Home

When can we expect Spectator Mode for online play?

This is a discussion on When can we expect Spectator Mode for online play? within the NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 08-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
Dungeoneer

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: When can we expect Spectator Mode for online play?

Online spectator mode seems to me like the next logical online feature to add, particularly with online dynasty.

If an online spectator mode is out of the question, an online gametracker (a la something you'd find on NFL.com) would be nice.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #10
stewaat

OVR:

Just give us gametracker. That would be awesome. It doesn't even have to be pretty...just let us watch a play by play summary. I'm a loser and would do it!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 3

it's not necessarily a gametracker but as is now you can "watch" the game being played by bringing up the player in xbox live and it will tell you the score update (within I'd say about 20-30 seconds) live as the player plays.

it won't tell you the plays or where the ball is but at least you can see the score live
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2008, 02:58 AM   #12
Rookie

oChaos_Nine's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardgamecock
which part did he address? the spectator mode or the in-game auto quick-save feature?

if spectator mode is too costly, then surely a "gametracker" feature could be implemented for a fraction of the cost & time.

with all the disconnects and game freezes which cause user vs. user online dynasty games to have to be replayed, they are going to have to do something....IMO, some type of save or game recovery system needs to be put in place.
And you think being able to spectate is a good idea? With all the lag and disconnects we have now the last thing we need is to make it worse.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oChaos_Nine
And you think being able to spectate is a good idea? With all the lag and disconnects we have now the last thing we need is to make it worse.

well, read my post again and i think you'll see: if spectator mode can't/won't work, then gametracker would be fine.

i agree that the disconnects are horrible, but i haven't had too much of a problem with lag (perhaps i've just been lucky).
Old 08-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmnm247
it's not necessarily a gametracker but as is now you can "watch" the game being played by bringing up the player in xbox live and it will tell you the score update (within I'd say about 20-30 seconds) live as the player plays.

it won't tell you the plays or where the ball is but at least you can see the score live

yeah, but they've got to add more. you can't tell what's going on other than the score.

that's just not enough if you've got a big online dynasty game you're trying to keep up with.

gametracker seems to be a simple, easy, and very welcome addition....i hope EA is paying attention.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 5

Maybe EA is underestimating just how much the online community would love a spectator mode, and be willing to pay for it. There are a great deal of players who spend most (if not all) of their gaming time with NCAA, particularly in online leagues and dynasty.

I just suggested this in another thread, but why not make Spectator Mode a DLC option that people could pay $10 for if they wanted it? Then only those with Spectator Mode activated could stream their games and watch others' streamed games. And find creative ways to advertise within streamed games. I'm sure this would cover the costs EA is worried about.

NCAA 09 sold around 900,000 copies between PS3 and 360. Let's say 3% of those people were interested in paying a little extra for spectator mode, that's over $250,000. Then throw on some ad money (say, a 30-second streaming commercial before the game and/or at halftime... "EA Sports SPECTATOR MODE brought you by Kibbles and Bits...") and the added server cost would be a non-issue. They might even turn a profit. Then they would not only have one of the coolest features on the block, they'd gain back some street cred with their long-time fans. What's not to like?

But, it's EA, so we'll most likely get something like "Create a Celebration" that they can plaster all over the back of the box.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #16
Return of the Blake

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

The producer Greg (?) posts on NCAA Strategies and he's recently commented on this in his Q & A. He said the same thing OMT has said. It's a costly feature that he's not sure if will be implemented any time soon. He is certainly aware of it and does like the idea but they have to balance out their resources.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football »