Home

Does EA out smart themselves?

This is a discussion on Does EA out smart themselves? within the NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
Banned
 
OVR: 9
Join Date: Jul 2004
Does EA out smart themselves?

I've been playing the PS3 version, post second patch, and it looks like they put the defense back into the game with the patch. So my question is, was the decision to feature the "wide open game play" a complete disaster? From my perspective, it looks like they patched the "wide open game play" out of the game because I can now play defense and the cpu actually misses a few passes now and then. Which brings to mind a question, can we officially say that the core decision for the "wide open game play" is a complete disaster? As proof by the patch? I'm starting to think if EA just focused on making an accurate representation of the real game instead of making stuff up like "wide open game play" we would have had a quality product out of the box as opposed to waiting for two patches.

That brings to mind another question, do you think they've learned their lesson? Or do you expect more meaningless. game ruining gimmicks for next years release? I actually wouldn't mind the gimmicks if they called the game "NCAA Jams 09" and went over the top like those other cheesy games. I wouldn't buy the game but at least it would be representative of the title...
Radioactiveman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
Rookie
 
OVR: 4
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: tha 413,Western Mass
Re: Does EA out smart themselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactiveman
I've been playing the PS3 version, post second patch, and it looks like they put the defense back into the game with the patch. So my question is, was the decision to feature the "wide open game play" a complete disaster? From my perspective, it looks like they patched the "wide open game play" out of the game because I can now play defense and the cpu actually misses a few passes now and then. Which brings to mind a question, can we officially say that the core decision for the "wide open game play" is a complete disaster? As proof by the patch? I'm starting to think if EA just focused on making an accurate representation of the real game instead of making stuff up like "wide open game play" we would have had a quality product out of the box as opposed to waiting for two patches.

That brings to mind another question, do you think they've learned their lesson? Or do you expect more meaningless. game ruining gimmicks for next years release? I actually wouldn't mind the gimmicks if they called the game "NCAA Jams 09" and went over the top like those other cheesy games. I wouldn't buy the game but at least it would be representative of the title...
This is a valid point, but we are the minority of the players playing this game. They need to market this game, and in order to do so they need to add these stupid gimmicks. I believe they should leave these gimmicks in, cause the more games they sell the more money they will be willing to invest in the game overall. I read alot of people post around here, and i can't help but shake my head. creating a good game is a process, and we will never see perfection. This time next year, no matter how good NCAA 2010 is people will still bitch about every little "flaw".

I dare anyone who disagrees to play a game of NCAA 2002 on PS2, then play a game of each version up to 2007 on PS2. Its totally a different game each year, but it gets progressivly better. But people still complained. Lets give EA some time they will get it right I promise you that.
__________________
....
turpintine419 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
MVP
 
Earl1963's Arena
 
OVR: 11
Join Date: Aug 2003
Re: Does EA out smart themselves?

My brother wants to buy NCAA 09, will it be patched out of the box? He doesn't have the internet.
Earl1963 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
#****cancer!
 
countryboy's Arena
 
OVR: 62
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Greenville, IN
Posts: 45,941
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Does EA out smart themselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1963
My brother wants to buy NCAA 09, will it be patched out of the box? He doesn't have the internet.
no. Patches are only obtained via the internet. You have to either have Xbox Live or PSN to download the patch. There may be a way to get it off the internet, but I'm not sure.
__________________
I can't shave with my eyes closed. Meaning each day, I have to look at myself in the mirror and respect who I see.

I miss the old OS

There are two things you can't get back in this world; time and money. Spend both wisely

Louisville|Cardinals
countryboy is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
Pro
 
OVR: 8
Join Date: Jul 2006
Re: Does EA out smart themselves?

You can't have a good football game without decent line play (unless it's NCAA 2005 or NFL 2k5)

I JUST WANT realistic LINE INTERACTION!!!!

Am I so wrong?
lint is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
Banned
 
OVR: 9
Join Date: Jul 2004
Re: Does EA out smart themselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpintine419
I read alot of people post around here, and i can't help but shake my head. creating a good game is a process, and we will never see perfection. This time next year, no matter how good NCAA 2010 is people will still bitch about every little "flaw".
Yeh, perfection will never be reached but I have to scratch my head at the decision's they make...things like "wide open gameplay"and the Madden online league debacle...to me it's bizarre because they have a template (real life football/NFL), all they have to do is mold a product as closely as they can after the real thing and they'll be gold. I mean really, how in the world did they come up with the Madden online league format? If I sat down and brain stormed ideas I would have never even considered that sort of format or even thought to myself "gee that's a good idea". And after playing 10 minutes of NCAA I would of said "back to the drawing board" and fix what they created, instead they end up fixing it post haste. I will admit, I see it getting better, I'm enjoying NCAA post patch 2 and there some good things like flex scheduling that could be used as a valuable part to a real online league format. The only thing I wonder about is how long will it take before the light bulb goes on in EA's head? In my mind, their decision making is embarrassingly bad. Or it could be a situation where they don't have the time in the development cycle to do it right...who knows.
Radioactiveman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
Banned
 
OVR: 9
Join Date: Jul 2004
Re: Does EA out smart themselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lint
I JUST WANT realistic LINE INTERACTION!!!!

Am I so wrong?
hehe...back to my original point, EA thinks "wide open game play" is a more important selling point than realistic line play...could you imagine if you picked up the game box on release day and read things like, "state of the art line interaction" and "online dynasty/franchise with all the options of offline dynasty/franchise" or "Tune the game to be a sim or arcade experience"???? And the game lived up to those selling points? I'd spring wood in the store. The funny thing is, those things would be 10x more of a selling point than the things they are currently trying to peddle.
Radioactiveman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #8
.
 
OVR: 40
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,753
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Does EA out smart themselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactiveman
do you think they've learned their lesson? Or do you expect more meaningless. game ruining gimmicks for next years release?
Definitely. I wish one year they would just focus on gameplay and maybe add some more alternates, D-II teams or create a school and spend the rest of the time on gameplay.

I think it's safe to say that no one gets excited about their "gimmick" features anymore.

I just want realistic gameplay. Especially realistic line play.
baumy300 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:15 PM.

Top -