Home

NCAA Recruiting Questions - The Details

This is a discussion on NCAA Recruiting Questions - The Details within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
NCAA Recruiting Questions - The Details

So I have two dynastys going right now, one online with friends, another offline and getting deeper into the season and had a few questions I have yet to seen answered (or asked) on the forums.

- Outside of the visited games, do your recruits for that current season care (or are affected) if you win or lose?

- When you have a recruit full bar of interest, is there any reason to pitch things to them, or even call at all?

- During the quick call, there are small and large interests gained, is there any way to see how much of a gain you would get from the call pitches if you make the call yourself?

- I assume there is a greater gain the more complete pitches you make to the recruit, but is there a limit (outside of time) as to how many you CAN do or SHOULD do? (diminishing returns perhaps?)

- If more than 1 team have a full bar of interest, is it random at that point to see who gets that recruit? Follow up to that, if another team is already full on interest and you are almost there, worth it to continue to push the recruit to your school?

Thanks for the help, any other tips would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: NCAA Recruiting Questions - The Details

1) I think they do care about win or lose if contender, tradition is high on the list. I have had season where I lost 3 games and not landed any 5* guys even when I was #1 on their list.
2) Yes always call until they sign. I pitch only what they are most interested in, but I do call and for the most part get the guys.
3) I have yet to use the quick call because I got use to the way it was last year where that was not an option. The key is to find what the player ranks high on his list and hard sell anything that is "most" or "very high". The more "very high" you have the more out the guy will sign with you.
4) Once I find the "most" and "very high" I stop looking because there is only 1 "most and 2 "very high" but if you uncover a "high" then you can hard sell it and if the guy likes what you have to say then it will turn into "very high" on his list. There is not time limit but a guy may sign with another them if you are ranked low on his list.
5) I have never seen two teams close on the interest bar but I have been full and the team below me 3/4ths and they got the guy due to him wanting to play early and I had depth at his position. I say to keep calling a guy until he signs with a team. I never give up on a guy until he signs. I have had guys in this years game give a soft verbal and sign with me because I keep hard selling him on his "most".

My key to recruiting is I look at what I need and where I can add depth and go after the guy I think are the best. I call the guy and start "finding pitch" by what I'm good at and work my way down. I start with the Elite and go down. It helps to have be Elite at one thing and the guy rate that as his "most" important thing. I offer them scholarships early if the fit my plan and go from there. The fast you can move up a guys list and get them in for a visit the better off you are at landing the guy. I fill my needs during the season and in the off-season I fill holes left by guys leaving early or transferring out. The more guys you get the better in my book. If you play as a top 25 team then the more 4&5* guys the better.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

I agree that you basically find the (2) VHigh's and the Most, then proceed from there, but wondering if I complete hard pitches for all (3) in a week, am I getting 3X the interest gain if I were to just complete (1) of them?

I have had a couple of situations already where multiple schools are 100% full in recruit interest, without commits. Only like 7-8 weeks in, so wondering what lies ahead with that situation.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ26PJ
So I have two dynastys going right now, one online with friends, another offline and getting deeper into the season and had a few questions I have yet to seen answered (or asked) on the forums.

- Outside of the visited games, do your recruits for that current season care (or are affected) if you win or lose?
I believe they do, but I couldn't say for sure. One thing that's happening in 09 that typically didn't happen in previous games is that i'm able to get recruits to commit during the season (i've got 4 committed 8 games into my current season with Ole Miss). And typically i'm getting recruits to commit during non-visit weeks so I can only assume that recruits care that you win.

Quote:
- When you have a recruit full bar of interest, is there any reason to pitch things to them, or even call at all?
As somebody above said, I would pitch until they commit. I focus on my school's strengths. Once you find your "Very High" and "most" interests from your recruit focus on other areas and use your sway pitches to try and bring an average or above average interest up. Once you've done all you can do there then mess with the hard sell on the "very high" and "most" interest areas.

Quote:
- During the quick call, there are small and large interests gained, is there any way to see how much of a gain you would get from the call pitches if you make the call yourself?
Personally, I find the quick call to be a fantastic tool. Sometimes you'll call a recruit and he'll eat up alot of your time while he makes up his mind about a single interest. With the quick call you can most times get as much or more out of your time than simply calling them. There have been MANY times where i've called a recruit and he'd take 45 minutes of my precious recruiting hours to tell me that his interest in my school's athletic facilities is only average. With the quick call that doesn't happen. Not to mention that the quick call makes the weekly recruiting far less tedious.

Quote:
- I assume there is a greater gain the more complete pitches you make to the recruit, but is there a limit (outside of time) as to how many you CAN do or SHOULD do? (diminishing returns perhaps?)
Not sure exactly what you mean but, yes, the goal is to make a complete pitch. Here is where, again, I find the quick call to be a great tool in that the time your recruits take to decide if they go for your pitch is greatly reduced. On the down side, you can't control what pitches you're throwing at them. I don't know if it matters how many. I can only assume that the more pitches (such as hard sells) you complete the better it is for your chances of landing that recruit. One thing that really disappoints me about EA is that they don't make any real effort to explain any of this in their brochure-like instruction manuals. You have to find out through trial and error and even then you're still guessing about some things. I've never bought one of the official guides they sell at places like EB or gamestop so maybe that stuff is discussed there but i'm not spending $20 on one of those guide books.

Quote:
- If more than 1 team have a full bar of interest, is it random at that point to see who gets that recruit? Follow up to that, if another team is already full on interest and you are almost there, worth it to continue to push the recruit to your school?
Not exactly sure, but I continue to try with maybe hard sells to push you over the hump. You're already in that far with them you may as well keep winning and keep trying.

Last edited by metallicatz; 07-24-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Banned

srudoff's Arena

OVR: 7

Why create a separate thread when there's a main recruiting thread 4 or 5 posts below yours?
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »