Home

A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010

This is a discussion on A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2008, 09:56 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: A plea to drastically improve CPU Playcalling in 2010

While another example. I was just playing against Wisky and was up by 3 with less than a minute left. The CPU was on offense and wasn't even running a no huddle or calling timeouts even though they had 3. I decided to call timeouts to make sure the clock didn't run out on the CPU even though I stopped them anyway.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2008, 09:14 AM   #66
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36

Here's a good one. I was using Florida St. playing on the road at Tennessee last night. I'm leading them 20-19 with about 45 seconds remaining and they have the ball on their own 30 yard line with 2 timeouts left. After completing a 12 yard pass on the sideline, instead of getting out of bounds or calling a timeout they go to the no huddle offense. By the time they get their audible called and snap the ball there are about 25 seconds left. Guess what play they audibled to? Yep, the good ol' option. I crushed the QB for a loss of 5 and then they called a timeout with 15 seconds left. Now they have the ball on their own 37 with 1 timeout remaining down by 1. They come out and throw a HB Screen that gets them about 5 or 6 yards and call their last timeout with 8 seconds left. Now they only have 2 options. They can either try for something near the sidelines about 20 yards downfield and hope they get it and get out of bounds before the clock expires so they can try a long FG, or they can chuck one deep toward the endzone and hope for the miraculous catch. I'm in my prevent defense just in case they go for the Hail Mary. The ball is snapped and the QB lofts about a 10 yarder to the TE right in the center of the field.......game, set, match. Nice playcalling!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #67
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni

Things like this. I know its possible...because like others...I've had those "magic games" in NCAA. That 1 game out of 10 where you truly have a classic...which is normally a direct result of the CPU actually playing smart for a change.
You know whats funny? Thinking back on NCAA 04, I had those magic games literally every game!!! Even several weeks ago, I popped the game in and got beat b/c I played poorly and the CPU fairly took advantage and just beat me.

On this game, I've had OT games and close games, but maybe only one of those did I actually feel like I would lose. I'm just so accustomed this year to the CPU doign something stupid in a close game and blowing it for themselves.

Furthermore, it feels like my game has regressed somewhat after the patch. The first dfay I had the patch, the CPU was throwing deep passes on me, completing them. My defense played like is had half a brain....and now a couple weeks later, I'm not seeing any of this anymore. I saw several deep passes day 1 of the patch and NONE since then. Weird.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #68
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Pretty much agree with everything thats been said.

EA won't address this, but they have bungled the logic in their football games. Throw in NCAA 2007 on the PS2 and see what happens when the AI is down by 4 with the ball on the 50 with 1 second left. They are throwing a hail mary and you are praying that some crazy tip doesn't happen in the endzone.

The logic in this game is screwed. That along with the QB cement shoe option play, ruins the game. It could have been so much better.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #69
All Star

crques's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
That along with the QB cement shoe option play, ruins the game.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #70
All Star

crques's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
You know whats funny? Thinking back on NCAA 04, I had those magic games literally every game!!! Even several weeks ago, I popped the game in and got beat b/c I played poorly and the CPU fairly took advantage and just beat me.

On this game, I've had OT games and close games, but maybe only one of those did I actually feel like I would lose. I'm just so accustomed this year to the CPU doign something stupid in a close game and blowing it for themselves.

Furthermore, it feels like my game has regressed somewhat after the patch. The first dfay I had the patch, the CPU was throwing deep passes on me, completing them. My defense played like is had half a brain....and now a couple weeks later, I'm not seeing any of this anymore. I saw several deep passes day 1 of the patch and NONE since then. Weird.

I agree with everything you're saying. I saw deep balls the first 2 days after the patch but haven't seen one yet. It doesn't make sense. The first 5 or 6 games that I played, post-patch, I really felt like the game had improved tremendously and that I could finally stop playing the PS2 version and enjoy the PS3 one. With each game I play I'm becoming increasingly more frustrated and ready to go back to the PS2 version. I keep telling myself that it's just that one particular game and the next one I play will be better but they aren't getting any better, but seemingly worse. I hate to say it but I think I will be going back to the PS2 version very soon.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #71
MVP

OVR: 18

This thread is to important to get lost in the shuffle of repeat threads. Playcalling for the A.I. is more important than ever with OD and OFFLine dynasties. This is major.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #72
stewaat

OVR:

As well as the complete AI code.

Having the CPU not run straight up the field is crazy.
Having the CPU juke when they have no reason to juke is crazy.
Having the CPU defenders take TERRIBLE pursuit angles is a joke.

There are many, many more.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »