Home

Are speed ratings a problem in NCAA 09?

This is a discussion on Are speed ratings a problem in NCAA 09? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #41
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Are speed ratings a problem in NCAA 09?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickkill77
I play with USF a lot because I go to college there and I dont think I have ever seen George Selvie get a single sack since I started playing. I agree that the speed is a joke in this game. A team like USF lives on their speed especially on defense. They arent five star "studs" like USC or Florida.

If the people that think low end programs dont have speed, then watch the USF vs WVU game from last year. We beat Pat White, Noel Divine, and Slaton because of our speed. If speed is negated in this game and height is the most important thing than teams like South Florida become obsolete. Although this year our offense is freaky
It's funny you mention Selvie, last year I saw a couple USF games and he was able to consistently disrupt passing plays simply by speed rushing and getting around the edge and making the QB feel his presence or by getting to the QB. You simply cannot speed rush in the game and it really limits a player like Selvie who is an athletic freak but in the game plays like an interior lineman.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2008, 02:19 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Why don't we do a test roster.

Take two mid range teams. Bump the speed of the DE's and LBs. SLIGHTLY.

Then bump the Break block rating on the DE's and DT's and see if that helps the pass rush. If this is the case then we can fix most of these issues ourselfs when the roster fix comes.

I am at work other wise I would test this out.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #43
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma4Life
I disagree that the defense is broken. Maybe I'm simply a defensive genius and don't realize it but I only give up 17 points per game online. Most of the time my opponent scores in the teens or less including 2 shutouts. I think most people here don't really know how to play defense. They are used to calling cover 2 man press every play and expecting every receiver to be blanketed.

There are ways to stop or significantly hinder any offensive strategy, including crossing routes and short passes. The key is to understand your opponent's mindset and figure out what he likes to do and make him do the opposite. Most people are one trick ponies, they know how to do something well and they are incapable of doing anything else. Take that trick away and they are inept.

My online stats (select NCAA from the drop down menu): http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/stats/index/id/7060
I didn't say the game overall was "broken" as his overall point wasn't the game is "broken." His point is there are speed discrepancies that do not make sense. Secondly, I don't doubt that you have had success online. I'm at .500. But I've played a couple of tournament players and I'm not as optimistic. Against a normal cheeser maybe, but against a tourney player, I'm not. Lastly, when I look at how the DE's rush the passer in this game it just doesn't look like someone that has a motor to get after the QB.

Many of the hook zones ARE broken though (as the guys don't even drop to the hook/curl, they strart going somewhere else. It wouldn't be bad if they were flowing with a WR, but often times I'm just sitting there wonder where in the F are you going, your zone says you go right here, there is no WR around, why are you going over there?), I will say that, and many of the flat zones in the 335 Across ARE broken - do not function properly.

I ask that you go look at it and see for yourself and watch the play as it has the safety on the right going to the left flat and the safety on the left going to the right flat. Not only is that the play art, but that's the logic of the play. That's broken, wrong, stupid, or whatever else negative you can call it. It is everything but right and how that zone is supposed to be ran. The sad thing is they had it RIGHT last year in 08. It's the same F'ing play from 335 Across from 08, 07 and they had it right in those games, so for me to see it as it is, there is nothing else to call it but broken. Sure you can change it with the D Hot routes, but then you get into the whole thing of Overcompensating for a programming error. And if you are overcompensating for an error then the thing you are overcompensative for is what? Broken, Bugged, Glitched or whatever else we call it around here and other boards.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #44
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetaternuts
AA, you are need here now
Yeah, I'm already set up to play Ram209. He pmed me saying he wanted to take my challenge.

So after I light him up with 60 rated Idaho, he'll most likely be changing his tune.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:29 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Yeah, I'm already set up to play Ram209. He pmed me saying he wanted to take my challenge.

So after I light him up with 60 rated Idaho, he'll most likely be changing his tune.
You should probably use Troy for this job. Leave no doubt.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2008, 02:30 PM   #46
MVP

babyfat9's Arena

OVR: 14

Speed is definitely a problem especially on crossing patterns. I"m a Linebacker with a 88 speed and i'm covering a TE who's speed is 84 and the computer slows me up when i'm covering him...I"m always trailing, even then it's hard to run him down.

Monsters of the Midway
Chicago Bears
Old 07-23-2008, 02:30 PM   #47
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni

When is this taking place? Whats the spread?

Speed is goofed up, so much seems screwed up, and yet, i dont see where its getting the attention. It was stated it was "getting looked at" but after that, its been silence on the defensive issue

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:33 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 9

A few things.

1) The original article is very flawed. The speed difference between college level players and guys playing for Idaho are HUGE along the front 7. Perhaps not as large as in real life, but they are still larger then he depicts. Speed is the biggest factor between NFL bound and not.

He also fails to account for the fact that during the NFL combine players are fresh and not in pads. During a game, the big guys get tired faster and have more equipment on.

2) I believe the bad defense has everything to do with the pass rush. Often times my LB (with lower speed) will take a decent angle and be in decent position (not perfect, but decent) for the first few seconds.

As time lapses, the position worsens due to the speed difference and eventually he gets open. This is fairly realistic (not perfect, but its a video game) and we'd be having a similar discussion if our 94 speed RB couldn't get open against a 78 speed LB. In fact, we did, last year...when our fast WR couldn't beat slow corners deep.

To me, the real issue is the pass rush and "3rd read" QB play. I don't care who I play, if I go into the shotgun I'm going to get to make 3 reads 95% of the time. This means I have over 5 seconds to throw, and nobody can consistently cover a team for 5 seconds a play in man. It just doesn't happen.

You can have good initial coverage, but it eventually breaks down...like it should.

3) There are definately awareness issues with zone coverage. LB's just ignore the crossing pattern, or even double team one and let the other go.

Another issue though is how much better the O-playbooks got while the defensive books still stink. The offense got all these new concepts in the passing game and the defense wasn't given anything to counter them with.

The "drive" play and the extra stuff out of the 3x1 sets normally would prompt a defense to use combo coverages, but we don't have them. The defense wasn't given any new ways to lineup to combat the new offensive stuff.

Its like using a high school defensive playbook to stop an NFL offense. You just don't have the tools.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »