Home

A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010

This is a discussion on A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2008, 12:50 AM   #57
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewaat
By the way how depressing is this thread?
I realize you may just be speaking tongue in cheek...

But dependency only gives them more strength.

You very well may be right where they want you to be.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:59 AM   #58
MVP

OVR: 20

Bump. Developers need to see this thread.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers
Old 08-28-2008, 04:53 AM   #59
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

I'm also wondering why the CPU will not go after Punts that go behind the 10 yard line...and yet the programmers made it so that Human controlled Punt Returners ALWAYS field punts behind the 10 yard line..or even in the endzone. This was NOT in 08. Why the change?

I just had another great game by the way....on VARSITY....with UNC against Navy. Why? Well, because the CPU called a good game, didn't go for stupid 4th and 8s on their own 40 yard line, didn't attempt 57 yard field goals, and didn't run QB Choice plays on 3rd and 8. And again...this isn't consistent. 2 games out of 10, the CPU will play fairly smart. 8 times out of 10 the CPU plays like they have money bet on the human opponent to win by 50.

I won 31-21. I'll say it again...CPU playcalling and Line play need to be THE major points of improvement for us to see any noticeable "leap" in NCAA 2010.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #60
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

Well, I've officially joined the camp of those who think CPU playcalling ruins the offline experience. They simply have not been programmed to include any kind of real-time strategy.

Last night I was looking at some things, and without getting into too much detail, what I found was that the CPU seems to be in "must score right now" mode 100% of the game: there is no "feeling out" process, there is no "finding what works and sticking with it." They just turn on the gas and go from the first play, and don't turn it off until there's less than 3:00 to go in the game.

I was seeing some really cool things out of the CPU running attack, for example, but even when setting the sliders such that they cripple the passing game and give every advantage to the running game, the CPU will still throw and throw and throw.

At one point I saw the CPU call six straight passing plays with a 20-17 lead with under 5:00 to go in the fourth. And - no, I'm not making this up - they eventually threw a redzone INT. Again, we're talking this with RBA and run-block at 100; tackle, BB, and AWR at zero: all they have to do is run the ball and they're more than likely in the endzone for a 27-17 lead with less than 2:00 to play, but they're throwing. And throwing.

And throwing.

In another test game I watched as USC took a 59-3 lead over Oregon with still more than 3:00 to go in the third quarter. I was DYING to see USC pull their starters and start to grind the rest of the game out on the ground, killing clock, and being bone-headedly stubborn about it. Of course, it never happened. USC called the rest of the game in exactly the same manner as they did to take the 59-3 lead in the first place. While that did include a modest amount of running, the fact remained that they were oblivious to the score.

Seems to me, at the end of the day, a 59-3 lead for the CPU with 3:00 to go in the third yields the exact same playcalling as does a circumstance where the CPU is trailing by two scores with 6:00 to go in the fourth.

That's unacceptable, and it ruins the offline experience.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #61
stewaat

OVR:

Undefeated you nailed it, there is no score awareness whatsoever. It's even worse when they should throw a hail mary and proceed to throw a 15 yard slant with 30 yards to go as time expires.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #62
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
Well, I've officially joined the camp of those who think CPU playcalling ruins the offline experience. They simply have not been programmed to include any kind of real-time strategy.
Exactly! The AI lacks any situational awareness. The AI is set to call a game in a paricular manner and does so from start to finish. Also, The AI calls a game with no regard for the team it is controlling or the statistical success that team has had during a season.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #63
MVP

OVR: 18

This thread must not get lost. I know enough people feel the A.I. can be improved. Lets continue to list A.I. areas that need improvement and further ideas already listed.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #64
Rookie

OVR: 2

This game has almost become unplayable for me. It's too hard to get the CPU to be competitive. Their play calling literally makes no sense to me. The AI has no concept of anything that's going on on the field 100% of the time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »