Home

Man-to-Man Coverage The Key to Stopping the AI QB in NCAA 09

This is a discussion on Man-to-Man Coverage The Key to Stopping the AI QB in NCAA 09 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2008, 04:52 PM   #25
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Man-to-Man Coverage The Key to Stopping the AI QB in NCAA 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
The only issue I have with this, is that it seems more like a work around, then anything strategic, in order to play reasonable pass defense.

I have a real problem with the idea of having to junk 30-50% of the defensive playbook simply to get this to happen.

I'd rather use a good set of sliders that help create more realistic results, and use all of the defensive plays in my arsenal, rather then play like this.
How is it a work around? Shouldn't you expect the cpu to tear you up if you are playing in a soft zone and they are spreading the field? This is the kind of reasoning I don't get- I honestly think you guys never played football in your lives, let alone understand how defensive sets are called.

In high school our team would play an entire game in man to man if the opposing team was the type that loved to throw the ball around. We had speedy corners and linebackers, so we were able to do this. Looking back on it actually, I'm not sure we ever really relied on a zone heavy scheme- I'm not really sure of any team that really loves to play zone exclusively.

This game forces you to mix up coverages A LOT! You can't play man bump and run all game because they will eventually burn you deep. You can't play simple man all game because they will start running all over you or hit someone deep over the midde. You can't play in a qb spy all day because they will figure out a way to screw the players in the spy. You can't blitz all day because they will patch up the side you are going after (cpu uses slide protect too). Basically you need to mix things up a lot, and confuse the cpu.

The game has issues, but a lot of you are moaning and groaning like you expect everything you have used in past games to work this year. Just because you have been good at playing d in past football video games does not mean what you are doing is correct, or fundamentally sound in actual football. This game has the most realistic defensive recognition ai of any game I've played, and I think it's awesome that the cpu will pick me apart because I overused a zone, or blitzed a cb and got burned.

Again, the game has some issues, but for the most part if you follow this article and understand where it is coming from, you will be ok. I find it req=warding to play defense this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlyGilmore
this is one of the problems IMO. folks have no idea what realistic is and are basing things on what they perceive to be realistic not what really is. Folks are used to playing games for years and getting 5 sacks a game.

Personally I never put a ton of emphasis on getting sacks. Instead i'm more worried about hurrying the QB and making him throw the ball before he wants to - especially against human opponents.

I agree with that 100%. Sacks blow hot and cold like all stats do.

What's important is disruption, disrupting rythm, and dictating to the offense.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #27
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14
How is it a work around? Shouldn't you expect the cpu to tear you up if you are playing in a soft zone and they are spreading the field? This is the kind of reasoning I don't get- I honestly think you guys never played football in your lives, let alone understand how defensive sets are called.

In high school our team would play an entire game in man to man if the opposing team was the type that loved to throw the ball around. We had speedy corners and linebackers, so we were able to do this. Looking back on it actually, I'm not sure we ever really relied on a zone heavy scheme- I'm not really sure of any team that really loves to play zone exclusively.
Haha, that's hilariously wrong. In real life, nobody plays man to man against teams like Texas Tech all game, because you're just asking to get raped on crossing routes, and their 4th WR is probably better than your 4th CB.

Most people defend the spread in real life by playing zone coverage and forcing the offense to work their way down the field. The problem is that on the game, every QB is ridiculously accurate and WRs never drop passes, plus your front 4 gets almost no pressure, so even mediocre offenses can do just that everytime out.

I can tell you that OU probably plays man to man defense less than 1/3 of the time, particularly in conference play when we face spread offenses.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #28
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

The problem with man to man is that the wide receivers will almost always beat their man across the field on short routes. It is really easy to go down the field for 5-10 yard routes underneath vs man to man.

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 08-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #29
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14

This game forces you to mix up coverages A LOT! You can't play man bump and run all game because they will eventually burn you deep. You can't play simple man all game because they will start running all over you or hit someone deep over the midde. You can't play in a qb spy all day because they will figure out a way to screw the players in the spy. You can't blitz all day because they will patch up the side you are going after (cpu uses slide protect too). Basically you need to mix things up a lot, and confuse the cpu.

The game has issues, but a lot of you are moaning and groaning like you expect everything you have used in past games to work this year. Just because you have been good at playing d in past football video games does not mean what you are doing is correct, or fundamentally sound in actual football. This game has the most realistic defensive recognition ai of any game I've played, and I think it's awesome that the cpu will pick me apart because I overused a zone, or blitzed a cb and got burned.

Again, the game has some issues, but for the most part if you follow this article and understand where it is coming from, you will be ok. I find it req=warding to play defense this year.
Doesn't sound like you know much about football in your previous post.....What you just said is way wrong.

Youtube
Old 08-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #30
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
Haha, that's hilariously wrong. In real life, nobody plays man to man against teams like Texas Tech all game, because you're just asking to get raped on crossing routes, and their 4th WR is probably better than your 4th CB.

Most people defend the spread in real life by playing zone coverage and forcing the offense to work their way down the field. The problem is that on the game, every QB is ridiculously accurate and WRs never drop passes, plus your front 4 gets almost no pressure, so even mediocre offenses can do just that everytime out.

I can tell you that OU probably plays man to man defense less than 1/3 of the time, particularly in conference play when we face spread offenses.
Playing zone against a spread offense allows a team to nickle and dime it's way down the field against you. Playing man with fast db's and lb's allows a team to double cover players and keep up with them. The reason most teams play zone against spread offenses is because their defense tires out by running around all day with the WR's.

Maybe if Oklahoma was playing man against Boise they would have won the game? hehe (had to take that shot). Bust seriously, do hook and ladders work if you are playing man?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #31
MVP

capp34's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
No one is bashing, but this is simply a workaround to a issue that should not be there in the first palce. Why do we even have other defensive sets in the game if man is the only thing we should play in?
Strategy is not a work around. If you play the game for what is and not what you want it to be.

I should not have to pay 4.00 dollars for a gallon gas but if I want to get to work everyday I got to.

Kings of the Kourt Commissioner

KOTK Discord - https://discord.gg/Swj5cJe
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #32
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
Doesn't sound like you know much about football in your previous post.....What you just said is way wrong.
It's not way wrong, it's not way right. Everyone has different defensive philosophies. I played free safety through 4 years of high school, and we had a pretty small team that was fast. We relied on man coverage against spread offenses because we were able to cover the receivers and eliminate the threat of a dump off to a running back. This was a successful strategy for us because we didn't get nit picked down the field by teams- we were able to stop the short stuff with our DE's and LB's, and take the deep ball away. So how is that way wrong?

Zone is a great defense to use in certain situations, but if your main concern is a team dinking and dunking down the field with 5 yard dump offs, then the best way to counter that is with man coverage and LB zones to take away the middle of the field.

Again, there is no correct, or incorrect defensive philosophy- it is just what works for a certain team- you have to adapt- and this game makes you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »