Home

FSU's academics from "Very Good" to "Good" in dynasty

This is a discussion on FSU's academics from "Very Good" to "Good" in dynasty within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2008, 11:06 AM   #17
Rookie

FSU Spear 'Em's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: FSU's academics from "Very Good" to "Good" in dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePebble19
This statement goes way beyond even a college degree. Take my father for example. Did one semester at a CC, and decided it wasn't for him. Got a job doing grunt work at a trucking company, embraced the job, got promoted, and now here 30 years later manages an entire department for a BIG nationwide trucking company. All without a college degree.

I followed suit, and am now 8 years deep into the transportation industry, and am doing very well for myself and my family.

Another great example would be the last company I worked for. Our regional VP started 30 years ago with that company working on the dock. Worked his way up and did pretty much every position on the way up, and now makes over 100k per year.

Hard work goes farther than a degree can any day of the week.
Amen to this. Book smarts only get you so far. Real world experience is what counts.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #18
Rookie

Sheik's Arena

OVR: 3

wow, I had no idea it was hat bad down here, and you should hear how people are complaining about cuts up here in Tennessee.
Always shocks me how people are so shocked when cuts do happen, but always seem to be oblivious to mismanagement that usually leads to governmental cuts. Well, at least I know now that I should reevaluate my desire to go to grad school in Florida. I was looking forward to that.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3g
When I first tried out the online dynasty with Florida State, I noticed that only two changes were made to my school: Academics went from Very Good to Good and Program Stability from Excellent to Elite. I know some people think that it went down because of the academic scandal with the players, but I believe it is for the school overall.

I remained puzzled until I remembered the state wide budget cuts for all the schools like UF, FSU, and USF. UF got the most taken away with $40 mil but they are still considered Excellent for academics even if their ranking went down in US News. Since I graduated in Fall 2007 and the cuts did not happen until Spring 2008, thankfully I got out before things got worse. Even if my last semester, I saw money dwindle for the student organizations where many had to resort to fundraisers.

So I came across a story at http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4239633.shtml which sums it up. Here are some quotes from the article that explain it:

In other words, it sucks being a teacher (who are underpaid anyways) in an economy heading for a recession and where a standard college degree doesn't mean jack.

Of course FSU is willing to pay Jimbo Fisher over $500k who I think is still unproven and spend a boat load of money renovating the scoreboards in Doak. I know there are different budgets but it sucks when the actual students suffer as they overpay coaches.
I feel ya man. Just be glad you have a teaching job. I am in Ohio and have two degrees now... No Social Studies jobs to speak of...ever!
Old 07-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #20
t3g
Rookie

t3g's Arena

OVR: 4

I got mine in English and Film and currently have a job working as a web designer and programmer. It was hard to break into the job scene due to many entry level jobs wanting you to be an administrative assistant or some low paying job. Thankfully I have been working with HTML for around 10 years and PHP for 5-7.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »