Home

Doing my part to extract all available fun

This is a discussion on Doing my part to extract all available fun within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2008, 01:09 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 6
Doing my part to extract all available fun

This post is not meant to give EA a pass on any shortcomings in this game. I hope patch 2 makes the game better, and it is not meant to spark any debate but rather meant to share how I try to extract all the available fun this game has to ofer.

1. Lack of penalties- be happy when you see one, if its a shady call its better than no penalties at all, accept that this area is always gonna be limited due to casual gamers aversion to delays in the game via penalties.
2. House rules- It sucks we have to use them but we do. Use them and get more fun. Dont speed burst on kickoff/punt returns it does help. Limit your hot routes to one receiver per play. Heck limit your hot routes to one play per every 2 downs and never more than one receiver, it does help. Limit your passes to your running backs, its there every time it does not mean we have to use it. I try to stay under 4 throws per game maximum to my halfback, if not its too easy to abuse the AI.
3.Lack of cpu deep ball- Play more man coverage and you will see slightly more deep balls from the AI, they are not gonna throw into cover2/3 as they should not. If you are playing with qb accuracy under 50 you are gonna see less deep balls.
4.Play field position- Although the AI playcalling can be odd fight the urge to try field goals that most college kickers cant hit. Your offense is hard for the AI to stop, this gives them more possessions and is probably the more realistic play except for the best college kickers. Turn field goal power down, default is absurd.
5.When the Ai goes for it when they should not, consider the alternative which is they never go for it. When they fake punt and its questionable its better than them never fake punting.
6.Find some sliders and stick to them, and above all else with sliders err on the side of too much. Particuliarly one that comes to mind is the running sliders. I have some really big games rushing the ball, but I also can give up some big games to the AI rushing. I will take this all day as opposed to the running game being nuetered. A higher stat line is better than a lack of a fundamental component of the game.
7.Dont pick a dominant team, scratching out victories is lots more fun.

I have given hope for a sim, and am just doing my best and having some fun.

Above all else I love college football, and pass rush or no pass rush issue, my love for the game prevails.

If you have tips for extracting the most fun please reply
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2008, 01:17 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Doing my part to extract all available fun

I'll add two house rules that have helped me enjoy the game more.

1. If you know there is a AI team that you are about to play, and their QB is not a scrambler QB - but ends up throwing down the option every other play - go into the Coaching Strategy and change the playbook to west-coast or change the run/pass in favor of pass.

2. Anytime you pick off the ball, let go of the direction and let the CPU take over - this has virtually removed pick 6's for me, but they still happen as they should.

3. No MANUAL WR Catch. Throw the ball, let go of the directions and let the CPU take control and let them catch the ball then run after the catch, I have seen some really cool animations when I let the CPU take control.

I need more atmosphere in this game - better commentating, it's not terrible like Madden08 - but it is quite repetitive. I need more emotion like 2k commentators.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:22 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10

1. If you know there is a AI team that you are about to play, and their QB is not a scrambler QB - but ends up throwing down the option every other play - go into the Coaching Strategy and change the playbook to west-coast or change the run/pass in favor of pass.

2. Anytime you pick off the ball, let go of the direction and let the CPU take over - this has virtually removed pick 6's for me, but they still happen as they should.

3. No MANUAL WR Catch. Throw the ball, let go of the directions and let the CPU take control and let them catch the ball then run after the catch, I have seen some really cool animations when I let the CPU take control.

I need more atmosphere in this game - better commentating, it's not terrible like Madden08 - but it is quite repetitive. I need more emotion like 2k commentators.

On number 1 you can only change that in dynasty mode correct? On number 2 I am only getting like 1 pick a game, not many pick sixes, but I will try that. Number 3 I will try also, thank you.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:18 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10

Wow are you even playing the game at all?????
Old 08-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

I have started to only control the QB on offense and the FS on defense (no switching) - everything else is letting the CPU take over. I think this is my own way of letting the ratings play out the way they should. Every game has been a blast since doing this.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »