Home

OT:A-11 offense could be the future of football

This is a discussion on OT:A-11 offense could be the future of football within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2008, 09:58 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 30
Re: OT:A-11 offense could be the future of football

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick02
yeh it saying at the end that it will be the norm in 50-100 yrs makes me laugh. Its a creative idea to exploit the rules to make a bad team decent.
In high school, my team played a lot of these goofballs who would try all kinds of stupid offenses. We'd watch film of them scoring 50 points on the worst teams in the state.

We'd usually hold them to 7 points at most. Unless you have superior athletes, this nonsense isn't working.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
We'd usually hold them to 7 points at most. Unless you have superior athletes, this nonsense isn't working.
Exactly. It's how hard you work in the weight room over the summer that pays off in the end.

My Teams: Green Bay Packers, Wisconsin Badgers, Marquette Golden Eagles, Milwaukee Brewers, Virginia Tech Hokies, Texas Longhorns, Houston Texans, Houston Rockets
Old 07-24-2008, 10:14 PM   #11
umd
MVP

umd's Arena

OVR: 16

interesting read. I'm sure some of it will catch on, but gimmick offenses are only effective for so long. Eventually the defense catches up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by umd
interesting read. I'm sure some of it will catch on, but gimmick offenses are only effective for so long. Eventually the defense catches up.
It only works in certain states and only at the HS level. Eventually, the rule exploit will be fixed and the offense will be rendered inusable.

My Teams: Green Bay Packers, Wisconsin Badgers, Marquette Golden Eagles, Milwaukee Brewers, Virginia Tech Hokies, Texas Longhorns, Houston Texans, Houston Rockets
Old 07-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #13
Pro

tarheelguy4736's Arena

OVR: 4

To me, this formation will only work in high school and for some college teams. It could work for the NFL but only as a go to play for desperation. You would have to have a very mobile QB who can roll left and right. As you see in the video, that's mainly what the QB did. If a team that didnt have a mobile QB used this formation, they wouldnt be very successful because the defense would just blitz the heck out of them. And with the QB being back what it looks like to be around 10 yds behind the center, you now have 20 yds to get a first down. Like I said, it would be a good formation with a high octane offense in high school and college, but beyond that it wouldnt be very successful.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelguy4736
To me, this formation will only work in high school and for some college teams. It could work for the NFL but only as a go to play for desperation. You would have to have a very mobile QB who can roll left and right. As you see in the video, that's mainly what the QB did. If a team that didnt have a mobile QB used this formation, they wouldnt be very successful because the defense would just blitz the heck out of them. And with the QB being back what it looks like to be around 10 yds behind the center, you now have 20 yds to get a first down. Like I said, it would be a good formation with a high octane offense in high school and college, but beyond that it wouldnt be very successful.
It doesn't work beyond HS in certain states. In pro, college, and the other states, linemen must wear 50-79 on all plays. The A-11 formation exploits a number rule that on punt formations allows linemen wearing other numbers, confusing the defense as to who is and isn't eligible.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
Texas Tech doesn't use a "goal line" either.
exactly
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghettoshark
It only works in certain states and only at the HS level. Eventually, the rule exploit will be fixed and the offense will be rendered inusable.
Even if it was usable, I don't see how effective it can be.

Fact is, you aren't getting 9 players (since the center and QB are obvious to the defense) who are capable blockers, pass catchers, and runners, so overall the effectiveness of the players is going to be severely lessened. My guess is, since most gimmick offense creators are pansies, the part of the game they decided to sacrifice was the line play.

Second, the defense would have to be really stupid. Given that you can't motion 2 players at once, and if you do, they have to be set for a given time, it's not too difficult to figure out who is and is not eligible.

Combining those 2 points, the offense seems pretty easy to defend, especially if you have a fast team. The running game is nonexistent since the ball carrier is 10-15 yards deep and the "linemen" are most likely receivers, ends, or backs who have no real ability to block a lineman or linebacker. Obviously from a defensive side, you probably won't play a 280 pound DT, but 3 quick players should be more than enough to shut down the run and pressure the QB. From a passing standpoint, you only worry about the players running downfield. Sure, they'll catch you once or twice a game, but I'm not sure that will be worth the times the defense will wreck them. Against a team with 2-3 college caliber LBs, this offense would literally be a feasting frenzy.

None of the plays shown in the clips showed any "strategic advantages". The only big plays were lobs into triple coverage to the tall receiver. Those tend to be more effective when you do it out of the I and he's single covered.

Last edited by Cebby; 07-24-2008 at 10:48 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »