Home

In real life Lb's can't keep up with Rb's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on In real life Lb's can't keep up with Rb's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2008, 02:32 PM   #49
Rookie

trayeight's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: In real life Lb's can't keep up with Rb's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tate09
he has to use the sideline as an extra defender and take a conservative angle and not overpursue to the outside. keep a little separation until he is certain what route is being run. don't do what every defensive player in NCAA 09 does and chase the RB or WRs heels putting themselves in an awful position unless the defensive player has a 20 PT speed advantage.
Ok, using the sideline as an extra defender works if the back is running the route into the boundary, but not if he is running it to the field. If the LB hangs back, he's beat.

Again, with D-line pressure, in my opinion, most of this would go away.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayeight
Ok, using the sideline as an extra defender works if the back is running the route into the boundary, but not if he is running it to the field. If the LB hangs back, he's beat.

Again, with D-line pressure, in my opinion, most of this would go away.
he's definitely more vulnerable to the field but it's not like he actually has to cover the RB all the way to the other sideline. most throws to the flats on the field side are going to be made quickly. once the RB gets out near the far numbers (real life) QB's aren't going to fire the ball out to him on a flat route because its an incredibly high risk throw (akward angle plus a lot of people seem to forget a football field is 53 yards wide and the college hashes are significantly wider than NFL).

man-to-man coverage is completely broken. all defensive players do is chase their man. no concept of leverage, cushioning or taking down and distance into account.

i do completely agree that it's as much a pressure issue than anything. i don't know many times i've brought 6 men and play cover 0 only to watch the CPU pick up the blitz with 5 man protection giving the CPU the 4 seconds he needs to complete the pass.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #51
Rookie

trayeight's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tate09
he's definitely more vulnerable to the field but it's not like he actually has to cover the RB all the way to the other sideline.
You are right, he wouldn't have to cover him all the way across, but all the RB needs is enough room to pull away, which if the offense is on the far hash, is more than feasible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #52
MVP

PrettyT11's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
Average RBs don't run 4.4 and average LBS don't run 4.6. Not arguing with your logic, LB's should be able to keep up with RB's to some extent, but they aren't nearly that fast. REAL 40 times are so exaggerated, even by the NFL because of the use of hand-timing, even the combine uses a hand time to start the watch, thus subtracting an average of .14 seconds from their time. The average NFL running back electrically timed in the 40 is around 4.68, while the average LB time is around 4.77, not that much of a difference. The separation is in AGILITY. RB's have much better change of direction skills than their LB counterparts, which makes it an offensive edged mismatch, but LBs don't often get left behind on non-vertical routes.

Maybe a little off-topic, but speed ratings in the game are f'ed up. I don't care what they say the players 40's are, the way the speed ratings affect the game is rediculous. The ratings should be reflected with a bell-shaped curve, not a linear one, like the game uses. For example, a 99 speed rated player in reality should not be twice as fast as 49 rated player. If that 99 rated player runs a hand timed 4.28 40, the 49 rated player doesn't run 8.56 like the game speed represents it, he runs more like 5.5-5.7, a big difference yes, but it shouldn't be as exaggerated.

You are wrong. The NFL combine uses electronic timing. Each run has three times. Two hand times and an electronic time. Thats why the first time they show right after the run is always slower than the official time that is posted. I don't know where you get your numbers from but the average NFL back does not run 4.68. That is horrible. Every starting running back in the league ran in the 4.4's at the combine but Rudi Johnson. Eight of them ran in the 4.3's. So even if I took an extra .1 of the time that puts them all in the 4.4 to 4.5 range. Where do you get this 4.68 stuff??
Old 07-24-2008, 02:55 PM   #53
Rookie

trayeight's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyT11
You are wrong. The NFL combine uses electronic timing. Each run has three times. Two hand times and an electronic time. Thats why the first time they show right after the run is always slower than the official time that is posted. I don't know where you get your numbers from but the average NFL back does not run 4.68. That is horrible. Every starting running back in the league ran in the 4.4's at the combine but Rudi Johnson. Eight of them ran in the 4.3's. So even if I took an extra .1 of the time that puts them all in the 4.4 to 4.5 range. Where do you get this 4.68 stuff??
You are comparing starting NFL running backs with every running back that comes to the combine, which is usually a group between 40-50 backs. The guys that run in the 4.6-4.7 range weight down the average. The average of everyone that ran is in the mid 4.6 range.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:08 PM   #54
Banned

OVR: 8

Football is chess. The game should reflect the strategy. There is nothing, I repeat NOTHING, that is guarenteed in the game of football. Yet in a game such as this, there is. All we ask for is the strategy, the abilty to counter and react strategically.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #55
MVP

PrettyT11's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayeight
You are comparing starting NFL running backs with every running back that comes to the combine, which is usually a group between 40-50 backs. The guys that run in the 4.6-4.7 range weight down the average. The average of everyone that ran is in the mid 4.6 range.
No I am not. I talking about backs in the NFL like he said. Those guys at the combine who run 4.6 don't get drafted and don't play in the NFL. He said the NFL running backs. I didn't include the guys like McFadden, Chris Johnson, Jerrius Norwood and others who run sub 4.4. I justed used the starters as an example to show that 4.68 number is far from accurate. Plus there are never 40 to 50 backs invited to the combine. That number is more like around 20 to 30. Mike Hart ran the slowest time af any back who actually got drafted at 4.67. He went in the sixth round and it is not sure if he makes the team. All RB's picked before him ran in the 4.4's or better except Choice who ran a 4.52. And he went in the 4th round and won't see much to any playing time except special teams if that. So I'm still trying to figure where this 4.68 comes from.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #56
Banned

bigjake62505's Arena

OVR: 22

I dont know if my post was misunderstood I am trying to say that the LB in the game should be able to cover the RB out of the back field. Now if you get into the length of time that the LB has to cover then you get into the speed issue but then you will have help over the top from safetys and such unless there is a breakdown of coverage. The game doesnt reflet this. Its all about persuit angles in the game that are clearly broken.

And to add to the post about the 2 tenths of a second being big in forty yards yes, but reduce that down to the length from the backfield to the flats and make sure you count the angle that a LB has on a RB in man coverage.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »