Home

NCAA09 vs. NCAA08

This is a discussion on NCAA09 vs. NCAA08 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
NCAA09 vs. NCAA08

Ciao a tutti--

Last year I played NCAA08 until the hoops season started and I've picked it up again this summer. I've considered picking up NCAA09, but the impressions I've heard about it have steered me from it and kept me playing NCAA08. I'd like to know if some specific things have improved from '08 to '09 however. I'm a sim type of player and I only play legacy mode. I play on All American difficulty.

First, here are the impressions I've heard that have steered me from '09. Are these pretty accurate?

IMPRESSIONS OF '09:
o Offenses (CPU and player) are too effective while defenses are too weak and/or unable to stop the offense from marching down the field. I don't mind shootouts, but I'd take a 13-10 game over a 48-45 game any day. I read a post on here where someone said those that have trouble with defense just suck and that if you start as a DL and JTS and then keep switching players to get the correct angles you'll do fine. I like to see "my" stats on defense so I only play as 1 guy on defense at all times and I never switch. If I let the CPU control 10 of my guys at all times while I only control 1, will I have trouble on defense?

o The game is more "arcadey" now with super juke moves. If this is for the player only, I wouldn't have a problem as I simply wouldn't do the super jukes. Does the CPU spin and twist their way down the field too?

o The run game is difficult and it's extremely difficult to get around the corner when running it wide. I've always been a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" type of guy and if I had my way, I'd run the ball every down. I like the thought of having to be patient and wait for running lanes to appear, but I would also like the ability to take it to the house on occasion. Can a speedy back get around the corner?

o I cannot play without rosters. Are we able to download and use named rosters now without it corrupting legacies?

o The CPU passing percentage is too high. I'm really big on stats and trying to get them to be realistic. Is it possible to get the CPU to complete a realistic percentage of their passes on All American?

WHAT I HOPE HAS IMPROVED FROM '08:

o FUMBLES:
In '08 there are too many fumbles. Are there a realistic number of fumbles in '08?

o INTs:
In '08 there are too many INTs, especially those thrown by the CPU. I don't make USER controlled INTs so all of my picks are by my CPU controlled defenders. I also have the sliders for CPU thrown picks turned way down, but I still get too many. Some games are fine, but there's a lot of games where I'll have half the total offense of my opponent, but I'll win by 3 TDs due to turnovers. Are there fewer CPU thrown picks in '09?

o The CPU has too much trouble running the ball/simply won't run against me. Almost every season I'm in the top 5 in the country in run defense (while usually being in the bottom half in passing defense). Does the CPU choose to run the ball much and if so, can they be effective? Through about 20 seasons, I've probably had less than 10 backs rush for 100+ yards against me without the aid of a 50+ yard run.

o This is minor, but in bowl games in '09 do the end zones have the names of the teams or does it still have the logo for the bowl instead?

o In '08, a loss in a bowl game when you're the "home" team will end your home winning streak. Is this fixed in '09 where you "home winning streak" is only for your home games played at your stadium?

o Is there a decent home field advantage in '09? In '08, usually by the 3rd season, noone has a double digit home winning streak, even though there are several double digit ones at the beginning of '07.

Thanx for all the help.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Re: NCAA09 vs. NCAA08

Rent it. Thats all I can say. I have a major beef with this game although I am currently playing it to test things for when the patch comes out and fixes the slider issue.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

OVR: 67

I like this game and I'm a sim guy but some people don't. I'd say rent it and make an opinion yourself.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
Pro

Andrews85's Arena

OVR: 9

If you're a sim type player then half of that stuff you stated means nothing to you. You can fix stats with sliders and yes you can download the rosters and Ive had no problems with glitches offline. Home field advantage is huge when playing but i dont know about simming. I think its better then 08, but thats my opinion.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
Rent it. Thats all I can say. I have a major beef with this game although I am currently playing it to test things for when the patch comes out and fixes the slider issue.
agree...y not just rent it to see if you will like it

there a ton of bugs but online dynasty (when working) could be one of the better features since Next-Gen came out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46

Seriously NCAA 08 sucked and was a mess. After the slider fix NCAA 09 is a far superior game in my opinion, even with the OL/DL not being fixed. NCAA 08's CPU QB is so stupid. It throws the worst INTs in the world. NCAA 09 has a robo QB on Heisman, and a little on all-pro, but it beats having village idot QB like in NCAA 08. Like everyone said however, rent it, and see for yourself. This is just my personal opinion, and everyone has different tastes and expectations in football games. That is why it is imperative that EA keep working CPU sliders in their football games, even if there is adaptive levels, intelligence, etc.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 13

I actually really loved 08. Had a blast taking six years, turning around Ole Miss, and winning the NC. I felt like ratings (AWR in particular) really mattered.

That said, 09 is better. Way better. Get it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »