Home

The biggest beef I have with this game (once again)

This is a discussion on The biggest beef I have with this game (once again) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2008, 02:01 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: The biggest beef I have with this game (once again)

BYU is ranked #20 and they're a 79 overall. Back to back 11-2 seasons, and this year most mags are predicting an undefeated season for BYU. EA has always, always screwed BYU....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 02:08 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo daniels 52
I Posted this on day 1. Im a big Penn State guy just like you are for Oregon. Now everyone knows PSU has had their share of problems lately and they probably shouldnt be a 91 overall team. But dear God... the way they made them a 91 is incredible. First of all there are 5 missing STARTERS.. YES STARTERS THAT STARTED LAST SEASON. Second of all, they get everything wrong like why the hell is Tyrell Sales a 90 overall OLB when he should be a 84 overall MLB. Why the hell is Jerome Hayes a 84 MLB when hes a DEFENSIVE END. Why is Devon Still a 64 speed defensive end? OH BECAUSE HES ACTUALLY A DT! It's really incredible and the worst one out of any of them is the running back Evan Royster is a 84.. fine but he shouldnt have 94 Speed! He's not even a 4.4 guy. The backup on the other hand should have 96 speed and he has 88! Its incredible to me. BTW FSU is way overrated its awful and so is Ohio State. I dont care if they go to the NC every year how can they be rated better than LSU? Friggin EA SPORTS - IF YOUR TEAM SUCKS IN THE GAME ITS A SHAME
I'd like to consolidate all of the roster mistakes into one place and send them to EA. Probably won't do much good, but at least maybe they'll think about it eventually. I mean, it's one thing when people start to complain that their favorite guy isn't rated high enough. I was pretty pissed last year when Jonathan Stewart was only rated 92 and had the same strength and break tackle rating at 235 pounds that Steve Slaton did at 185. But it's another thing entirely when the ratings are so bad that die hard fans start complaining that their teams are TOO good, and that their players are rated way too high. At least if they're going to make low ranked teams with high ratings, and high ranked teams with low rankings, they need to come out with some kind of team unity rating that would make a talented team like FSU or Miami play worse because of their lack of teamwork, and a less talented team like Kansas play better because everyone always hits their assignment at the right time.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:21 AM   #27
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

As much as I'm enjoying this game overall, I think EA was lazy this year for the large part when it came to the rosters.

Case and point, my team, Virginia: while they are for the most part rated fairly IMO, a number of issues still exist on the default roster:

-CB #28 Mike Brown and WR #82 Chris Dalton are no longer with the team; Dalton was declared academically ineligible in February, while Brown was kicked off the team after being arrested for grand larceny not long after.

-WR #22 Staton Jobe is NOT 6'5"; on Virginia's website he's listed at 6', but he's actually closer to 5'8".

-RB #37 Cedric Peerman somehow went down two points from 08 to 09. Yes, he missed the back half of the season with an injury, but he was most definitely one of the top backs in the ACC while he was playing.

-The biggest issue with UVa's roster: a whole slew of players' eligibility is incorrectly listed; a number of freshmen who redshirted last year are inaccurately listed as true sophomores in the game (instead of redshirt freshmen), and WR #20 Kevin Ogletree, who received a medical redshirt last year and is now a redshirt junior, is listed as a true senior. While not a factor in Play Now or in single online games, in Dynasty mode this is a large concern.

Hearing the complaints about the rosters of other teams (Kansas, Florida State, and Wake Forest in particular) and combining that with mine, I've come to the conclusion that the roster guys at EA pretty much mailed it in this year. The game plays great, but I'd like for the performance of the teams relative to each other to mirror real life as well.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:47 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 5

You guys do know that you can edit the rosters to your liking, right?

I would be much more concerned about the things you can't change, such as gameplay concerns, or the fact that there are still no formation subs or a coaching carousel of some type.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:07 AM   #29
vs. the World

frankplastictrees's Arena

OVR: 7

Don't know how much ratings actually effect anything. I've simmed the first season of dynasty a couple of times, and each time Georgia loses 4 or 5 games. Kansas one year won 10 games, and the other 8 which is pretty awesome with how difficult their schedule is this year.

Just got done playing with Kansas in a dynasty too, and was able to go 11-3 winning the Fiesta Bowl in the first season, and I found the team to be a passing juggernaut even with most of the receivers being rated in the high 70's. Only complaint is Dezmon Briscoe with a speed rating of 80, there are a lot of tight ends faster than him.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_riot
You guys do know that you can edit the rosters to your liking, right?

I would be much more concerned about the things you can't change, such as gameplay concerns, or the fact that there are still no formation subs or a coaching carousel of some type.
First of all, you can't edit your rosters for online play. I like to play with my team, but winning becomes nearly impossible with them when playing one of the top teams, even though Oregon should be at least competitive with them. Secondly the redshirt mess-ups and omitted/extra players can't really be corrected either. Also, you can't bring your edited roster into an online dynasty unless you host it. So the problem may be fixed on my own offline dynasty, but that's as far as it goes. I also have a lot of team pride, and I want everyone else out there who plays to know that Jairus Byrd and Walter Thurmond can ball, and that the starting QB for Oregon is Nate Costa, not some punk who couldn't break into the starting lineup so he transfers.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderRatedCoast
Despite it's many flaws, some of which are understandable (hey, you try designing a videogame), this is still my very favorite game year in and year out. I believe much of hit has to do with the fact that I'm a die hard college football fan. Being thus, however, has it's drawbacks. Those drawbacks happen to be that I read every preseason college mag (Steele, Lindy, Athlon, the works), and follow all the recruiting sites, so I pretty much have it down which players are the better ones, the faster ones, the worse ones, ect. That being said, who rates the players in the game and sets up the rosters? It seems like every year they are pretty decent, but there are those ratings that just make you scratch your head. I'll take my own favorite team (Oregon) for example, since I know their roster the best.

1) At QB, the highest rated QB on the team is Kempt. There's only one problem: he isn't even on the team anymore, since he transferred last spring due to the fact that he was only the 5th or 6th best QB on the roster. Now, the guy who finished the season as the starter last year, Justin Roper, isn't even on the game. And the projected starter, Nate Costa, is the worst QB on the roster. Also, there were two big name QB recruits who made their way to Oregon. One is Darren Thomas, who made his way decently onto the roster, but the other one (the better one) is named Chris Harper, and he only makes his appearance as a very slow, very untalented running back. Normally position mistakes can be somewhat understandable, as not all players have even reported yet, however these two graduated early and both played in the spring game in March - at QB.

2) One of the two best WRs on the team, #6 (Derrick Jones) got kicked off the team a few months ago for dealing drugs. Another guy, Jamele Holland, a big name transfer from USC and projected starter, missed out on even being on the team. Come on now, he's a projected starter and was on the practice squad all of last season while sitting out his required year.

3) At defensive end, Oregon starts one of the best, if not THE best end in the Pac 10, and one of the best pass rushers in the country. He led the conference in sacks and TFL last year on his way to being named to the all-conference team. How does this only warrant an 82 rating? Sure, sub-par players tend to get inflated stats when playing in a weak conference, but this is the Pac 10.

4) Oregon sports what is likely the best defensive backfield in the Pac 10, and possibly the best in the whole country. As a matter of fact, Phil Steele believes that they are the best in the country. They are led by Patrick Chung, Walter Thurmond, and Jairus Byrd, all preseason all-americans and all pac 10 guys from last season. All three have been placed on the Thorpe watch list (top 40 defensive backs preseason). Somehow, while Chung's abilities didn't escape the notorious player raters, Thurmond and Byrd have been relegated to very average, very pedestrian corners with Thurmond garnishing an 87 rating and Byrd a very uninspiring 82 while being slower than a lot of linebackers. That's a worse rating than they had in NCAA '08. I don't understand how a rating can go down after going from Freshman all-american to all-pac 10 the next season to just being another cornerback who wouldn't start for half the teams in the conference.

5) And that brings me to the overall team rating, which is 81. If I'm not mistaken, that's the worst rating by any team in the top 25, and if you ranked the teams by their rating and not by their ranking, Oregon would be the 5th best team in the conference. Michigan is rated better than them for crying out loud! A team that lost a 4 year starter at RB and QB, both of their starting receivers, and the best members from their offensive line, who lost 39-7 at home the year before, and who has a new coach running the spread offense with pro-style players. Now, I've seen the videos on the internet of the game developer showing off his product, and I noticed that he talked a lot about being a Cal fan, but is this some kind of grudge?

Now these are only the specifics for my team, which makes me seem like an incredibly huge homer (and that I may be), but I recognize a screw job when I see one...and I know this isn't the only case. In some of the cases it's rating a player or team TOO good. I mean, tell me: when was the last time Florida State did anything of great significance, especially one that warrants such a high team rating. And Matt Stafford of Georgia still riding high on his 5 star recruiting rating 3 years later, since it's obvious that he didn't get his rating by being the 56th rated passer in the NCAAs last season. And mis-rating a team like FAU or Louisiana-Monroe is pretty understandable, but messing up top 25 teams is pretty weak.

I know it's a long gripe, but it just seems like such an easy thing to miss when you have literally dozens of writers out there who make a living rating players. I'd think it wouldn't take much to get a rating out of them, or at least read what they're writing in their magazines. Hell, I know an entire message board dedicated to college football enough that would gladly rate every player for free, and I'm one of those people.

PS The game is still awesome, and thanks for putting in the online dynasty mode. It's fun as hell and as addictive as crack. Tempers start to flair when people don't hurry and play their next game.
You are complaining about rosters???? Wow. There may be a lot of writers making ratings but I bet about all disagree on who gets what.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderRatedCoast
First of all, you can't edit your rosters for online play. I like to play with my team, but winning becomes nearly impossible with them when playing one of the top teams, even though Oregon should be at least competitive with them. Secondly the redshirt mess-ups and omitted/extra players can't really be corrected either. Also, you can't bring your edited roster into an online dynasty unless you host it. So the problem may be fixed on my own offline dynasty, but that's as far as it goes. I also have a lot of team pride, and I want everyone else out there who plays to know that Jairus Byrd and Walter Thurmond can ball, and that the starting QB for Oregon is Nate Costa, not some punk who couldn't break into the starting lineup so he transfers.
I hadn't thought of that being strictly an offline player. I'm just upset that unless a gameplay patch drastically improves this game, I will get no college football fix this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »