Home

A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010

This is a discussion on A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2008, 08:09 PM   #41
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

OVR: 67
Re: A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
The only team I have seen play this way in 09 is Florida. They use Harvin out of the backfield, on end arounds, and through the air. Other than UF, I haven't seen anyone utilize their playmakers in 09 this way when controlled by the CPU.

They also utilize Tebow how he should be used. The problem is...apparently a 56 speed QB from Akron will play the exact same way as 99 rated Tebow, running QB choice plays like they are going out of style, etc. There should be a distinct "flavor" for each team.
They actually do have a couple more teams that do that. Illinois uses benn in the backfield in the game and so does Missouri with maclin. Also sometimes Preston Parker with FSU.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2008, 08:21 PM   #42
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
The only team I have seen play this way in 09 is Florida. They use Harvin out of the backfield, on end arounds, and through the air. Other than UF, I haven't seen anyone utilize their playmakers in 09 this way when controlled by the CPU.
that seems to be pretty common with teams with big time WRs.

in my UTEP offline dynasty, going against Rice, they used Jarett Dillard everywhere, at HB, FB, WR, TE, etc... the 2nd season, i scheduled a game against Texas Tech, and they used Crabtree the same way. Missouri with Jeremy Maclin as well.

but they used them the exact same way, and not really how they are used in real life. Crabtree at HB in a goal line formation? umm, no. maybe on a WR reverse or something. although he could be used as a QB, but i serisously doubt Leech would do that, unless all the QBs that are dressed for the game got injured.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Old 08-25-2008, 12:09 AM   #43
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

It's so exasperating thinking about how far the game needs to go regarding improving the AI. Even if they start to fix things next year it will still have several years to go before it gets anywhere near what was expected out of a next-gen sports game. We should have seen profound AI improvements in the beginning of next-gen but it didn't happen.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:18 AM   #44
Rookie

mAiLmAn 502's Arena

OVR: 6

i just blew arkansas out like 40-10, QB Casey Dick attempted 18 passes, 13-18, 144, 1-1. He also had 16 Rushing attempts for a grand total of 14 yards, including probably 3, 3rd down carries......WTF!?!?!?!?!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #45
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
It's so exasperating thinking about how far the game needs to go regarding improving the AI. Even if they start to fix things next year it will still have several years to go before it gets anywhere near what was expected out of a next-gen sports game. We should have seen profound AI improvements in the beginning of next-gen but it didn't happen.
Agreed. The AI needs a complete overhaul as do the physics of the players. The players literally have no weight to them. Sliding, warping, strafing, etc. It's a joke. I just don't think they'll ever put a true effort into making this game what it could be because they share resources with the Madden team and that's just more important. 09 was just a half as*ed effort with aesthetic changes only to mask the incredibly stupid AI and gameplay.

Need a back of the box slogan for next year EA? Call the people at EA Canada and just put your phone on mute and listen. The back of the box feature that FIFA is touting this year? "Over 250 gameplay improvements". Guess what, there in there because I've played a pre beta version of the game already and saw it. Step it up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #46
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:

They also utilize Tebow how he should be used. The problem is...apparently a 56 speed QB from Akron will play the exact same way as 99 rated Tebow, running QB choice plays like they are going out of style, etc. There should be a distinct "flavor" for each team.

I just played a game against Baylor in my offline UCONN Dynasty.

Baylor kept on running options out of the shotgun that the QB had no chance on.

I know Baylor does stink and all, but at least have them run plays based on who they have on the roster. It was something like 35-10 at one point and they still kept doing it.....they called several QB, motion Wr option/choice plays on 3rd down and 5-8 yard situations.

Early in the game, before it morphed into a blow out, it was 17-7 me, they had 4th and goal from the 3..and rather then put points on the board, they come out and run a play that didnt have chance.

Its horrible. No coach in his right mind would take that risk early in the 1st quarter. They'd take their points, keep it a 1 posession game and get out of there.

I often feel like the CPU blows itself out, as opposed to me doing anything great.

Even with sliders favoring the CPU, there is no in between. It's either a 1 or 2 posession game throughout the entire game, or the CPU self destructs.

Last edited by sportyguyfl31; 08-25-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 1

not only would I like to see better play calling by the CPU, but I would also like to go into the dynasty and personally pick the different formations and plays I'd like the team to run out of the playbook, not just what they "run" but something more. Not the "west coast" or "spread" I'd like to see the ability to pick the variety. I think that would be amazing. I wouldn't like the idea of NCAA Head Coach, but I don't think it'd be that bad of a game. For those of us that enjoy play calling it would be fun, and having to deal with the pressure of going into a big rivalry game IE LSU @ Florida and having to keep the composure of your team intact. You won't find better competition and rivalry in the NFL!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:33 AM   #48
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
Agreed. The AI needs a complete overhaul as do the physics of the players. The players literally have no weight to them. Sliding, warping, strafing, etc. It's a joke. I just don't think they'll ever put a true effort into making this game what it could be because they share resources with the Madden team and that's just more important. 09 was just a half as*ed effort with aesthetic changes only to mask the incredibly stupid AI and gameplay.
None at all. A slight touch in the stick and your defensive player/WR will fly across the field.

I agree 100%. Other than better graphics/online dynasty Next-Gen has been a huge letdown.

Not that AI playcalling was fantastic on '08 but I don't remember it being this bad. The QB Choice play has been discussed enough already but we're in YR3 of next-gen and AI is digressing. The lack of good CPU AI leads to the majority of teams playing the same.

What confuses me is that the CPU will effectively utilize Clemson's 2 best players (Spiller & Davis) by lining Spiller up in the slot on certain plays and in a dual HB Shotgun set together with Davis but it won't realize that a QB Choice with Cullen Harper is a bad play 99% of the time???

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »