Home

Give me my defense back EA.

This is a discussion on Give me my defense back EA. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #73
stewaat

OVR:
Re: Give me my defense back EA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas8099
You should really spend some more time playing video games, getting out of the house, reading a book, anything to give you a little peace of mind. You've got a little too much time and anger on your hands.
Wow you can tell how somebody's life is by reading their post!

This guy is amazing!

AA I completely agree. I understand that you're just frustrated the only game you care about has turned into a game which is meant to appeal to the casual crowd. It would be nice to see a mix of sim/casual features but lately that hasn't been the case.

It would be nice to have working sliders to at least modify the game to our liking. It sucks when that isn't even possible.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #74
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer101er
I still say 75% of the problems on defense are caused by the disastrous pursuit angles, but yes, I agree with you.

It seems like Tiburon deliberately sabotaged defensive play to emphasize the wide-open gameplay.
EXACTLY!!! I feel like I have no control over my defense whatsoever and no matter what I do or which team I use, they still all play the same.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #75
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebo2246
I can not believe how the issues of the defense were just missed by anybody testing this game.
These things were not "missed" by the testers. I've been saying this for awhile. This game is programmed EXACTLY how EA wanted it to be programmed. If not then, the question is what came first, the idea for "Wide Open Gameplay" or the bad programming.

I think it's possible that they screwed up the programming so bad that they decided hey, let's just go with "Wide Open Gameplay".

Everyone wants to call the problems with this game bugs. They're not bugs when someone purposely programs the game this way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #76
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
See that's the thing. The combination of "minor gameplay issues" leads up to some pretty major ones.

I do believe most of what we have been discussing was blatantly programmed in.

It probably went something like this...
[EA Boardroom. A number of guys in matching EA Polo Shirts sit at a large table]

EA Developer 1: "Ok boys, here's our gimmick this year. WIDE OPEN GAMEPLAY!!"
(round of applause)

EA Developer 1: "Thank you, thank you. So! How do we accomplish this?"

EA Developer 2: "Well, we can jack up the speed ratings for players. So like, Percy Harvin can not just be slightly faster at 98 speed, he can be like twice as fast as a 90 speed corner. That way, he can pretty much score at will!"

EA Developer 1: "I like it. I like it! Good thinking."

EA Developer 3: "We can also make the DBs less agressive. If we reprogram them to only go after a Wide Receiver after he catches a pass, we can give guys more chances of breaking off big gains after the catch."

EA Developer 1: "Yeah. That way, a big time Wide Receiver can really put a whoopin' on a defense! Great! What else?"

EA Developer 2: "Well, we can make QBs more accurate. We can also make them immune to pressure. That way, if you are fixing to get sacked, you can still make a great highlight pass to your wide receiver downfield."

EA Developer 1: "Yeah, that brings up another issue guys. We had a lot of problems with folks blitzing too much last year. Aggressive defense could really put a damper on our theme this year. What can we do to stop this and give the offense that WIDE OPEN GAMEPLAY we want?"

EA Developer 2: "Here are a couple of ideas sir. One, we make the Offensive lines block very very well. In fact, we could have the defensive linemen get knocked down. That should give the Offense plenty of time to find their open receivers."

EA Developer 1: "What about the LBs or Corners?"

EA Developer 2: "Well sir, we could slow them down a bit after the snap. We could also have them back off the line a few yards on a blitz. That way, the combination of their being slower and being a little further off the line of scrimmage should negate the blitz pretty well."

EA Developer 3: "Yeah, and combined with our improved QB passing accuracy, as well as speeding up the WRs, plus O lines that block great each play, we should be able to get a lot of offensive fireworks in a game."

EA Developer 1: "Brilliant guys! Just great. How about adding some new animations while we are at it?"

EA Developer 2: "Oh I know! We can make the defenders stumble and fall trying to tackle guys. That would look really cool and it would help let RBs and WRs break off long touchdown runs."

EA Developer 1: "Well this sounds great guys. Make sure to dumb down the Defensive AI in the secondary. I don't want to see Corners breaking on the ball at all. That wouldn't be good for the offense."

EA Developer 2: "No sir!"

EA Developer 3: "We'll make sure the offense is high powered."

EA Developer 1: "Well this should work guys. With those minor tweaks it should all equal out to some really exciting, high scoring games for our customers. Great...well we'll go get started with our WIDE OPEN GAMEPLAY advertising. Excellent work guys. Let's make it happen!"

(more applause.)

I would guess it went something like that.

Lots of "little" defensive dumbdowns, plus lots of "little" offensive increases such as speed bonuses, super blocking O linemen, and Robo QBs = One very large slant towards the offense and wide open gameplay. Mission accomplished.

Now,

That's all fine and good.

But...all I'm saying is, with effective and DETAILED (see "more than 5") sliders per offense/defense/special teams, the sim community could "reprogram" the game to their own tastes by decreasing the speed factor, decreasing the insane pass blocking, increasing Defensive line effectiveness, and increasing DBs ability to both cover and tackle.
Dude, you are freaking NUTS! I love it! The line about the Polo shirts is hilarious.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #77
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

In all seriousness though,

I really do think this game and all future installments of the series could be stellar and appeal to a mass audience with a highly detailed and powerful slider set.

Have the default be more of the "casual arcady" setting. Then allow the individuals to adjust accordingly.

That way, even if you are in an online league, as long as you can import your slider settings online, you can have that "sim" experience that you are looking for.

Some examples of a new revamped slider set could be....

OFFENSE

QB Accuracy
QB Arm Strength
QB Aggressiveness (how often he throws into coverage, goes deep, takes chances, etc.)
QB Field Vision (determines how well the QB reads coverages, blitzes, etc.)

RB Speed
RB Power Moves
RB Agility Moves
RB Field Vision (How well he sees the hole, blocking ability, etc.)

WR Route Running
WR Speed
WR Catch Ability
WR Agility (how well he does after the catch)

OL Pass Block
OL Run Block

DEFENSE

DL Pass Rush (this could be a combination of agility, power moves plus break block)
DL Tackling
DL Play Recognition (how well the DL adjusts to draw plays, screens, play action, etc.)
DL Pursuit
DL Speed

LB Pass Rush
LB Tackling
LB Play Recognition
LB Speed
LB Catching (if you feel too many or too few INTs are made by LBs)
LB Pursuit

DB Speed
DB Play Recognition
DB Pursuit
DB Recovery (How well they recover from a Play Action fake, etc.)
DB Interception
DB Knockdowns
DB Tackling

If we had something this indepth, and sliders that were very potent from just a few clicks to the left or right, then we could really create an incredible sim experience in the same disc as that little 12 year old kid who also can create an experience for him to score 8 touchdowns a game and win 92-3.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #78
Pro

acarrero's Arena

OVR: 10

Fix the sliders and I'm good. Those who aren't very good at defense will continue to complain about the "wide open" gameplay. Gameplay in video games has always been wide open. Percy Harvin was more unstoppable in last year's game. I don't know what the problem is. If anyone wants to play me online I'll show you how I play D. I'll use the "lowly" Rice Owls, and I will stop your BCS team's offense. CUERO78
Old 08-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #79
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

OVR: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
In all seriousness though,

I really do think this game and all future installments of the series could be stellar and appeal to a mass audience with a highly detailed and powerful slider set.

Have the default be more of the "casual arcady" setting. Then allow the individuals to adjust accordingly.

That way, even if you are in an online league, as long as you can import your slider settings online, you can have that "sim" experience that you are looking for.

Some examples of a new revamped slider set could be....

OFFENSE

QB Accuracy
QB Arm Strength
QB Aggressiveness (how often he throws into coverage, goes deep, takes chances, etc.)
QB Field Vision (determines how well the QB reads coverages, blitzes, etc.)

RB Speed
RB Power Moves
RB Agility Moves
RB Field Vision (How well he sees the hole, blocking ability, etc.)

WR Route Running
WR Speed
WR Catch Ability
WR Agility (how well he does after the catch)

OL Pass Block
OL Run Block

DEFENSE

DL Pass Rush (this could be a combination of agility, power moves plus break block)
DL Tackling
DL Play Recognition (how well the DL adjusts to draw plays, screens, play action, etc.)
DL Pursuit
DL Speed

LB Pass Rush
LB Tackling
LB Play Recognition
LB Speed
LB Catching (if you feel too many or too few INTs are made by LBs)
LB Pursuit

DB Speed
DB Play Recognition
DB Pursuit
DB Recovery (How well they recover from a Play Action fake, etc.)
DB Interception
DB Knockdowns
DB Tackling

If we had something this indepth, and sliders that were very potent from just a few clicks to the left or right, then we could really create an incredible sim experience in the same disc as that little 12 year old kid who also can create an experience for him to score 8 touchdowns a game and win 92-3.
That would be freaking awesome. And if we had team sliders like choops like Blitz frequency, RB1/RB2 sliders that worked and run/pass, agression sliders outside of dynasty mode and have instead of depth charts, a rotation system with situationals similar to the one in nba2k8 and choops that would be awesome.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #80
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

AA, I know that you are an line guy. I will say that in the limited time that i have spent with Madden. They improved it. I played with the skins against the Texans. Mario Williams was a menace when I went to throw the ball in 3rd and long situations. He spent a good part of the game in my backfield. Dominant DL in madden are just that dominant. For what it's worth. I also really like your idea of QB aggressiveness. Pitch that hard to EA.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »