Home

An open letter to EA- from a fellow game designer and loyal customer

This is a discussion on An open letter to EA- from a fellow game designer and loyal customer within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 6
An open letter to EA- from a fellow game designer and loyal customer

I am very happy about the upcoming PS3 patch and I too think it will significantly improve the game. I am also very glad that EA is showing real effort in getting the patch out.

However, none of this excuses the "inexcusable" problems with the game that were NOT fixed when we bought it. Suppose EA had said :" We can only sell you a broken game right now. Want to buy it?" I suspect few would have. We bought the game because we trusted EA to deliver what it promised, and this did not happen. Imagine for a moment that EA had sold a solid game that did not have major problems and then somehow when we bought it we "fooled" EA and only gave them $30 because our account had insufficient funds. Then, we said: "Sorry didn't check our bank balance. But, we will try to get you the rest of the money in a month or so. Meanwhile we of course will enjoy the great game you promised and provided."

That hardly seems fair, and I don't that EA would have been happy about it. On top of all of this imagine that as the days passed and we still hadn't paid what we owed we kept corresponding, updating EA (rather generally) on when the money might be there. Should we deserve credit and profuse thanks for that --on the grounds that we could have been even more unfair by NOT saying anything?

I am glad EA is working on the patch. But... I scarcely think anyone needs "thanks" for this. I am a game designer myself and have produced games for the public. If I had messed up and cheated one person out of $30 I would be incredibly apologetic, and I would be moving heaven and earth to rectify things. And... after I did this--I would still be at fault--for letting the whole thing happen to begin with--and I would still be sorry, and I would still be incredibly ashamed. EA you did this --to many more than one person. You have said you are sorry and I trust you mean it. My message is that you should be sorry-very sorry- and you should also be embarrassed. Is this too harsh? Not if you respect yourself and expect quality from yourself. I hope EA, that this is the way you see (or at least want to see) yourself, and that accordingly that you consider the criticism to be valid.

Let me add that I am NOT an EA basher. I enjoy your games and this is the first critical response I have written after more than 10 years as a customer. I write now because I think both the consumer and EA should expect MUCH more from the company. Many of the problems with the game are HUGE and they should obviously have been caught by play testing and/or by more competent programming and production in the first place.

If we act like "Gee, EA too bad about the game but it is just wonderful that you are trying to do something now", that sends the message such error wrought production is sort of "OK". It is not!

So, dear EA,- Do whatever you can to get the patch out quickly, But please have the commitment to your customers and yourself to not settle for "making it better after the fact." in the future. It is not just about money-It is about a person's (or a company's) honor and responsibility to keep their promises, to do what they say --and to do it well.

sincerely,

Your loyal customer

Bob Williams
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
MVP

deucepoppi17's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: An open letter to EA- from a fellow game designer and loyal customer

Consumer affairs or somebody really needs to take a look at EA and other video game companies. With or without competition, it is a disgrace or even illegal the way they produce games and allow them to reach the public.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 9

I wish it were true that it isn't about money, but I just really think it is.

I really hope they blow us away next year. They actually do owe us that, I really believe.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
All Star

nyisles16's Arena

OVR: 46

Please use either PM's to contact the developers, or email to contact EA about this.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »