Home

WHY Does EVERY Team Run The spread Option??!!???

This is a discussion on WHY Does EVERY Team Run The spread Option??!!??? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #33
Rookie

trayeight's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: WHY Does EVERY Team Run The spread Option??!!???

I'm not seeing this. I might see the computer run the option once or twice a game if they are not an option team, but not all day.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:02 PM   #34
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

I played Ohio State last night, and they basically ran Wells out of the I formation and then used that to setup play action all game long. I didn't see one option run the entire game. I did see a QB draw once.

I am just not seeing it.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I played Ohio State last night, and they basically ran Wells out of the I formation and then used that to setup play action all game long. I didn't see one option run the entire game. I did see a QB draw once.

I am just not seeing it.
Play any team that is shotgun heavy and you'll see it. Heck play Michigan, they have a guy with cement shoes trying to run it 20 times. I hope Dickrod does that in real life.

Wake is a good example too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2008, 04:11 PM   #36
Rookie

trayeight's Arena

OVR: 6

I played Wake last night (I'm Miami), and they did run some option, but not to the point of it being ridiculous. Riley Skinner is a pretty damn good runner; he was kinda ripping me. They ran a lot of screens, short passes, and 1 back.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 2

Yeah, if you want to see this in action, just play against any team that runs a passing-focused spread offense (Purdue, Texas Tech, Hawaii, SMU, Idaho, Rice, etc. etc. etc.) in real life. The real teams get their running yards from draws and traps, and supplement those with "running" yards from screens (both to HBs and WRs) and short routes.

In the game, though, there's no differentiation between a pass-based spread offense and a spread option offense -- all shotgun formations include option and/or QB read plays. And since the CPU playcalling hasn't been improved ever, every team with the plays available will use them. So instead of slinging the ball all over the field, you see Graham Harrell running with the ball six or seven times a game instead. This causes problems even if you're not playing against the teams. I'm in an online dynasty (still in the first season) where CPU-controlled Texas Tech is in a tailspin because Harrell broke his collarbone on a QB keeper. He's out for 11 weeks.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #38
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
Play any team that is shotgun heavy and you'll see it. Heck play Michigan, they have a guy with cement shoes trying to run it 20 times. I hope Dickrod does that in real life.

Wake is a good example too.
That's not what the OP said however and that's what I was disputing. He said play with any team, including USC, which has 1 shotgun formation. I guarantee you if you play against USC they aren't showing you a spread look. And as I said, I played the Bucknuts last night and got a large dosage of power I football.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »