Home

Is it possible for the developers of NCAA and Madden to go AGILE?

This is a discussion on Is it possible for the developers of NCAA and Madden to go AGILE? within the NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 08-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Is it possible for the developers of NCAA and Madden to go AGILE?

This is a computer programming question. I assume you guys are still use waterfall development with this game and you bug fix around the end more so. At least that seemed like the case until this year, now you guys seem more agile (iterative development). Is it possible to get a comment if you guys at EA are trying to do this kind of development process.

I hope you guys switch to agile because it seems to eliminate those crappy features no one cares about due to them being irrelevant and you code to what the business deem necessary at the time.

I hope to be buying madden this year (currently my lady has my 360 and I have to buy her a dvd player to get it back... ITS WALMART TIME)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2008, 03:24 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Is it possible for the developers of NCAA and Madden to go AGILE?

agile development, hahahah

i once was told a story to relate it to

a boy once asked his father to teach him how to cook his "famous" chili. so the father agreed, diced up the some onion, some ground meat, some cubed pork, etc. every 30 minutes or so, stirred the chili and tasted it. painstakingly seasoned the chili, just to get it "perfect"

then when everything was ready and done, dad grabbed 2 cans of hormel chili and tossed it into the pot, the boy asked why he went through so much to just do that

father's reply: "you can start with dog**** and if you add enough chili, you'll end up with chili"

agile dev/scrum/etc is the same way
Old 08-06-2008, 04:48 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i don't know what this thread is about and i've read it seven times
Old 08-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lint
This is a computer programming question. I assume you guys are still use waterfall development with this game and you bug fix around the end more so. At least that seemed like the case until this year, now you guys seem more agile (iterative development). Is it possible to get a comment if you guys at EA are trying to do this kind of development process.

I hope you guys switch to agile because it seems to eliminate those crappy features no one cares about due to them being irrelevant and you code to what the business deem necessary at the time.

I hope to be buying madden this year (currently my lady has my 360 and I have to buy her a dvd player to get it back... ITS WALMART TIME)
Why would they change using the "stair step" (waterfall) way of development during mid way of the console's life cycle and mid way through the madden engine itself? I do not see why they would completely change their method or methodologies of the product development thats already inching towards its life cycle end? Im not suggesting the madden engine is old or dated...i feel there is much more room for improvements,etc and the xbox 360 and ps3 still have some years left under its hood but the way i see EA and their development ways over the years.how they start off a new generation is usually how they end that generation with very little change in how they go about development,etc and that they always use that same exact engine and development methodologies through the entire generation of a specific console generation/madden engine generation, its so obvious that your question sorta baffles me.....in other words, once they create their engine for a new generation..we will not see anything new like a brand new engine or ways of development..whats done is done and from this point on after the engine has been made ... nothing but tweaking and adjusting though yearly madden/ncaa updates will be done from this point on....until the next set of consoles come out.. ps4/xbox720, when we'll see another new engine.

Im simply saying that the way they started development cycle with the next gen consoles and next gen madden engine that we can pretty much expect thats how it will be through-out the system's life cycle besides your tweaked engine each year, yearly roster updates,etc I dont see them changing their development approach what so ever half way through the madden engine's life cycle...it would cause more confusion then any good imho.

Its so obvious the Tiburon team has a specific way of developing their madden/ncaa games and is why i mentioned several times in here that a huge Tiburon shakeup with their dev team is badly needed to "REALLY" freshen up the Madden/NCAA Games. Even the character models, animations, and sounds have so much in common with last gen madden engine and this generation of madden engine..so many similarities are so noticible to me and people see this especially someone like me that has some knowledge of videogame development and vidoegame engine's can see this..its so obvious. Look how the character models run up and down the field and how they swing their arms while running.. if you look at last gen madden and ncaa games, its EXACTLY the same this gen as last gen even though the engine's from last gen compared to this gen are totally diffrent..this is proof that Tiburon uses and always have used their same approach at developing their football games. Which to me is sad, because they are too "worried" to touch new grounds and REALLY take a REAL step to improve the game. heck, even the crowd sound's are the same since the year 2000, what year are we in now? I think because of Tiburon Dev Team worrying too much about making the wrong moves in new territory of development is exactly why there are so many similarities between last gen and this gen. If it aint broke, why fix it approach is a poor way at advancing a videogame series into new grounds for REAL improvement and REAL change.

Peace

Last edited by Moegames; 08-06-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
Pro

Andrews85's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsinister11
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Amen dude
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
Rookie

Fluff E Bunny's Arena

OVR: 1

I don't think the patch policies of Live or PSN are conducive to doing iterative development. Nor are EA's well established release date schedules. They want the game released once a year, every year, on or about the same date.

With the iterative dev cycle, you'd have many more iteration points where - theoretically - the game could be put out for release. That would possibly work for PC gaming, but not for console gaming.

What they really need to do is get off the yearly release cycle and go to a two year rotation. In the interim year, you release a DLC update that includes bug fixes, and stuff like alternate uniforms, roster updates, and maybe a few playbook updates. Sell that for maybe $20, I dunno.

But it is a moot point, EA will never give up the yearly cycle.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsinister11
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's about methodologies for developing software...which, honestly, if you don't write software for a living, it wouldn't mean a damn thing to you.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff E Bunny
I don't think the patch policies of Live or PSN are conducive to doing iterative development. Nor are EA's well established release date schedules. They want the game released once a year, every year, on or about the same date.

With the iterative dev cycle, you'd have many more iteration points where - theoretically - the game could be put out for release. That would possibly work for PC gaming, but not for console gaming.

What they really need to do is get off the yearly release cycle and go to a two year rotation. In the interim year, you release a DLC update that includes bug fixes, and stuff like alternate uniforms, roster updates, and maybe a few playbook updates. Sell that for maybe $20, I dunno.

But it is a moot point, EA will never give up the yearly cycle.
I think adopting an agile methodology would do wonders. It would definitely improve the quality because there would be multiple test cycles rather than just throwing it all over the wall to QA at the end. The problem with waterfall is that often times development takes longer than expected and QAs time to test is cut into. They have all these test cases to run and maybe when the project plan was laid out they were going to get, let's say 30 days of testing. But then because of unforseen events, now they only have a week and a half. I sell automated functional and performance testing tools.

At the least they could incorporate Requirements Based Testing into their QA process which is also better by leaps and bound than the traditional method. In many QA environments. the QA people don't even know what they are suppposed to be testing. With RBT, QA gets invloved much earlier. The requirements are shared with them so they know what the test, and can begin developing test cases based on them. You get some traceability because the test cases are tied to the requirement they are associated with. That way you can ensure the requirements are actually being met because there is an assoctaed test case or most times multiple test cases.

P.S. I sell enterprise automated performance testing, functional testing, and test management solutions for a living.
71 carrer INTs (#3 All-Time), 12 ret for TDs (#1 All-Time), 1483 Int Return Yards (#1 All-Time)
Member of NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team (Along with 5 other Steelers)

http://www.nfl.com/history/legends/75th-anniversary

Last edited by BlackNGold; 08-06-2008 at 04:14 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football »