Home

Safety Zones in Cover 2 Zone

This is a discussion on Safety Zones in Cover 2 Zone within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2008, 09:03 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: Safety Zones in Cover 2 Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
You are correct sir.

In a true Cover 2, the Safeties are not suppose to split that wide for the exact reason you posted.

Deep Posts, and Streaks by the Slot receivers become WIDE OPEN in the middle of the field, especially with the ridiculous speed cheats they implemented this year for guys like Harvin and Maclin.

Yet another in a laundry list of Defensive downgrades to allow 10 year old Little Timmy to slice and dice his opponents to ribbons.
whos that sexy chick in your avatar?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:23 AM   #18
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
Isnt there a feature that lets you tell the safetys to play inside or outside ?
Wont that control how wide they drop ?
No, it doesn't. I said so in the initial post.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #19
Rookie

o 99 PROBL3MS o's Arena

OVR: 7

The safety shift feature is in NCAA 09 and was in NCAA 08 as well but not many user's took advantage of it. They are a big reason I've had success in past defense. If you are using a team with good coverage CB's on the outside, learning safety shifts will have you iin good shape.

If I was as good as rhombic with videos I would gladly demonstration. the safety shift controls are presnap on the right stick. Rhombic if you could make a video for us I'd appreciate it because this is huge IMO. Another good thing about them is that the shifts are shown in the presnap play design also.

If you safety shift "inside" (on Xbox 360 Click Y-button and Click down on the Right Stick) the safeties will go to the hash marks and stop. This works wonders against post routes if the ball is marked in the middle of the field. If you safety shift "outside" (Click Y-button and Click up on the right stick) after the snap the safeties will go out to the numbers and play there.

This is where it gets good. You can also safety shift "left" and "right". Assume your opponent is in the following formation:

x y xxxxxx x
x

If the "y" reciever is running a post route, you want to safety shift "right" and have our best cover CB on the opposite side covering the solo WR. Due to the safety shift, the safety on the side of the "y" reciever will be sitting on the hash and easily can jump the post pattern for the INT. The other safety will go out to the numbers and help over the top of the solo WR. Those with good defensive stic skills can really take advantage of this technique and stop opponents from throwing post routes all game.

There are many other examples of how safety shifts can help pass coverage but I won't bore you with them here. Anyone who is interested in hearing more or possibly even labbing this some can just shoot me a PM.

I have many more examples of

Last edited by o 99 PROBL3MS o; 07-24-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #20
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

I tested it out, Rick, and they don't drop to the hashmarks and stop. They drop to the exact same areas, regardless of what shift you command.

This is for Cover 2 ZONE specifically, not Cover 2 Man.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:04 AM   #21
Rookie

trayeight's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bindel
They programmed the Safeties like that because the Mike LB is supposed to have the Middle Third. However, many people control him manually to stop the short game, thus leaving the middle of the field wide open.

The only reason I run Cover 2 is because I think my opponent is either going to run or throw in the flats. Other than that, I run Cover 3.
PREACH!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 PM   #22
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bindel
They programmed the Safeties like that because the Mike LB is supposed to have the Middle Third. However, many people control him manually to stop the short game, thus leaving the middle of the field wide open.

The only reason I run Cover 2 is because I think my opponent is either going to run or throw in the flats. Other than that, I run Cover 3.

And that's it.
You're talking about Tampa 2, not Cover 2 Zone. The safeties should stay closer to the seams, and squeeze down the outside WRs if they go vertical.

The problem is the safeties don't read the routes of the WRs; they just take a programmed wide drop.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »