too early and leave me out in the cold. I don't think there is really an advantage or a disadvantage to offering a scholarship early, but I really don't think it ever hurts you.

As for the quick call, basically you just let the computer know how many minutes you want to spend talking to the player and if you want to offer them a scholarship. Then, depending on the length of the conversation you wanted, it will unlock certain preferences of the recruit and let's you know what they like and don't like.

I really enjoy recruiting and trying to get to know my players as best I can, so I don't use the quick call very often because it's more of a "thoughtless" way of recruiting. I will occasionally use it on a lesser-caliber type player if I don't care too much if I sign him or not. But, if you're not a big fan of recruiting and just like to play the games, the quick call is the way to go.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
Pro

xxjgbxx's Arena

OVR: 9

i normally wait until the day they visit or the day after, with my dynasty in heisman i just got the #2 class that way and brought in 25 new freshman
Old 07-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

I do it over the first two weeks since it chews up some recruiting time just offering a scholarship and I want to get it out of the way.

I did get very lucky in year #2 of my PSU dynasty where I offered the #6 CB a scholarship in Week 1 and he committed immediately, without me even offering a single pitch! I've heard of such things happening rarely in last year's game but have never seen it until now.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 30

In week one I offer everyone who has me at #1. Usually I'll get 2-4 commits in week one without using a pitch, which saves me points and lets me eliminate any other competing position recruits.

After that, I offer anyone who lists me as the #1 in subsequent weeks for the same reason. After about week 5, I just offer anyone else I want, and then drop people once players start committing.

I always go the long way.

My first year of recruiting really threw me off, since 13 of the top 100 players were from Alabama, so I got 5 *****s within the first like 2 or 3 weeks. But since then, it hasn't been difficult per say, but it's not as easy as it was.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2008, 11:32 PM   #6
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf

Here's how scholarship offers work... every week, anyone you have an offer to will get a small bump in interest. It isn't a lot, but it is a bump. However, if a player has you as his #1 school and you offer him a scholarship, there is a random chance he will commit on the spot. This is a HUGE advantage cause he is locked down and you don't have to spend time on him anymore.

Personally... I don't offer my top 5-7 prospects. I can usually get them to have me #1 on their list before they are ready to commit. Five guys is a more realistic number though.

As far as quick call, no you are better off talking calling him manually. However, it isn't as quick. I use quick call to offer scholarships to the guys at the bottom of my recruiting board. All I have found it really useful for is unlocking pitches and a quick way to get through the rest of recruiting once I have everything I need and anyone I might end up getting is likely to be cut. But I'm pretty hardcore when it comes to dynasty mode!
Old 07-20-2008, 01:06 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
This is a HUGE advantage cause he is locked down and you don't have to spend time on him anymore.
So once they commit, can you drop them off of your recruiting board, or would that make them no longer commited?
Old 07-20-2008, 04:01 AM   #8
Rookie

Old Gold and Blue's Arena

OVR: 3

Ok I have a question or two since this is the first year I'm getting into dynasty. What makes recruits lose interest in you? I beat Ohio St in week 3 (I'm WVU) and I moved up on the interest lists of a lot of recruits. But then after I beat Colorado the following week, I moved down on a couple of recruits' lists, while not gaining more interest from a bunch of other recruits. For example I was the first choice for a tightend, but then after the Colorado game I was bumped down to two, and I did call him and have his little football face grinning. So am I missing something or what?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »