Home

Are speed ratings a problem in NCAA 09?

This is a discussion on Are speed ratings a problem in NCAA 09? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Are speed ratings a problem in NCAA 09?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewaat
Personally I disagree. You know if they just made the LBs faster I would be happy. Having them match up against HBs is completely unfair in this game no matter how good the LB is.
Tere are maybe 3-4 linebackers in the NFL that could effectively match up with a HB. Why should there be so many in the NCAA?

I think allot of you guys have warped images of realism. I agree with the previous poster in saying that this LOOKs allot like college football
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
Tere are maybe 3-4 linebackers in the NFL that could effectively match up with a HB. Why should there be so many in the NCAA?

I think allot of you guys have warped images of realism. I agree with the previous poster in saying that this LOOKs allot like college football
I disagree and I don't think people have warped images of realism either. What is not accounted for is short area burst and how defenders use the field to their advantage. I don't think anyone would even argue in many instances an LB is going to run step for step with a RB. The issue however is, when it comes to getting around to an edge and the RB can run free and the LB can run free, more often than not that RB is not going to get the edge because of the angle and short area burst.

Secondly, I'd disagree that it Looks alot like College football. Say what you mean here. If you mean statistics I'd agree, but if you mean the individual things that happen on each play by position ect, I disagree completely. The way the DE's play in this game looks nothing like College DE play. As I said in the other post, if this is how you think college defenders play, then you should also think the teams in the NFL that pick these guys in the 1st - 3rd rounds are wasting picks.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:02 PM   #27
Banned

heavy_hitter's Arena

OVR: 8

I feel that they are a huge problem this year more so than any other year.

Combined with the lack of pursuit angles it really hurts on kickoffs, punts, and turnovers.

The biggest problem is the ratings like agility and quickness really don't mean anything. If you have an 85 speed QB he is going to be hawked down by a 75+ DE. This shouldn't happen if the QB gets the corner. The DE end should slow the QB down by changing his angle and allowing a LB or DB to swallow him up. This isn't the case. Though a DE may be as fast as the QB, 9 out of ten times they don't have the agility or quickness to keep up with them.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:09 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I will preface this by saying I'm speaking from one particular perspective, namely online head to head play. I think here, more than anywhere else the speed disadvantage on defense makes this game one that people will easily put down once Madden comes out..........
Not gonna quote the whole post for space issues.

Good post by the way LB, I understand where you are coming from. BUT this kinda of post can be made about just about any football game made to this date.

On a whole the game plays good, is it great? NO. See I play ONLINE in NON RANKED games with sliders. This greatly helps. Having the D read quicker, break for passes/runs quicker. Much more defensive games.

Now I understand the ranked crowd would be upset to have to be forced to deal with the short comings of the "default" ranked game. It is way favored for the offense. We all knew this was going to be this way. Anything EA states will be the extreme of it. Think playmaker year, everyone ran around with vick. Or hitstick year, everyone was hitting like ronnie lott every play. It is how they do things.

But with patched sliders I think we can get the game working good. Even with some editors to fix the speed ratings across the teams to tighting up the speed and make it little closer might even help.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #29
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Some of his individual numbers may be questionable, but his overall point is right on the money. I hit on it in the Poll thread. The numbers are arbitrary for defense and simply there for show. None of the DE's in this game are athletic. They all take off on the snap, stand up and start running like Ogre's, like the ones from the game Ogre Battle, just hunched over and all slow. Linebackers are pathetically slow. The hook zones in several of the plays are broken. The flats zones in several plays out of the 335 Stack Playbook are broken.

I don't know about offline but online you have to play this friggin game like the old EA games on D in order to even compete, namely, forget normal defenses. Stay in Nickel, Dime and Quarters all game long or else you are asking for problems.
I disagree that the defense is broken. Maybe I'm simply a defensive genius and don't realize it but I only give up 17 points per game online. Most of the time my opponent scores in the teens or less including 2 shutouts. I think most people here don't really know how to play defense. They are used to calling cover 2 man press every play and expecting every receiver to be blanketed.

There are ways to stop or significantly hinder any offensive strategy, including crossing routes and short passes. The key is to understand your opponent's mindset and figure out what he likes to do and make him do the opposite. Most people are one trick ponies, they know how to do something well and they are incapable of doing anything else. Take that trick away and they are inept.

My online stats (select NCAA from the drop down menu): http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/stats/index/id/7060

Last edited by Sigma4Life; 07-23-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #30
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

I think we all agree that the speed is an issue, but its an issue of a larger element. If that was the only thing broken, (i.e. LB not being able to stick with HB), it would be minimal. But when you add on all the otehr issues, it gets compounded and becomes a huge issue.

I have no problem with a higher rated HB (92 SPD) running away from an 78 SPD LB. To ask taht LB to stay with the HB for 8 seconds is ridiculous. You usually ask him to do that for 3-4 seconds and allow the pass rush to shut it down, not in NCAA 09

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #31
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma4Life
I disagree that the defense is broken. Maybe I'm simply a defensive genius and don't realize it but I only give up 17 points per game online. Most of the time my opponent scores in the teens or less including 2 shutouts. I think most people here don't really know how to play defense. They are used to calling cover 2 man press every play and expecting every receiver to be blanketed.

There are ways to stop or significantly hinder any offensive strategy, including crossing routes and short passes. The key is to understand your opponent's mindset and figure out what he likes to do and make him do the opposite. Most people are one trick ponies, they know how to do something well and they are incapable of doing anything else. Take that trick away and they are inept.

My online stats (select NCAA from the drop down menu): http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/stats/index/id/7060
Looks like someone needs to take the AA "Ratings mean jack so I'll take a Scrub team and beat your Powerhouse" Challenge.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2008, 01:07 PM   #32
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Looks like someone needs to take the AA "Ratings mean jack so I'll take a Scrub team and beat your Powerhouse" Challenge.
I knew this was coming, i wish i had posted it first just to beat you to the punch

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »