Home

A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010

This is a discussion on A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #33
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

OVR: 67
Re: A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin
And how effective playaction works should be directly linked to how well you are running the ball that game. Im sick of having a defence bite on a PA pass in the 4th quater when the team has 50 yards rushing on 20 carries.
That would really be sick.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
I know it's more of a spread option play and has no business in many of the playbooks in the game but before they start marginalizing these plays, more than anything I'd like to see them make it so the AI can actually run these plays effectively. Hell, it's tough enough execute these plays as the human player. Last year Jonathan Stewart ran for over 1,700 yards on these plays, there is no way I could achieve that with any back in the game in a dynasty season.
you mean that you want them to take the time to BALANCE the game and test each play out and balance it? LOL, wishful thinking as I am pretty sure they don't even test every play. Hence the 3-3-5 defense where the SS's are swapping short flat coverages because they are backwards. I am 99% sure that they do not test much at all in this game before shipping.

balancing and increase in AI would be very hard to do IMO and don't lead to anything you can put on the back of the box and therefore will never be done. how would they advertise this feature/hard work if they were to do it? "This year we actually play tested the game and made the play calling make sense. No more CPU calling plays based off of pure randomness or your play call." - not exactly a positive message for most although we who are IN THE KNOW would be ecstatic but then again we are going to run out and buy this regardless.

Just imagine if they did spend the whole year on BALANCING the game and CPU AI in general and put a COACH on the cover next year and it was all about AI and strategy. A few of us would be so pumped it would be ridiculous but little Timmy who is 8 and does not no crap about football would probably be less excited.

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 08-24-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:37 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 18

I think "Re-Vamped Artifical Intelligence", sounds great for a back of the box feature.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2008, 06:37 PM   #36
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

Maybe they could make the Coach Sliders more in depth to allow us to tailor each team to their true life traits.

Something like...

-Aggressiveness on 4th down (punt/go for it)
-Tailback Runs vs QB Runs
-Short passing frequency
-Medium passing frequency
-Deep passing frequency
Old 08-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #37
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

OVR: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Maybe they could make the Coach Sliders more in depth to allow us to tailor each team to their true life traits.

Something like...

-Aggressiveness on 4th down (punt/go for it)
-Tailback Runs vs QB Runs
-Short passing frequency
-Medium passing frequency
-Deep passing frequency
And same thing for defense. Blitzing, bump and run and the like. And biggest of all, having all of these be outside of dynasty mode. So that you could set it once and be done.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:00 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
little Timmy who is 8 and does not no crap about football would probably be less excited.

Thank god for online dyansty. Thats what I keep saying to myself over and over

Since the majority of the online population are 8 yr old little Timmys or 20 something year old and over little Timmys, this is literally a game saving feature in so many ways.

I have this wonderful feeling we are going to see James Laurinaitis is going to be slapped on the cover of NCAA 2010, and we are going to be greated to a turbo charged hitstick...

Last edited by sportyguyfl31; 08-24-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:48 PM   #39
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Maybe they could make the Coach Sliders more in depth to allow us to tailor each team to their true life traits...
This... As well as:

1. AI that played to the team's strength, getting the ball into the playmaker's hands on offense... And doing it's best to shut down the other team's studs while on defense.

2. This would be a little more tricky... But, have that coaches traits change based upon the recruits he brought in. For example, Ty Willingham centering his offense around Jake Locker.

THESE THINGS SHOULD BE IN GAMES THIS GENERATION!!!!

I'm tired of seeing little to no attempts at actually improving the AI in games... Not just sports games either.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:57 PM   #40
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi
This... As well as:

1. AI that played to the team's strength, getting the ball into the playmaker's hands on offense... And doing it's best to shut down the other team's studs while on defense.

2. This would be a little more tricky... But, have that coaches traits change based upon the recruits he brought in. For example, Ty Willingham centering his offense around Jake Locker.

THESE THINGS SHOULD BE IN GAMES THIS GENERATION!!!!

I'm tired of seeing little to no attempts at actually improving the AI in games... Not just sports games either.
The only team I have seen play this way in 09 is Florida. They use Harvin out of the backfield, on end arounds, and through the air. Other than UF, I haven't seen anyone utilize their playmakers in 09 this way when controlled by the CPU.

They also utilize Tebow how he should be used. The problem is...apparently a 56 speed QB from Akron will play the exact same way as 99 rated Tebow, running QB choice plays like they are going out of style, etc. There should be a distinct "flavor" for each team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »