Home

Anybody else getting sick of the computer going for it on fourth down?

This is a discussion on Anybody else getting sick of the computer going for it on fourth down? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2008, 07:30 PM   #9
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Anybody else getting sick of the computer going for it on fourth down?

Not trying to be a smartass, but the "solution" to this problem is to do better on 3rd so that you're not facing a 4th and short in the first place.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 20

^^Did I ever say I had a problem stopping the cpu on 4th down?If anything it is a sure stop most of the time but it still puts a damper on the game being fun. Did I not explain that some of these fourth downs tries occur on 4th and 2 or 3. I was unaware that holding the cpu to 7 yards in 3 plays was bad. The "solution" to the problem would be the developers actually making the CPU playcalling somewhat logical. Kinda of like how the CPU runs qb keepers with slow qb's. Who knows maybe next gen we will have logical CPU playcalling.

Last edited by mgoblue678; 08-07-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #11
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
^^Once again hate to sound like a jerk but this has been a problem reported by alot of people so please don't act like it doesn't exist. I have seen the cpu go for it in their own territory or at about the 50 numerous times in horrible situations too like the one I described above. The worst part is the cpu doesn't seem to ever call an intelligent play on 4th down so it is almost a sure stop.
If you hated to sound like a jerk, you wouldn't. I never said the problem "didn't exist", I explained the reasoning behind my justification... that I had not experienced it. I haven't. I'm not saying you haven't either, I said I hadn't. Get off your damn high horse and chill.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2008, 02:53 AM   #12
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
^^Did I ever say I had a problem stopping the cpu on 4th down?
Did I imply you did?

Quote:
If anything it is a sure stop most of the time but it still puts a damper on the game being fun.
Again, no idea what 4th down has to do with what I posted.

Quote:
Did I not explain that some of these fourth downs tries occur on 4th and 2 or 3.
Yup.

Quote:
I was unaware that holding the cpu to 7 yards in 3 plays was bad.
Look bro, all I'm saying is that there's two ways to look at it. On one hand, the "source" of this problem is that the CPU goes for it a lot on 4th and short near the 50; on the other hand, the source is that you allow a lot of 4th and short situations near the 50. I'm suggesting that if you want to stop being bothered by this, stop allowing 4th and short near the 50. If you want to continue being bothered but this, keep allowing 4th and short near the 50. Get it?
Old 08-08-2008, 02:59 AM   #13
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46

Tonight I was playing against Michigan State and I was Notre Dame. They went for it on 4th down twice around the 50 yard line. They were winning in the 4th quarter on one of the tries. Plus they did a fake punt on another drive. All three of their tries failed, and I stopped them. In fact, the one in the 4th quarter caused them to lose the game since I had a short field.

So yes, I am sick of it even though I stop them about every time. That is why I am so sick of it especially since it causes the CPU to lose to me more times than not. Is this being patched?
Old 08-08-2008, 04:16 AM   #14
Pro

OVR: 6

I dont know what's more absurd the bad ai playcalls which are not realistic or the dont let them have a fourth and short statement earlier in the thread. Both laughable.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:37 AM   #15
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by simgameonly
I dont know what's more absurd the bad ai playcalls which are not realistic or the dont let them have a fourth and short statement earlier in the thread. Both laughable.
It's very simple: if you want it to bother you, blame the AI. If you don't want it to bother you, stop allowing 4th and short near midfield. That is, there's a 1-to-1 correspondence between this "problem" and the amount of times you allow, as a defense, 4th and short at midfield. The less you allow 4th and short from midfield, the less this is a "problem". "Laughable," yeah, I'm totally off-base. Allow 4th and short from midfield five times a game, this is quite an annoyance; allow forth and short from midfield once every third game, the "problem" goes away. Amazing!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #16
MVP

bigjdotcom01's Arena

OVR: 6

The problem here isn't "allowing" the CPU to have fourth and shorts.....the "problem" is the stupid play calling by the CPU.

I was playing a game tonight and was up 17-7 late in the game and the CPU had a fourth and goal from the 9. They still had all of their timeouts left. 99% of the time, they should kick the FG to cut the lead to seven, then either kick an onsides kick or play tough defense.

Of course they go for it and I stop them, effectively ending the game......it is dumb AI moves like this that make this game a lot less enjoyable.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »