Home

Does EA out smart themselves?

This is a discussion on Does EA out smart themselves? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 9
Does EA out smart themselves?

I've been playing the PS3 version, post second patch, and it looks like they put the defense back into the game with the patch. So my question is, was the decision to feature the "wide open game play" a complete disaster? From my perspective, it looks like they patched the "wide open game play" out of the game because I can now play defense and the cpu actually misses a few passes now and then. Which brings to mind a question, can we officially say that the core decision for the "wide open game play" is a complete disaster? As proof by the patch? I'm starting to think if EA just focused on making an accurate representation of the real game instead of making stuff up like "wide open game play" we would have had a quality product out of the box as opposed to waiting for two patches.

That brings to mind another question, do you think they've learned their lesson? Or do you expect more meaningless. game ruining gimmicks for next years release? I actually wouldn't mind the gimmicks if they called the game "NCAA Jams 09" and went over the top like those other cheesy games. I wouldn't buy the game but at least it would be representative of the title...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Does EA out smart themselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactiveman
I've been playing the PS3 version, post second patch, and it looks like they put the defense back into the game with the patch. So my question is, was the decision to feature the "wide open game play" a complete disaster? From my perspective, it looks like they patched the "wide open game play" out of the game because I can now play defense and the cpu actually misses a few passes now and then. Which brings to mind a question, can we officially say that the core decision for the "wide open game play" is a complete disaster? As proof by the patch? I'm starting to think if EA just focused on making an accurate representation of the real game instead of making stuff up like "wide open game play" we would have had a quality product out of the box as opposed to waiting for two patches.

That brings to mind another question, do you think they've learned their lesson? Or do you expect more meaningless. game ruining gimmicks for next years release? I actually wouldn't mind the gimmicks if they called the game "NCAA Jams 09" and went over the top like those other cheesy games. I wouldn't buy the game but at least it would be representative of the title...
This is a valid point, but we are the minority of the players playing this game. They need to market this game, and in order to do so they need to add these stupid gimmicks. I believe they should leave these gimmicks in, cause the more games they sell the more money they will be willing to invest in the game overall. I read alot of people post around here, and i can't help but shake my head. creating a good game is a process, and we will never see perfection. This time next year, no matter how good NCAA 2010 is people will still bitch about every little "flaw".

I dare anyone who disagrees to play a game of NCAA 2002 on PS2, then play a game of each version up to 2007 on PS2. Its totally a different game each year, but it gets progressivly better. But people still complained. Lets give EA some time they will get it right I promise you that.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11

My brother wants to buy NCAA 09, will it be patched out of the box? He doesn't have the internet.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1963
My brother wants to buy NCAA 09, will it be patched out of the box? He doesn't have the internet.
no. Patches are only obtained via the internet. You have to either have Xbox Live or PSN to download the patch. There may be a way to get it off the internet, but I'm not sure.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 09-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 8

You can't have a good football game without decent line play (unless it's NCAA 2005 or NFL 2k5)

I JUST WANT realistic LINE INTERACTION!!!!

Am I so wrong?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpintine419
I read alot of people post around here, and i can't help but shake my head. creating a good game is a process, and we will never see perfection. This time next year, no matter how good NCAA 2010 is people will still bitch about every little "flaw".
Yeh, perfection will never be reached but I have to scratch my head at the decision's they make...things like "wide open gameplay"and the Madden online league debacle...to me it's bizarre because they have a template (real life football/NFL), all they have to do is mold a product as closely as they can after the real thing and they'll be gold. I mean really, how in the world did they come up with the Madden online league format? If I sat down and brain stormed ideas I would have never even considered that sort of format or even thought to myself "gee that's a good idea". And after playing 10 minutes of NCAA I would of said "back to the drawing board" and fix what they created, instead they end up fixing it post haste. I will admit, I see it getting better, I'm enjoying NCAA post patch 2 and there some good things like flex scheduling that could be used as a valuable part to a real online league format. The only thing I wonder about is how long will it take before the light bulb goes on in EA's head? In my mind, their decision making is embarrassingly bad. Or it could be a situation where they don't have the time in the development cycle to do it right...who knows.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lint
I JUST WANT realistic LINE INTERACTION!!!!

Am I so wrong?
hehe...back to my original point, EA thinks "wide open game play" is a more important selling point than realistic line play...could you imagine if you picked up the game box on release day and read things like, "state of the art line interaction" and "online dynasty/franchise with all the options of offline dynasty/franchise" or "Tune the game to be a sim or arcade experience"???? And the game lived up to those selling points? I'd spring wood in the store. The funny thing is, those things would be 10x more of a selling point than the things they are currently trying to peddle.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactiveman
do you think they've learned their lesson? Or do you expect more meaningless. game ruining gimmicks for next years release?
Definitely. I wish one year they would just focus on gameplay and maybe add some more alternates, D-II teams or create a school and spend the rest of the time on gameplay.

I think it's safe to say that no one gets excited about their "gimmick" features anymore.

I just want realistic gameplay. Especially realistic line play.
It makes me sad
I post the frog

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »